Toast Mitch Grigg - Fare Thee Well, We Hardly Knew Ye

Remove this Banner Ad

Being realistic, he bombed his chances about two years ago. No amount of SANFL performance is going to cancel out that he's been on an AFL list for 5 years and delisted. That is the career over point at the highest level.

After all the biggest problem is the perceived lack of development left in him, meaning what you are drafting is someone who has proven that he is too good for SANFL, not good enough for AFL. Why waste your time with that?
Depends on the state of the list in question. Grigg could be worth a rookie pick surely. There are teams seriously lacking in bigger bodied midfielders. Get him fit and Grigg could slot into Carlton's midfield and even if he's not that great, he can be a temporary solution while they develop their young guys like Walsh.

Barlow is another one. I'd chuck a year at him if my midfield stunk as badly as Cartlon's.

Depends on the state of the list in question. Grigg could be worth a rookie pick surely. There are teams seriously lacking in bigger bodied midfielders. Get him fit and Grigg could slot into Carlton's midfield and even if he's not that great, he can be a temporary solution while they develop their young guys like Walsh.

Barlow is another one. I'd chuck a year at him if my midfield stunk as badly as Cartlon's.

Barlow is a proven AFL player. Grigg is not.

Even if you're seriously lacking in bigger bodied midfielders, why would you waste your time in adding someone who has already shown that he's not up to it? That's just adding in another list clogger into a list full of them. It doesn't act to fix your issues, seeing the idea of getting in experienced big bodied midfielders is primarily about getting your team to be more competitive and create a better environment for development; something a player of Grigg's quality has shown he won't do. It also acts to take a spot away from a much better prospect.

Isn't the fact they're speculative kind of the point of rookie picks?

There is nothing speculative about Grigg. That's a justification for a Kelly, a McAdam or a Burgess who haven't been on an AFL list for a large period of time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Mitch Grigg - Fare Thee Well, We Hardly Knew Ye

Remove this Banner Ad

Back