Traded Mitch McGovern [traded to Carlton in a three-way trade involving Sydney and McAdam]

Remove this Banner Ad

Meh, trades done. Gov has some freak skills and will no doubt be worth the price he cost. Sydney increased their points value by 600.
Crows got a reasonable SANFL talent that could turn out really good, and a draft pick to take a punt on a kid with.
I think we overpaid for a needs-player. You guys probably got slight overs for someone who you have ready-made replacements.

Meh, trades done. Gov has some freak skills and will no doubt be worth the price he cost. Sydney increased their points value by 600.
Crows got a reasonable SANFL talent that could turn out really good, and a draft pick to take a punt on a kid with.

Let’s say all teams involved are happy with the result.
From CFC prespective , McGovern’s age profile and X factor are just spot on , in fact I think he was a very fair price , appropriate for our stage of development , it’s hard to keep a lid on it.

Bit surprised to see Gov complaining about being left out of the GF team. He had only recently injured his hamstring and didn't pass a fitness test. There's no way our coaches would have left him out willingly. They had to replace him with Otten who is less mobile and ended up having no impact in the game at all.

Bit surprised to see Gov complaining about being left out of the GF team. He had only recently injured his hamstring and didn't pass a fitness test. There's no way our coaches would have left him out willingly. They had to replace him with Otten who is less mobile and ended up having no impact in the game at all.

Agree with you on that not the right thing to do criticizing previous club, hopefully it was just the pressures of media baiting him for reasons for leaving the Crows, he’s still young perhaps they misinterpreted?

His attitude definitely seems worrying, or at the very least a few red flags.

I'll be honest, I wasn't too keen on him early on. My priorities to recruit were: Setterfield, Shiel, draft picks, McGovern in that order.

Having seen the highlight reels though, I'm feeling more bullish. Does some fantastic stuff and is definitely not a liability in terms of pressure.

Think there is a fair degree of selfishness in the McGoverns, notwithstanding their laid back attitude.

Was thinking particularly that JM screwed WC over on his new contract pay demands, putting paid to any dynasty being created due to salary cap woes.

But then he took that mark, delivered up that pass to Vardy and a Magpie heartbeat (break) later we have a Premiership!

So here's me thinking they can be as selfish as they like!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If MM publicly revealed his real reasons for leaving The Crows (which IMHO wasn't for money or being left out of the 2017 GF) it most likely wouldn't look well on The Crows or Don Pyke.

Its probably for the best that Mitch keeps it to himself (at least for the time being)

If MM publicly revealed his real reasons for leaving The Crows (which IMHO wasn't for money or being left out of the 2017 GF) it most likely wouldn't look well on The Crows or Don Pyke.

Its probably for the best that Mitch keeps it to himself (at least for the time being)

Sounds like you know a bit about it?
What would the reasons be? I mean you have no professional courtesy to Adelaide so feel free to share.

He and his manager havent had any problem being pathetic since he left so why hide the real reason?

Last edited:
When you offer up your intimate knowledge of his contract. You go first...

Ah I see.

1. you have to fight the battle for somebody else? Pretty sad.
2. Everyone knows approximately what players are on even if its not public. How do we know what Buddy's contract is at Sydney? How did we know what Ablett was on at GC? ... By your theory we don't know if Patrick Cripps is getting less than Jeremy Lamb.
3. This guy wants to vaguely claim he knows the reason he should produce it. There's plenty of info out there about McGovern's contract. We all know that Carlton had a nice space in their salary cap that wasn't filled, with few senior players and not many more beating down the door for a shiny new expensive contract. There is an element of logic involved. He wouldn't have moved for less, I can guarantee that much.
4. So far McGovern/Manager have produced about 5 excuses, all different. He's been happy to hang shit on the club constantly since being traded so why would he 'not go into details that would embarrass Pyke?"

Last edited:
No theory...just a little ironic that just yesterday you were passing off half truth as fact, and now here you are trying to call someone else out on it.

No need to reply, J will be along soon to clean your mess up.

No theory...just a little ironic that just yesterday you were passing off half truth as fact, and now here you are trying to call someone else out on it.

No need to reply, J will be along soon to clean your mess up.

Half truth is better than a made up rumour.
Is he on more money than at AFC? Its pretty safe to say yes.

Maybe with J's intimate knowledge of McGovern and his thought processes he can give us the exact terms of his salary?

Sounds like you know a bit about it?
What would the reasons be? I mean you have no professional courtesy to Adelaide so feel free to share.

He and his manager havent had any problem being pathetic since he left so why hide the real reason?

My personal feeling (based on only what i have read in the media and bits posted on social media since MM told Adelaide he wanted to leave) was that Mitch had a massive falling out with Don Pyke, for reasons i am not sure of.

Its been a long time since a player admitted publicly that he left a club because of the coach.

This isn't meant to be a pot at Don Pyke btw, obviously he is one of the better coaches in the league, assuming i am right about this (which to be fair is only speculation on my part), i don't see how any party benefits if that was made public knowledge.

My personal feeling (based on only what i have read in the media and bits posted on social media since MM told Adelaide he wanted to leave) was that Mitch had a massive falling out with Don Pyke, for reasons i am not sure of.

Its been a long time since a player admitted publicly that he left a club because of the coach.

This isn't meant to be a pot at Don Pyke btw, obviously he is one of the better coaches in the league, assuming i am right about this (which to be fair is only speculation on my part), i don't see how any party benefits if that was made public knowledge.

No probs, wont take it that way.
I think falling outs happen all the time between players and coaches. Not sure how it got to such a toxic level that McGovern wanted out so badly.
Just makes me wonder why no other players are having the issues.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Mitch McGovern [traded to Carlton in a three-way trade involving Sydney and McAdam]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back