Mega Thread MLB season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Repeating myself from last season but the mickey mouse playoff format whereby division winners have to play a WC series is a complete joke, even though it will probably benefit the Nationals in the long run.

Baseball was different from the other American sports in that it valued its regular season and made the postseason hard to get to, meaning winning the division or a wild card was an achievement in itself. This had to be done because baseball is the most random of the big sports, so you had make sure the teams that made it to October had earned it. There was still the usual upsets but generally speaking, it was among teams that were worthy of being there.

The new playoff format just devalues the regular season and means a lot more less worthy teams make it into the postseason crapshoot, because Manfred wanted to squeeze a few more dollars.

The AFL are doing this nonsense with the new wildcard finals that will come in eventually, which sucks also even if it might benefit Freo.

Last edited:
Repeating myself from last season but the mickey mouse playoff format whereby division winners have to play a WC series is a complete joke, even though it will probably benefit the Nationals in the long run.

Baseball was different from the other American sports in that it valued its regular season and made the postseason hard to get to, meaning winning the division or a wild card was an achievement in itself. This had to be done because baseball is the most random of the big sports, so you had make sure the teams that made it to October had earned it. There was still the usual upsets but generally speaking, it was among teams that were worthy of being there.

The new playoff format just devalues the regular season and means a lot more less worthy teams make it into the postseason crapshoot, because Manfred wanted to squeeze a few more dollars.

The AFL are doing this nonsense with the new wildcard finals that will come in eventually, which sucks also even if it might benefit Freo.
Said exactly this last season. It’s a joke but it’s more viewership for MLB. That’s all they care about.

Milwaukee get stuck in such a strong league behind Dodgers and Padres.

Most sports are heading in this direction, I'm not sure there is a correct solution or even if it's an issue I guess it all depends on how invested you are in the sport and if your team is good every season but never wins the ultimate prize.

As a casual follower I don't mind this format and probably prefer it over the one wild card game format.

I wouldn't have an issue with only the 4 division winners making it but then people would complain about teams having easier divisions and second placed teams being better than some division winners.

But I think there is a line to draw and I agree if the AFL bring in there 'wildcard' weekend then it's crossing it.

I don't think it's as bad as some of the finals formats the VFL had in the 1920's to the 50's.

Most sports are heading in this direction, I'm not sure there is a correct solution or even if it's an issue I guess it all depends on how invested you are in the sport and if your team is good every season but never wins the ultimate prize.

As a casual follower I don't mind this format and probably prefer it over the one wild card game format.

I wouldn't have an issue with only the 4 division winners making it but then people would complain about teams having easier divisions and second placed teams being better than some division winners.

But I think there is a line to draw and I agree if the AFL bring in there 'wildcard' weekend then it's crossing it.

I don't think it's as bad as some of the finals formats the VFL had in the 1920's to the 50's.
The four divisions make sense.
That what they had before.
Wildcard is fuel for teams to go for 161 games rather than 140 and it’s already decided.

There’s no solution really. Milwaukee has been consistent every season, yet always get WildCard it seems. Besides MLB love Wildcards winning the whole WS.
I did love 2019 Washington Nationals.

The four divisions make sense.
That what they had before.
Wildcard is fuel for teams to go for 161 games rather than 140 and it’s already decided.

There’s no solution really. Milwaukee has been consistent every season, yet always get WildCard it seems. Besides MLB love Wildcards winning the whole WS.
I did love 2019 Washington Nationals.

I loved it too. After Bryce Harper flirted with joining the Cubs for 2 years, it was satisfying seeing the Nationals win the World Series in his first year with the Phillies.

It can screw up top seeds as well with a week’s break which they never get during the season.

Plus as a div winner getting through the WC then screws up your rotation for div series. I mean you play a long 162 game season for a reason and that’s where baseball is different to most sports. Smaller playoff field makes more sense

Saw off Wheeler and then banked runs when we needed to!

Huge Mets win!

Leave it to the Mets to win this one late — they have scored 18 runs in the eighth and ninth innings over six games since Monday. New York joined the 1980 Phillies and 1999 Mets as the only teams to win consecutive playoff games after trailing in the eighth inning or later.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Call should have been overturned at second base in the Yankees game but as it usually does the call goes the Yankees way

I watched the game. I agree that it could have been over turned but we were talking maybes. I have seen a few games this year where similar decisions havent been over turned either. Maybe the MLB have changed the weighting of the umpires on field call to mean more and are only looking at howlers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread MLB season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back