Most important reserves player?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
Who, currently playing for Port, is most imprtant to North looking into the future? I think a compelling argument can be made for all these players.

-Jesse Smith is a sublimely skilled biggish midfilder, something we have not had in great quantity over the years.

-Hamish, I beleive has more gamebreaking potential than Hale.

-Chad Jones, could be a long term genuine KP forward. The others who have been trialled there (Petrie, Hale) seem more suited to the ruck.

-Trotter could become the adhesive which shores up a sometimes leaky defense. Also, his skills complement a team sometimes lacking in this department.

-Perry is one of our few young KP players who seems suited to the defensive end. With Colbert and Arch soon to depart, he could be invaluable.

With McKernan and Rocca most likely retiring at seasons end, I think it is important that McIntosh keeps up his good form in the twos.

You people are just too funny. Seriously.

You'd have to say Joel Perry would be the most important of our youngsters, based purely on our needs. Firstly, he's the only talented young KP defender on the list not currently in the team, and secondly, with Archer, and particularly Colbert, entering their final years Perry's successful development as a key defender is vital.

I'd say Chad Jones.

Jesse & Trotts on talent but they take car of positions that we are already strong in

Urch has a little less talent (though not much) but a whole lot more aggro which is useful but again the half bank flanker position we are ok with

The Big Man option is again debatable because Petrie all of a sudden is getting to be a pretty handy Ruckman plus Hale (ruck who goes forward) and Thompson (forward who can ruck) gives us good back ups - having Hamish in the team might not necessarily be a good thing with team balance

Perry Comes in 2nd because we do need tall defenders with Colbert and Archer coming to the end of their careers but Brown is holding down fullback and Watt really has excelled across half back so the need, while a concern, is looking a lot better than it was 12 months ago

We have no CHF.

Full Stop

Chad Jones doesn't have to be Wayne Carey but providing a target and providing a contest would start to make things very difficult. Have the best defender on thompson, have another tall on Jones and that could leave their third tall suddenly having to compete with Hale coming down from the ruck.

This is not even including Rocca (though I don't think Jones will play in the same side as Rocca for the same reason that McIntosh won't - we'd be just a little too tall)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chad Jones.
Key Position Player, if he developes sooner rather than later it will put pressure on the other forwards to perform and gives us tall options in our forward line. Hard to find such players!

davo4030 said:
Josh Gibson
Can only admit to seeing one Port Melbourne game so far (last weekend's against Nth Ballarat), but on that viewing, Gibson gets my vote. For all the raving about Trotter, and I know Gibson is only on the rookie list, but I really liked the look of this guy.

He had a terrific workrate, clean hands, good vision and got plenty of touches. A couple of clangers, but good hands in close, and a more consistent disposer of the ball by foot than say Schwarze.

...but, like I said, I've only seen the one game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Most important reserves player?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back