Most Popular Essendon Cult Heroes

Remove this Banner Ad

You can add Alan Reid- number 2 for the Dons. Nondescript ability but had his own chant in the outer whenever he touched the ball. Strange the way supporters latch on to the unlikely heroes.

I remember the Reid chant and you`re right on the unlikely hero bit, which makes some of the names suggested in this thread suprising.

I have a couple that I think fit the OP

Budgie had that cult status. More than handy in front of goals but his career seems shorter than the memory of him.

Another pint sized rocket, Ezard is worth a mention in the cult category for being marginally taller than Liberatore but Ezard had class, I reckon, and for a small bloke he could take a super mark.

Big Roger, hitman, has cult status and the class. Sheedy had a hand in perfecting this hitman aura and used in it in the 80's beautifully. It hurt when the Bears poached him. He gave real fibre and definition to those 80's teams

Rene Kink had that cult thing or profile or something (maybe just fat) and no class but starting at Collingwood he was never reallly a bomber despite finishing at Essendon (and contributing nothing for his salary at the time). That dumdarsed TV series was on the box at the time (lol they were bad weren't they). When I think of him I just see those thighs in Black and white.

Funny because Merrett who finished at Brisbane is probably remembered by most bombers as a bomber firstly. Then again there is Crackers who really wsa a Demon but I can see his broken nose peering above a red sash.
Biased?

Willy Dick!!!! The man with the best name ever!!!
Do you remember that centre line listed, Kickett Long Dick, classic!

Dean Dick is the second coming! :thumbsu:

Its good to see many various names of Bomber players from the past. Makes you realise how everyone has a different viewpoint about certain players but yet share a common love of almost all who have worn the red&black..(Bolts excluded):)

Even Alan Reid gets a mentioned! I can remember a match at Windy Hill where Reid had been out of the side for ages and was making another valiant attempt to break into the side and stay there. Every time he got the ball,the loud cry of Reid!Reid!Reid...would be yelled out by heaps of supporters. In a comical-fun way though.

We all knew he was pretty ordinary and accepted he would never be a superstar,but it was fun just to see the old goat slogging it out with all his heart. Cult hero.

Daisy was the same,but in the champion mold. When he came back to the club after leaving for a season..or two??....all the Bomber fans were eager for him to do well and wanted him to cement a spot in the side and stay there. He did that and went on to be a very,very important player in our Premiership sides in the 80s.

The guttiest little player you'll ever see. He took some shocking knocks in those seasons. Every team was out to get us and Daisy was an easy target for those gutless snipers (usually a Hawthorn player) but he always got up and played on...except when he was knocked out:eek:

Che Cockatoo Collins. Good little player but here purely based on his name.

I'll add Ed Considine to the Michael Werner/ Cransberg category.

Add Barry Young to that group. Cult heroes? More like "very frustrating to watch-I feel like jumping the fence and strangling them" types.

Symons too.:p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

how bout steve alessio...though the few that hated him (like the moron that sits behind me at telstra) really hated him. got to meet him a couple of times, one of the nicest guys i've met.

What about Glenn "The Bolt" Manton. He definitely had cult status. Was sorry to see him go to Carlton. He always really fired up against us. Very passionate footballer.... and piss funny too! I think he did a show at The Melbourne Comedy Festival last year.

Damien Cupido!!!!!!!

I would say Cupido is the opposite of what a cult hero is. A cult hero is a player who is not overly talented but tries their guts out and develop a following because of it. These players are sometimes the soul of the club. Cupido had stacks of talent. He just didn't use it and played for himself, not the club.

I would say Cupido is the opposite of what a cult hero is. A cult hero is a player who is not overly talented but tries their guts out and develop a following because of it. These players are sometimes the soul of the club. Cupido had stacks of talent. He just didn't use it and played for himself, not the club.

Yeah tend to agree ... Think Cupido falls closer to prima donna status than that of cult hero...

Leon Baker had too much talent to be a cult hero but I will always remember those blind turns.
Paul Weston moving forward in 84 turned into an unlikely match winner with about the nerdiest celebration when he kicked an important though flukey goal.
Sean Denham for beating Williams several times deserves a mention while Shane Heard rarely got beaten and knowledgable supporters admired him greatly.

rotten ronny andrews kept the masses entertained for an eternity.....
the day he knocked dipper out at windy hill was classic andrews,some of his best work!!!

Shane Heard is a great get.

For mine, cult hero's were always those ones that were loved and respected by their own but not noticed or cut down by others.

David Grenvold.

Remove this Banner Ad

Most Popular Essendon Cult Heroes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back