ash_78

Club Legend
Dec 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
YS 🦅
I'm sick of coaches and commentators excusing Motlop's disgraceful efforts this year by bringing up his "personal issues". I have no idea what those issues are, and quite frankly I'm not interested in knowing, but if they're extreme enough to affect his performances as much as they supposedly have, then he simply shouldn't be playing. In any other workplace, you wouldn't put an employee with private issues to continually be put in high pressure situations (I consider playing AFL to be that, particularly when you're terribly out of form and your team keeps getting smashed). Just drop him, support him, get him through whatever these problems are and help him get back to his best. Right now he simply appears to be having a damaging influence on the team - he just undermines every bit of hard work and team ethos that every other bloke is putting into the club. I loved him at his best and would love him to get back there, but right now he doesn't belong on an AFL field.

Totally agree ash. His continual refusal to do what's best for the team, continual brain snaps, his body language, and overly aggressive are nothing but detrimental to the team. He is brilliant at his best, but that seems a distant memory at the moment. You are right - no other work place would keep excusing it. He should be sent away to sort himself out, and only come back if he is mentally and physically up to it.

I'm sick of coaches and commentators excusing Motlop's disgraceful efforts this year by bringing up his "personal issues". I have no idea what those issues are, and quite frankly I'm not interested in knowing, but if they're extreme enough to affect his performances as much as they supposedly have, then he simply shouldn't be playing. In any other workplace, you wouldn't put an employee with private issues to continually be put in high pressure situations (I consider playing AFL to be that, particularly when you're terribly out of form and your team keeps getting smashed). Just drop him, support him, get him through whatever these problems are and help him get back to his best. Right now he simply appears to be having a damaging influence on the team - he just undermines every bit of hard work and team ethos that every other bloke is putting into the club. I loved him at his best and would love him to get back there, but right now he doesn't belong on an AFL field.

couldn't agree more . I am thinking that maybe we should look at trading him at the end of the year, the only problem being is would we get a decent offer for him?

I doubt that he'll be with us next year. Trading him would be most likely. Alternatively we'll get in a new coach who fancies his chances of disciplining him better and bringing the best out of him more consistently.

Once again he just doesn't get involved for 3/4 of the match and only bobs up when the heat has gone out of the game.

Alot has to do with the way players like him and Ebert are set up to play in our current structure. Hard enough for the tall forwards to take marks when the ball is brought in so slowly and so shallowly (i.e. not hitting our deep areas inside 50). For a smaller player to mark at the front of an incoming pack is nigh on impossible. Ebert took a beauty in this setting tonight.

Again, it comes down to the slow ball movement from defence (cue Chaplin and co) and the mids (Cassisi, Kornes, Salopek, Logan, Carr). The forwards wait and wait and wait until they are multi-teamed.

Was it the coaching that led to this style of play or the laziness of the players?

One of the hardest things in footy is the willingness to keep running to present an option during the whole course of a game. When we do it, it tends to be short-lived and results in quick movement of the ball and quick goals. As soon as we stop, balls go sideways and backwards and we score 1-2 goals per quarter.

Someone has to take responsibility for this.........players, coaches.........don't know who.

Trading Motlop would be the silliest decision in the last few years. Time off, he can sort his personal life out, play some football at a lower level to get his game back together, and when he is ready he will star again.

He probably should have been traded 2 years ago when he was worth something.

Best outcome is probably a 3rd rounder from Gold Coast. Probably too optimistic there though.

The fact we keep playing him is a disgrace to all the players who are working hard to break into our side.

Trading Motlop would be the silliest decision in the last few years. Time off, he can sort his personal life out, play some football at a lower level to get his game back together, and when he is ready he will star again.

I'm not convinced we should trade him either, especially if a new coach can be more demanding of him and more objective in selecting him - i.e. not show him the favouritism that Choco has.

If a new coach can inspire him again, we might still have a player to work with.

what happens to Motlop for the remaining games of the year will probably give you a good indication of where your assistant coaches are at. Continued games might suggest they all need the bullet, dropped and it might suggestion that there are a few 'non-choco' thinkers in the crowd who are worth identifying and keeping on.

He can be the new Warrick Capper for Gold Coast.

I disagree.

Yes his form has not been good.

However if we are going to start winning we need Motlop playing well.

If there was a young forward playing well in the SANFL yep drop him but no one is playing well enough now.

Maybe play him off of a HBF and Salter Forward and keep rotating them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I think Motlop is being unfairly criticised.

His game last night was an acceptable level but he is being judged more harshly because of his earlier season form.

He will also benefit greatly from a new coach who hopefully lets him spend a little more time as a 'high half forward' or wingman rotating through the forward line. More like the way Malthouse uses Medhurst, Didak, Davis etc. etc. It allows them to get more involved in the game and takes the pressure off of them in terms of goal kicking.

p.s. Ebert will benefit greatly from the same treatment.

Yeah I wouldn't want to see him traded because his ability exceeds his Market value right now. But if he can't get things right by season's end, I don't see him having an AFL future. And I disagree that his performance last night, in the context of his overall season, was acceptable. The new coach has gotta make some big calls in the coming weeks or our culture won't change.

By the way Laidley on SEN right now and I think he just said H2 re-did his quad this morning. Devastating if true.

Yeah I think Motlop is being unfairly criticised.

His game last night was an acceptable level but he is being judged more harshly because of his earlier season form.

He will also benefit greatly from a new coach who hopefully lets him spend a little more time as a 'high half forward' or wingman rotating through the forward line. More like the way Malthouse uses Medhurst, Didak, Davis etc. etc. It allows them to get more involved in the game and takes the pressure off of them in terms of goal kicking.

p.s. Ebert will benefit greatly from the same treatment.

Yep. Some people are blind to the facts at this point. If hitchcock played motlops exact game last night people would be creaming themselves.

Yes I am exaggerating, but judging someone purely on their last game goes both ways. Motlop started out bad yes, but that was 5 weeks ago, the last couple of weeks he has been much improved, and while he still hasn't torn a game apart yet, he contributed enough to be selected next week.

Yeah I wouldn't want to see him traded because his ability exceeds his Market value right now. But if he can't get things right by season's end, I don't see him having an AFL future. And I disagree that his performance last night, in the context of his overall season, was acceptable. The new coach has gotta make some big calls in the coming weeks or our culture won't change.

By the way Laidley on SEN right now and I think he just said H2 re-did his quad this morning. Devastating if true.
Could see this coming a mile off, strange our high paid football recruiters couldn't

Best draft picks we have had and maybe will ever have for a long time and its a total stuff up
Motlop is finished IMO......like every player you weigh up the good with the bad and he has way to much bad for us to keep him.
Sadly as someone else posted we wont get jack for him

I doubt motlop at his age would have much trade value. We're probably better off keeping him, seeing if the next coach can turn it around and if not delist him at the end of 2011.

Could see this coming a mile off, strange our high paid football recruiters couldn't

Best draft picks we have had and maybe will ever have for a long time and its a total stuff up
Motlop is finished IMO......like every player you weigh up the good with the bad and he has way to much bad for us to keep him.
Sadly as someone else posted we wont get jack for him

worst post in BF history. you're a hack.

Remove this Banner Ad

Motlop's "personal issues"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back