MOTY - Walker or Krakouer?

Remove this Banner Ad

Swooop, I admire the Brown type of mark greatly, and probably get more excited seeing one of those too. That said...

Mark with outstretched hands >> Chest mark

Where is this coming from? It is an uncontested mark either way, there's literally no difference in difficulty whether you take it in the hands or on the chest. This is just silly reasoning by traditionilism (take it in the hands! it makes you more of a man! raaaaa)

And the pack mark thing is equally traditionilist reasoning. Honestly, using your own "if you've played footy" logic, think about the number of times you've seen someone take a hanger over a direct opponent. I can remember it happening twice in all of my time playing footy (both in the school-yard), and I can remember hundreds of quality pack leaps.

Swooop, I admire the Brown type of mark greatly, and probably get more excited seeing one of those too. That said...

Where is this coming from? It is an uncontested mark either way, there's literally no difference in difficulty whether you take it in the hands or on the chest. This is just silly reasoning by traditionilism (take it in the hands! it makes you more of a man! raaaaa)

And the pack mark thing is equally traditionilist reasoning. Honestly, using your own "if you've played footy" logic, think about the number of times you've seen someone take a hanger over a direct opponent. I can remember it happening twice in all of my time playing footy (both in the school-yard), and I can remember hundreds of quality pack leaps.

I'd always thought it was harder to mark with hands extended out, than on your chest...maybe I'm wrong :eek:

Also, I'd always thought a pack threw much more unpredicable movement forces and competition than a single opponent, but again, maybe that's wrong aswell. Noooooooooooooooo, not again :eek:

People's thoughts always vary and depend on so many things I guess, interesting how different our opinions are here! :)

You've avoided the points I made there like Krakouer avoids would-be tacklers.

To you or to anyone else (you're certainly not alone): Why is it harder marking in front of your face when the mark's uncontested? How many uncontested in-front-of-the-face marks are actually dropped?

To you or to anyone else (you're certainly not alone): Why is it harder marking in front of your face when the mark's uncontested? How many uncontested in-front-of-the-face marks are actually dropped?

LOL :)

Well, mdc, IMVHO, when you're up way high in the air, wedged on or in a highly moving pack with bodies, arms, legs, fists going every which way, you have an unstable base.

Marking with your hands requires great balance and eyes remaining fixed on the ball. Balance is best obtained with a stable base. Packs IMO, though not in your's ( earlier post) are anything but stable.

A chest mark gives one a slightly greater margin for error IMO.

And therein mdc, is the difference in our thinking! :)

Your not serious are you?

He is 4 foot in the air, arms above the head taking a mark.

if you want to get technical Krakouer has a much smaller surface area between his hands to take the mark. Unlike Walker, he cannot use his forearms, chest or any other method. Krakouer must co-ordinate his hands together at the exact time the ball is moving through the hands.

Your not serious are you?

He is 4 foot in the air, arms above the head taking a mark.

if you want to get technical Krakouer has a much smaller surface area between his hands to take the mark. Unlike Walker, he cannot use his forearms, chest or any other method. Krakouer must co-ordinate his hands together at the exact time the ball is moving through the hands.

We're not talking about some mechanical contraption. It's a mark. Both guys were reasonably balanced (as evidenced by their landing), they weren't going to drop it no matter how they chose to take it*.

*May not be true. Walker has the hands of a spud, as demonstrated by his two dropped chest marks against us in Rd 17.

Both were great marks but both could have been better. I wouldn't be surprised if someone else took a mark to beat both of them. I think it depends on what the judges are thinking at the time in terms of pressure etc. This also isn't saying Walker's mark shouldn't win (because it was a good grab) but people seem to have short memories with this sort of thing. They see a big mark and suddenly go "oh that was mark of the year", then 2-3 weeks later nobody looks at it again.

Lul whut??? Even under 10's know that a chest mark is easier, that's why you're trained to take a chest mark if possible. It's like in cricket when you get down on one knee to collect the ball...if it gets through your hands you have a backup.

Lul whut??? Even under 10's know that a chest mark is easier, that's why you're trained to take a chest mark if possible.

Exactly the false reasoning I'm talking about.

If it was an U10 taking a speccy, then yes, chest mark would be much easier. Partly because in U10's your hands aren't really big enough for marking in the hands. For a professional footballer, there's no difference when it's uncontested.

Remove this Banner Ad

MOTY - Walker or Krakouer?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back