Movements for 2011.

Remove this Banner Ad

Lachie Watts is a good footballer and although I don't know what the standard of the Wimmera FL is like, I imagine he would well and truly hold his own in this league.

He has senior football experience with both Seymour in the Goulburn Valley FL and Sandhurst in the Bendigo FL.

He's a fairly humble sort of bloke from what I've known of him too.

cheers mate - thanks for the info.

Neither Argall, Liston or Batson rested in the forward line and all kicked twice as many goals as Clark. So that arguement is baseless and very ill informed.

No one made comment on any ones ruck work so not sure where your heading there.

Saying that I would not dismiss either Argall or Liston from the good player category just as I would not dismiss Clark as a "good" player. But superstar? far from it.

May I also say I will not be drawn in on his character. That is not for me to question or comment. If you say he is a good bloke. I'll take your word for it.

Speaking of baseless and very ill informed arguments.... not sure how you can suggest that those 3 ruckman never rested in the forward line last season unless you managed to see every game. Also not sure how 10, 12 and 12 are twice as many as 7....

Can't say that at any point champs32 made a comment on his ruckwork either, so not sure where you're heading there.

Both Smith`s, murphy, Ison!! I would have thought to be a QUALITY senior player you would have had to play a fair few senior games at a QUALITY standard. I probably would say they 'could be' not 'are'..

Agree M Smith & Ison havent played much senior games, but I have no doubt will be important players. Murphys played senior footy, was in HDFL side last year. D Smith came across from Kalkee premiership side in 08 starting ruckman, was in the top few in burras b&f in 09 so not sure what you meant there. Anyway time will tell.

Speaking of baseless and very ill informed arguments.... not sure how you can suggest that those 3 ruckman never rested in the forward line last season unless you managed to see every game. Also not sure how 10, 12 and 12 are twice as many as 7....

Can't say that at any point champs32 made a comment on his ruckwork either, so not sure where you're heading there.

Thanks for the research that backs up my point. Certainly shows Clark is not a goal kicker. If he were to kick 20 goals for the year those 6 games by under 2 goals..... well who knows. Who were the other club ruckman and how many goals did they kick? Be interested to see.

When he says "He smashed both players throughout the year by a county mile" I assumed he was talking ruck work as it was obviously not goals kicked. If that is not about ruck work, you tell me what is he referring?

As for resting ruckman, most teams game plan in regards resting ruckman does not change that much from game to game. For two of those named I would be very confident they did not rest in the forward line (as a general observation) whilst the other I only seen 2-3 times and not once did he rest forward.

Thanks for the research that backs up my point. Certainly shows Clark is not a goal kicker. If he were to kick 20 goals for the year those 6 games by under 2 goals..... well who knows. Who were the other club ruckman and how many goals did they kick? Be interested to see.

When he says "He smashed both players throughout the year by a county mile" I assumed he was talking ruck work as it was obviously not goals kicked. If that is not about ruck work, you tell me what is he referring?

As for resting ruckman, most teams game plan in regards resting ruckman does not change that much from game to game. For two of those named I would be very confident they did not rest in the forward line (as a general observation) whilst the other I only seen 2-3 times and not once did he rest forward.

Your right he, along with the other ruckmen you mentioned, are not goal kickers, they're ruckmen! It would be interesing to work out goals as a % of total team goals. I would think Argall would have that one covered - mind you he DID play forward in the 2 games I saw. Im sure Clark would be in front of Batson & Liston though. The AFL All Australian ruckman last year, Sandilands only kicked 13 goals for the season. Does this mean he is not a superstar because he does not "push forward and cause headaches for the opposition" as you mentioned? Its not a requirement for ruckmen to push forward into the space of forwards at any level! Their key position is ruck Slenko, not in the forward line.

champs32 is right, he did smash his opposition, all around the ground, thats why he had the toohey won by halfway through the vote count, smashing the rest of the comp winning by 8 votes. Who was the last person to win by that amount Slenko? He is one of only a handful of players in the WFL to have been on an AFL list. The burras will miss the SUPERSTAR.

Just shut up Slenko, please, for everyone sake...

Your right he, along with the other ruckmen you mentioned, are not goal kickers, they're ruckmen! It would be interesing to work out goals as a % of total team goals. I would think Argall would have that one covered - mind you he DID play forward in the 2 games I saw. Im sure Clark would be in front of Batson & Liston though. The AFL All Australian ruckman last year, Sandilands only kicked 13 goals for the season. Does this mean he is not a superstar because he does not "push forward and cause headaches for the opposition" as you mentioned? Its not a requirement for ruckmen to push forward into the space of forwards at any level! Their key position is ruck Slenko, not in the forward line.

champs32 is right, he did smash his opposition, all around the ground, thats why he had the toohey won by halfway through the vote count, smashing the rest of the comp winning by 8 votes. Who was the last person to win by that amount Slenko? He is one of only a handful of players in the WFL to have been on an AFL list. The burras will miss the SUPERSTAR.

BRFT

Do you watch the modern day AFL game?

The "new age" ruckman is a mobile big man who is required to and does push forward and take risk to create goals for his team.

Not sure what footy you have been watching but sounds like the 1970's and the age of the dinosaur ruckman who did just that and nothing else.

Goodes, Cox, McIntosh etc they are all mobile big men now who kick goals by out running their old dinosaur counterparts.

You better go nail your stops back in your boots ready for the first game!!!!!

I'd say he was a gun but no superstar. Superstars can turn (win) games which clearly wasn't the case last yr for MM

You better go nail your stops back in your boots ready for the first game!!!!!

Goodes plays centre, Cox kicked 10 goals for the season, McIntosh 14... Not many goals...[/quote]

Oh Ploughman.

When one talks of the modern game they talk of an era not a season and Goodes played CHF last year but use to play ruck. But don't let sensibility get in the road of your argument.

Goodes could be attributed as reinventing the role of a ruckman. The athletic, leaping, mobile role and not the old dinosaur type.

Most clubs have now gone for similar ruckman as the speed of the game does not suit the slower more immobile ruckman as their mobile oponent would push forward and kick goals against them.

On the money Willy wonka, clark is a gun but not a star. I saw a few games last year and he was clearly beaten by Batson in two of three games I saw. Seems to struggle bigtime against a bigger bodied opponent of similar height. And yes he won the toohey, a dodgy vote count where Clark,argall and Bennett came 1st,2nd 3rd yet these 3blokes didn't win 10 games between them! Umpires didnt give 3 votes to the best player on winning side very often which is poor, maybe they hav favourites. . .

In regards to the Minyip boys, Walshy and John Del are the two best players in that group. Walshy is a gun and will be a huge in but John played a few games last year so not exactly a new recruit. Also if the B. Ison mentioned is Brayden Ison - definitely NOT a quality senior player. Reserves at best!

And if I may weigh in on this debate re Clarke, good player no doubt. But I think Slenko means in his argument that it is not simply about kicking goals - that sort of thing can be measured. What cant be measured is the amount of times he pushed forward hard to make the opposition ruckman work hard and also give the opposition backmen a big headache. Whether he gets the ball and converts is irrelevant I believe. The case was basically 'played a lot behind the behind the ball and would have like to see him be more aggressive'. In that case - agreed.

Play on Gents!

In regards to the Minyip boys, Walshy and John Del are the two best players in that group. Walshy is a gun and will be a huge in but John played a few games last year so not exactly a new recruit. Also if the B. Ison mentioned is Brayden Ison - definitely NOT a quality senior player. Reserves at best!

And if I may weigh in on this debate re Clarke, good player no doubt. But I think Slenko means in his argument that it is not simply about kicking goals - that sort of thing can be measured. What cant be measured is the amount of times he pushed forward hard to make the opposition ruckman work hard and also give the opposition backmen a big headache. Whether he gets the ball and converts is irrelevant I believe. The case was basically 'played a lot behind the behind the ball and would have like to see him be more aggressive'. In that case - agreed

Play on Gents!

Ison has played senior footy with Horsham, kicked 8 goals on debut from memory. Also had secured his spot in the rebels last year before breaking his leg. I'm sure every senior side in the comp would want a 6'5" forward like him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not much happening here - think I just saw a tumbleweed roll through.

The Daniel Baker clearance has appeared on the WFL website I notice.

How about we try and get an update on the in's and out's at each club at this point of the year?

Stawell Ins- Luke Cadzow (GW), Dale Hurly (GW)

Stawell Outs- Paul Hanns (Swifts), Damien Mcdonald (Swifts), Sean Mantell (Swifts), Adam Taylor (Swifts), Aiden Potter (GFL), Ben Williamson (Just to coach at this stage?)

How about we try and get an update on the in's and out's at each club at this point of the year?

Only going on what i have heard pockets!

Demons Ins- D Skurrie, A Thompson, J Ross, J Bennett, L Spasic, J Rentsch, N Pekin, S Both, B Sproule.

Demons out- M Anson, J Geue, N Kelly, B Durack, J Eastwell, D Quick, G Liston, B Ison.

Only going on what i have heard pockets!

Demons Ins- D Skurrie, A Thompson, J Ross, J Bennett, L Spasic, J Rentsch, N Pekin, S Both, B Sproule.

Demons out- M Anson, J Geue, N Kelly, B Durack, J Eastwell, D Quick, G Liston, B Ison.

G Liston would be a huge loss, where has he gone? Not sure Horsham have much in the way of back up ruckman either.

Hello,

I'm just wondering how my mate Dan "Agent" Smith from MM is looking for 2011.
Especially after his overseas expedition in 2010.

Remove this Banner Ad

Movements for 2011.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back