Murphy - Encouraging signs?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Kiwi is highly overrated on this board.

HE has similar cult status that Brock 'the rock' O'Brien' and Scott 'I'm a tofu eating bleeding from the ass clown' Thronton recieve. It's good, gives them all some competition.

Possibly Gravy, but I think Kiwi has a far greater presence in the forward 50 than Murphy.

Sure he is no Fev, but he can take a mark, he has a big body and has attitude to match.

Something that murphy lacks.

But without a crumber, then we only end up wiith a similar result, but with a worse kick for goal and a slower player

I'd be happy to see big Zach Effron take his place.

Has someone been watching the High School Musical DVD boxed set they got for Christmas???

Better than McPharlin up forward.

Seriously, why isn't there more forum heat on McPharlin than Murphy? IMO McPharlin's had a very poor season for an experienced player.

I've been pointing out McPharlin's bad form for weeks now.

The difference between him and Murphy is that Murphy is playing in his prefered position, McPharlin definitely isn't.

Also, I think McPharlin gets left alone in these forums because everyone knows what he's capable of which is much, much better than what Murphy is capable of.

I don't think any of our forwards have been overly impressive so far this year but the lack of natural small forwards has a bit to do with it.

The small forwards are becoming more effective in locking the loose ball in, but the likes of Mayne and Balla will again be more effective and accurate in their passes and set shots. Pressure is probably greater in our forward line now then normally, and the behind return is an indication of that. The players that can exhibit high accuracy under pressure are not downhill skiers. Murphy's accuracy is pretty good, and a nippy little pocket dynamo at his feet picking off the loose stuff would probable improve his confidence in contested marking. That said, the same would apply to Kiwi.

Elvis and MiJ don't seem as confident ATM with set shots, which is a shame, because they are both better contested marks.

Campbell has done nothing in the WAFL he is far from a call um IMO. Mcpharlin only has more possy's from his few games down back when they were chipping it around.
Id keep with Murphy and tell him he is the go to man and tell players to kick it to him and then get to his feet for the crumbs. Teams will still pay more attention to Mcpharlin than Murphy.
I agree Pave should play more at CHF this week with the roo's lack of a midfield. Just start Pav in the guts at start of every qtr for a few min then push forward.

At this rate we should get 30 goals aout of Murphy, thats enough to satisfy me.

I agree with this to some extent.

However what are the timing of his goals? To me it appears he seems to score when we have a run on or the game is won..Rarely does he score when we are in trouble.

I think one of the biggest things that annoys me about Murphy is his celebrations for his one touch/one goal per game.

However what are the timing of his goals? To me it appears he seems to score when we have a run on or the game is won..Rarely does he score when we are in trouble.
Think about the logic in this statement.

Then think about why people are generally idiots when it comes to analysing forwards.

The problem with Murphy is he has all the negative attributes of someone much taller than him, with none of the positives.

I agree with this to some extent.

I think one of the biggest things that annoys me about Murphy is his celebrations for his one touch/one goal per game.
Bleh, the bashing of Murphy is getting out of control. So many incorrect statements its not funny and it just proves why the coaches are the coaches and why most people here will never be more than couch potatoes/back seat coaches at games.

Murphy kicked a goal in the 2nd and a goal in the third, definitely when the game WASN'T over. While he has dropped some marks, he's still getting his confidence back and has been better with every game. He does things that the real coaches notice and people here don't notice.

Bleh, the bashing of Murphy is getting out of control. So many incorrect statements its not funny and it just proves why the coaches are the coaches and why most people here will never be more than couch potatoes/back seat coaches at games.
You're an obsequious vagina of a person, but I agree with this:

Murphy kicked a goal in the 2nd and a goal in the third, definitely when the game WASN'T over. While he has dropped some marks, he's still getting his confidence back and has been better with every game. He does things that the real coaches notice and people here don't notice.

Can't take a contested mark
Can't play off the ground
Can't keep his feet

Good kick and a decent lead...However as mentioned I think he is a simply a player for another time, if our key forward stock's weren't so weak he wouldn't be getting a game.

Surely Ballantyne isn't far away.

Nail, head, hammer.

He's only in the side because Ballantyne isn't, and neither is Mayne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You were the one last year crying about people insisting on playing youth.
Not really, I was just wondering what the hell was the fascination with it. Nothing wrong with playing older guys, I'd rather that then get smacked playing 22 kids. Even Melbourne is doing the same by bringing guys like Robbo, Whelan and that back.

Still don't see what it has to do with Murphy.

Why does everyone keep talking about him getting his confidence. What BS... he is not a fragile little flower who needs nurturing, or is he???
So you're saying that he doesn't need to have his confidence built back up? Obviously you haven't seen some of the top players go through bad patches. Look at Scott Lucas - he's a veteran but his confidence has been shot.

Murphy's Tackling was very good on fri nite but i did get frustrated with how many marks he missed. I also think this was because he was there too early and didnt time his jump. It was like ill jump for it hoping to get a free cos he knew he wouldnt mark it.

Rubbish.

Completely different roles.

Mayne and Ballantyne will be fighting for spots against Hinkley and de Boer initially.

Very true Chops, except Murphy isn't playing as a leading FF because of McPharlin... so he's either a flanker or a forward pocket... Mayne and Ballantyne's positions...

Very true Chops, except Murphy isn't playing as a leading FF because of McPharlin... so he's either a flanker or a forward pocket... Mayne and Ballantyne's positions...
You realise you can play two leading FF's in the same match. Many teams do it. Hawthorn did it against us. Roughead/Franklin and Mark Williams who plays a FF like role even though he is relatively small.

You realise you can play two leading FF's in the same match. Many teams do it. Hawthorn did it against us. Roughead/Franklin and Mark Williams who plays a FF like role even though he is relatively small.

Absolutely correct. Except on small detail:

Roughhead/Franklin/Williams can all play in the same team and still be >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Murphy on his own

Floating around the forward line does not a FF make... he may command the ball for Souths, but he hasn't done it at all this year despite it just being him and McPharlin (and occasionally Sandi) as primary targets... until he starts demanding the ball, he won't be rated...

I'd love for someone from the stats dept at the club to jump on here and let us know how many times he's been a direct target going into the forward 50 this year. My money is you could count it on one hand.

Most teams will play 3 talls as forwards.

Murphy is most often the 2nd tall, but is also often the 3rd.

Mayne can play as the third tall, but he doesn't get used in that role, and he's developed into a better player than that.

Hinkley and to a lesser extent Thornton are playing the roles Mayne fills, and are stinking it up.

Think about the logic in this statement.

Then think about why people are generally idiots when it comes to analysing forwards.

The problem with Murphy is he has all the negative attributes of someone much taller than him, with none of the positives.

I have...

When we are loosing quarters, you will find we still are able to get the ball into our forward line.

The games best fowards don't only score when we are winning, they are able to find their own ball when team mates around them start dropping their heads.

The guy simply goes missing when the heat is on, allot of his goals come when the game is won or the opposition is deflated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Murphy - Encouraging signs?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back