Murphy - Encouraging signs?

Remove this Banner Ad

Bleh, the bashing of Murphy is getting out of control. So many incorrect statements its not funny and it just proves why the coaches are the coaches and why most people here will never be more than couch potatoes/back seat coaches at games.

*Sigh*
This contributes nothing

Murphy kicked a goal in the 2nd and a goal in the third, definitely when the game WASN'T over. While he has dropped some marks, he's still getting his confidence back and has been better with every game. He does things that the real coaches notice and people here don't notice.

1 game in isolation, his trend over his career has been the comlete opposite.

What does he do?
I don't see anything out of the ordinary in regard to second efforts and chasing.

Rubbish.

Completely different roles.

Mayne and Ballantyne will be fighting for spots against Hinkley and de Boer initially.

Watching Mayne last season, he appeared to be a leading forward to me...No comparison to De Boer, slight resemblance to Hinkely.

My understanding is Ballantyne is a Medhurest type marking small forward...

Are you talking in terms of players likely to be dropped when Mayne and Ballantyne are ready? Because then I would agree.

Same role? Not at all

So you're saying that he doesn't need to have his confidence built back up? Obviously you haven't seen some of the top players go through bad patches. Look at Scott Lucas - he's a veteran but his confidence has been shot.
Guess where Scott Lucas is "getting his confidence back"? - it aint the AFL.. Thats all we ever hear from Murphy apologists - he is just a very weak player, at the ball and at the man, he has not worked hard enough to put on the bulk needed to play full forward.

I have...

When we are loosing quarters, you will find we still are able to get the ball into our forward line.

The games best fowards don't only score when we are winning, they are able to find their own ball when team mates around them start dropping their heads.

The guy simply goes missing when the heat is on, allot of his goals come when the game is won or the opposition is deflated.
Murphy will never be amongst the games best forwards, and he never was going to be.

Forwards kick goals when the team is playing well. Impossible to kick goals when the other team is.

It's the same kind of rubbish Sumich copped when all the noob eagles fans jumped in. Oh noes, team's losing, we aren't kicking goals, must be the full forward's fault who doesn't have the ball near him.

Although in Murphy's case, criticism is more warranted. But it's just not reasonable, logical nor fair for criticising a forward for not kicking goals when the ball is not delivered in the quantity typical when the team is playing well.

Watching Mayne last season, he appeared to be a leading forward to me...No comparison to De Boer, slight resemblance to Hinkely.

My understanding is Ballantyne is a Medhurest type marking small forward...

Are you talking in terms of players likely to be dropped when Mayne and Ballantyne are ready? Because then I would agree.

Same role? Not at all
Mayne will play a similar role to what de Boer is now. Defensive forward who moves into the stoppages forward of centre. Like I said, he has the capability to play that third tall role as well.

No way Ballantyne will be able to play the Medhurst type role at AFL level. He is a midget. Currently we are trying to squeeze a crumbing forward out of nowhere, and it seems to be Hinkley, who isn't doing well at it. Which is why he will come under pressure for that place in the side.

de Boer, Hinkley and Thornton will come under direct pressure from Mayne, Ballantyne and Headland. Hopefully de Boer can kick on into the midfield more permanently, and then there is more pressure on others as well.

Murph had six disposals on Friday nite, from those 6 he kicked 2 goals and had 2 score assists.

Those who say Murphy is soft, i agree that he does go to ground to easily. But I Ryan Murphy has made more tackles this year than he has in any one of his prior seasons, and is going at 2.6 tackles per game, to put that in perspective the Wiz averaged 2.6 tackles in only one of his seasons at both Melb and Freo.

In 2006, Murphy was kicking just under 2 goals a game, and this year he is kicking just over 1.5 a game.

While I'll b the first to admit he still has a way to go, I believe that his signs are encouraging, and we should leave him in there. Forget Kiwi, Murphy can still become a true FF.

A bit biased maybe Ryan?;)

Murphy will never be amongst the games best forwards, and he never was going to be.

Forwards kick goals when the team is playing well. Impossible to kick goals when the other team is.

It's the same kind of rubbish Sumich copped when all the noob eagles fans jumped in. Oh noes, team's losing, we aren't kicking goals, must be the full forward's fault who doesn't have the ball near him.

Although in Murphy's case, criticism is more warranted. But it's just not reasonable, logical nor fair for criticising a forward for not kicking goals when the ball is not delivered in the quantity typical when the team is playing well.

I agreet to some extent, he will never be one of the games great forwards (Who are able to kick goals when the team is down).

It appears though that he normally kicks his goal when the team is flying, does an over the top celebration and retains his spot.

He isn't even sighted when we are down, not marking contest nothing. He is a bigger tempo player than Peake was last year (While he was a midfielder).

Mayne will play a similar role to what de Boer is now. Defensive forward who moves into the stoppages forward of centre. Like I said, he has the capability to play that third tall role as well.

No way Ballantyne will be able to play the Medhurst type role at AFL level. He is a midget. Currently we are trying to squeeze a crumbing forward out of nowhere, and it seems to be Hinkley, who isn't doing well at it. Which is why he will come under pressure for that place in the side.

de Boer, Hinkley and Thornton will come under direct pressure from Mayne, Ballantyne and Headland. Hopefully de Boer can kick on into the midfield more permanently, and then there is more pressure on others as well.

At no stage has De Boer shown an ability to take contest marks, Mayne showed this plenty of times previously.

De Boer is thrown forward purely for defensive pressure, the coaches would not have penciled him in for any goals. Mayne on the other-hand is a forward who would have 1-2 goals next to his name (2nd/3rd forward option).

As you said in regards to Hinkely...Clearly not a forward.

My understanding (Having never seen him play) was that Ballantyne was a pure forward...More marking than crumbing.

While De Boer or Hinkely will be the first dropped, I don't believe they are playing Mayne or Ballantynes roles. As you said they are just filling a hole untill the proper players arrive, or until they can step up to their natural position.

At no stage has De Boer shown an ability to take contest marks, Mayne showed this plenty of times previously.
What part of me saying chopper has the capability to play as the 3rd tall as well, didn't you read?

Ballantyne was a leading forward in the WAFL, but I seriously doubt he will be able to play like that in the AFL. He will have to become a crumbing forward.

You just aren't allowed that space in the AFL, so marking short people aren't a big thing.

And if we are rating players on over the top celebrations, these players should never play again:

Pav
Headland
Peake

What part of me saying chopper has the capability to play as the 3rd tall as well, didn't you read?

Ballantyne was a leading forward in the WAFL, but I seriously doubt he will be able to play like that in the AFL. He will have to become a crumbing forward.

You just aren't allowed that space in the AFL, so marking short people aren't a big thing.

And if we are rating players on over the top celebrations, these players should never play again:

Pav
Headland
Peake

Ballantyne will be a wait and see senario.

Murphy IMHO will be no better 3rd option than he is first option (He certainly wasn't last year).

Headland and Peake's celebrations in the past always got to me specially when they weren't contributing.
Peake with his game has matured and seems less of a show pony.

Pav can do whatever he wants :)

Murphy can kick, can lead

BUT

doesn't chase hard enough
is soft as butter

The 2 negatives FAR outweigh his good side.

Gimme Campbell anyday...no matter how bad his Wafl form has been...at least he contests

All those people who blamed the Tarrant trade for Murphy's ordinary form should now be a lot happier that Taz is in defence.

But surprise surprise, Murph is still playing like a spud.

He can lead well, can take a bit of a hanger every now and then, but he just doesn't do enough often enough. Doesn't take a contested mark and goes to ground too often.

Keps could play that role just as well, and probably offers more by way of versatility.

I wouldn't be dropping him next week, but he's on very shaky ground IMHO.

Pfft.

Murphy is playing better than he did in 2006. We had better players in the midfield that year who could hit targets.

People are expecting him to kick bags, but here's a wake up call:

The biggest bag of goals kicked this year by any player in our team was 3 goals.

He's the third highest goal kicker in our team.

This is an indictment on the team, but thankfully for Murphy's sake, when he gets the ball he kicks a goal, and gives a better contest on the ground than others.

I am not a very big Murphy fan, but considering we will achieve very little this season, he is worth persisting with.

Campbell crashes packs and that's it. Does even LESS when the ball hits the ground.

I could probably stomach this debate about Murphy if we had taken him at pick 50 or 60. For a first round draft pick he is a complete and abject failure. He has played a little better this year than last. We have had about 7 or 8 good games out of him over his career and they were all in 2006. No where near what we need and he is nothing but a space filler until we get some real players. Having said that, we might as well play him for a few more games cause we don't have anything else yet. Campbell may be harder at the ball but I don't think he is really an answer either. The odd cameo for Kiwi will be about it.

Comparisons with Lucas are ridiculous. Lucas was a complete champion who is at the end of his career and probably won't play AFL again...well, I guess there are some comparisons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think people have to give murphy another chance, yes he has been very dissapointing the past couple of seasons but he's been ok so far this year, he gets his couple a game and is due for a bag.

People question his hardness aswell but i think he has improved in that area quite a bit , he definetly could work harder on his presenting but hopefully over time the team wil look for him more because he cant take a contested mark to save himself but is prity good on the lead and is probably our best kick for goal.

everyone wants campbell in the side for a presence but he's hardly being one at wafl level atm. If he can kick a few bags in a row then yeah by all means bring him in but he simply does'nt deserve a spot.

I could probably stomach this debate about Murphy if we had taken him at pick 50 or 60. For a first round draft pick he is a complete and abject failure. He has played a little better this year than last. We have had about 7 or 8 good games out of him over his career and they were all in 2006. No where near what we need and he is nothing but a space filler until we get some real players. Having said that, we might as well play him for a few more games cause we don't have anything else yet. Campbell may be harder at the ball but I don't think he is really an answer either. The odd cameo for Kiwi will be about it ...

And now this chestnut enters the fray. I agree in sentiment but it makes no difference now. There's been plenty of players that should have been picked higher/lower - it's a lottery after all.

In the end of the day, we don't have a Fevola or Franklin in the shed waiting to go so, for now, unless we want to go smaller in the fwd zone for some reason and while options are thin, he gets a run and maybe, just maybe, something will click and he can improve (further???) on those ancillary things that are important for fwds these days and get a few more numbers here and there. In the end, though, 1% aside, his stats are going to be severely affected by what happens up the ground and at his feet, its the curse of fwds good or bad. Though yes I admit the elite fwds have a way of imposing themselves on a game, Spud isn't one of those (not at AFL level anyway) so lets not expect it of him. If he fills a role and allows the team to play well and win (or get close like last Friday), then that's alright for me. I would like more, but it don't exist at the mo - BTW, buy this reasoning I'm working on the assumption that Kiwi is no better and that seems to be the case from what I've heard from WAFL watchers.

Not sure that Murphy will ever be able to impose himself in the AFL. I see more upside in Campbell in this regard. I believe Campbells best is better than Murphys. Spud has hardly ever had high possessions or marks. Kicked a couple of bags while we were flying, but not much else to speak of. Some posters say he's a great lead, but while that maybe the case in the Wafl at FF, he doesn't really have the tank or commitment to get much further upfield. Is basically a FF or FP that doesn't get enough of it.

Jay Neagle wasnt certainly didnt earn his spot through form for Essendon. Yet has been good at AFL level. Agression in the forward half is very important these days and I think Campbell is better at it than Spud.

I see Campbell as being a clone of Jay Neagle, but for some reason we are going to most likely lose him.

I could probably stomach this debate about Murphy if we had taken him at pick 50 or 60. For a first round draft pick he is a complete and abject failure.

He averaged over 3 goals a game for South's as a teenager in 2004 and looked a star in the making in 2006 but has gone backwards.

You've got to ask, did Ryan Murphy fail the club or has the Fremantle Football Club failed Ryan Murphy?

He averaged over 3 goals a game for South's as a teenager in 2004 and looked a star in the making in 2006 but has gone backwards.

You've got to ask, did Ryan Murphy fail the club or has the Fremantle Football Club failed Ryan Murphy?
That's a very good question.

We've drafted a few KPPs with our first pick in the draft since 2001.

Polak
Murphy
Drum

These three blokes have gone nowhere.

Is it the drafting? We all know Polak was highly rated predraft. He showed promising signs in his early years, then that was it. Murphy was good in early years, and Drum showed good signs as well. But none of them have come on.

The tall players we have developed have generally been utility types, like Mundy and Johnson. They can't hold key positions. The question is, why have we failed so much at developing KPPs in recent years?

Please! How is the club supposed to take a contested mark for him? Seriously any decent forward at some point has to be able to impose himself on a game. Crash into or soar across a pack and take a big mark when it's needed or win the ball on the ground. Lynch, Hall, Petrie, Tredrea, Fevola, Robertson, Roughhead, Lucas, Mathew freaking Superman Pavlich, first year player Taylor Walker even Eagles premiershipchampionswingman Hunter all have the ability to impose themselves on a game when it counts. These are the kind of players we must measure Murph against and he mostly comes up short.

Murph can lead, mark uncontested and kick straight. That's it. That's what he does. Unfortunately for him we haven't had midfielders capable of putting it down his throat or a gameplan based on doing so so he's been trying to do all the other things he's not very good at.

His last few games have show improvement and against Hawks he could have had 2 more except when he did get good delivery he was pushed in the back twice and the umps didn't see it, didn't pay it.

If things go his way he might stay in the team and kick a few this year but he's never going to be a matchwinner or live up to his draft position.

This is completely off-topic but is it possible for any of the Kiwi fan club to mention him without saying crashes packs and/or hard at it? I'm yet to see it...

He does though.

K1W1 averaged 9 disposals and 1.4 goals per game in 2008 AND crashing packs! ;)

Murphy averaged 9.9 disp. and 1.8 goals in 2006, it's irrelevant to 2009 though. Spud is playing like a mediocre HF at AFL level nowadays and Kiwi isn't playing well enough to take his spot.

Murphy averaged 9.9 disp. and 1.8 goals in 2006, it's irrelevant to 2009 though. Spud is playing like a mediocre HF at AFL level nowadays and Kiwi isn't playing well enough to take his spot.

And therein lies the ultimate point - Murphy is only in the team because the forwards cupboard is bare... Why K1W! isn't firing a shot I've got no idea (although he has been played down back for some reason), but with him in the WAFL, Ballanytne and Mayne injured, Des slowly finding his legs again, and the young kids not being ready, Murphy has to play. He doesn't necessary deserve a spot based on his meagre returns, but there's no one else to play. Yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Murphy - Encouraging signs?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back