Murphy - Encouraging signs?

Remove this Banner Ad

Seem to remember a lot of angst that suggested that the recruiting of Taz had resulted in Murphy dropping his bundle - so to speak - and not performing

Well he has had many chances to contribute this year and from where I sit has delivered f all - Campbell has to be a better option at least he will have a dip, create some forward pressure and put some doubt in the opposing defenders minds

He was disgusting today, just terrible, I am seriously LOLing that anyone could possibly defend this guy, just send him back to Souths please win/win.

I posed the question as a Murphy fan - was he showing encouraging signs. I am sick of all the Murphy bashing and believe that he has shown signs this year, however I also acknowledged his uninspiring last couple of years. I am still willing to keep the faith, although today was unacceptable and yes a spell would be in order it seems. Being a West Perth fan I am not oppossed to Kiwi getting a crack, however he is well below full fitness and don't think he would offer us much at this time.

Only 2 handballs, and probably both ineffective.

Could you imagine 22 Murphy's on the same team? It would be the same as 44 ineffective handballs only.

Or the equivalent of 1 Priddis.

Drove past Murphy in Freo today... in his bogan Holden ute, looking quite smug with over-sized sunnies on. He annoyed the crap out of me with that look on his face, and I wished it was socially acceptable to hang out the window and tell him he's a useless, heartless, gutless excuse for a footballer...

He annoyed the crap out of me with that look on his face, and I wished it was socially acceptable to hang out the window and tell him he's a useless, heartless, gutless excuse for a footballer...
For him, it is.

I honestly don't think he realises how much he is disliked. His reactions on the field seem to indicate this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Drove past Murphy in Freo today... in his bogan Holden ute, looking quite smug with over-sized sunnies on. He annoyed the crap out of me with that look on his face, and I wished it was socially acceptable to hang out the window and tell him he's a useless, heartless, gutless excuse for a footballer...

He probably saw the title of the thread and thought "gee... Bigfooty really does love me :) i must go out and show Fremantle my love for them" bloody fairy!!

I posed the question as a Murphy fan - was he showing encouraging signs. I am sick of all the Murphy bashing and believe that he has shown signs this year, however I also acknowledged his uninspiring last couple of years. I am still willing to keep the faith, although today was unacceptable and yes a spell would be in order it seems. Being a West Perth fan I am not oppossed to Kiwi getting a crack, however he is well below full fitness and don't think he would offer us much at this time.

How could you seriously defend him...he's been on the list for 6 years now,he's not 18/19 years anymore..he really needs to lift otherwise he will be shown the door,averaging 7 touches per game..send him back to WAFL.
Bring in someone like Clarke that way we can use Sandilands to our advantage more and put him in that goal square alone with Des Headland/Hayden Ballantyne crumbing goals.

Murphy surely has had enough chances. Whilst he occasionally does a few nice things (think I read somewhere he leads Freo in goal assists this year but stand to be corrected on this), he doesnt do it often enough or for long enough. He is a one trick pony who seems to have lost his one trick (lead, mark goal) that he had 3 or so years ago.
Here is my solution to our forward line:
- Play Ballantyne asap. He should only need a couple of WAFL games as he should have still being doing all the running/fitness work. Just needs to find his touch. With Des back last week our small forwards look a lot better
- Kiwi is an option especially as he crashes packs and provides a contest. The only problem with him is like Spud Murphy he is useless at ground level and hasnt been in great WAFL form
- Other option could be bring in Big Zac and give him a crack and play Sandi up forward a bit more
- Other option could be playing Kepler deep in attack
- Or one complete from left field could be Marcus Drum. What the hell is going on with him???? Is he injured? If so what is the problem? Is it a heart condition? He seems like the type of guy that is a better AFL player than WAFL player who has all the tools (accurate kick, good mark, reads play well, fairly quick) but just seems like the first dropped all the time. He played a great game in defence round 22 last year and I really thought he had turned the corner only to be dropped after round 1 (when he went average but wasnt on his Pat Malone). I would go with him if he is fit

- Kiwi is an option especially as he crashes packs and provides a contest.
Hahaha... oh dear.

This gets said so many times it has lost all meaning.

I'd love to play word association games with Campbell and freo posters.

Like a bunch of parrots.

Does he actually do anything apart from crashing packs and providing contests?

I'm almost convinced though. Maybe we should bring in the hired goon.

How could you seriously defend him...he's been on the list for 6 years now,he's not 18/19 years anymore..he really needs to lift otherwise he will be shown the door,averaging 7 touches per game..send him back to WAFL.
Bring in someone like Clarke that way we can use Sandilands to our advantage more and put him in that goal square alone with Des Headland/Hayden Ballantyne crumbing goals.

I for one can't wait to see players like Clarke, Ballantyne, Pearce etc play to see what they have to offer.

Pearce in particular, would love to see him debut in the next few weeks, if his WAFL form warrants.

Time for Murphy to go back to South and STAY there!!!

Ok Chops we are hardly blessed with a heap of good young key position prospects. We need to try and DEVELOP someone on our list. Murphy isnt that player. One point I really was tryin to make was that Murphy has head a heap of chances shit loads in fact and just hasnt performed. He is a back up player at best ala Buzz Fewster. Campbell, Drum, Kepler etc havent had those chances. It is about time one or 2 of them were given 5 or 6 weeks at least to show what they can do. Murphy in 40 odd games hasnt shown enough!

I think the whole point is (atleast mine anyway) that Crashing packs is more than MURPHY does! so what can be the harm? unless you want someone else to come in for Spud?
No point in playing Campbell at all.

I've been banging on about Clarke for weeks.

Offers a whole lot more, as well as potentially being a FF.

Well we can only wait and see i guess, until the teams are named tomorrow.

Maybe the thinking is Clarke isn't "ready" yet which is why he hasn't been selected. Or they were giving Murphy a go.

But does Campbell deserve a go this year before Clarke? Who knows but the Match Commitee?
I'll put 20 cents on Murphy staying.

And there is no way Campbell deserves a shot before Clarke. He has also developed physically, very quickly as well.

If I was coaching, I'd play him at full forward, and maybe 4-5 minutes each quarter in around the ground ruck work, to limit any contact.

Remove this Banner Ad

Murphy - Encouraging signs?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back