Murray FL 2013/14

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you think Moama will go Ringo? You have seen alot of there recruits up close. Are they making up numbers again?
No I think there will be some real improvement-Ismail-pace, Jones Forward, Josh Maddox -gun mid, Chris Jones (former St Kilda rookie) will all be impressive. Ben Welch will add plenty as well. I think there maybe one or two others as well. Expect them to be finals bound!

How do you think Moama will go Ringo? You have seen alot of there recruits up close. Are they making up numbers again?

I can shed some light on 3 others in Galea, Boxtell and Cornish.

All 3 of these guys were in Wallans top 6 players and in defence to this arguably Wallans only had 6-8 top players. Cornish with recent stints at Wallan and Bonnie Doon i think it was, would be the more of an added bonus to the Pies, as that have lacked a genuine 30-40 goal small forward since Michael Allen. Galea will at times go through the middle as will Boxtell however all 3 will be walk up senior players and provide much drive in the finals bound campaign.

Other news of late is the concern of number getting to Congupna training session with numbers at times below 15.

No I think there will be some real improvement-Ismail-pace, Jones Forward, Josh Maddox -gun mid, Chris Jones (former St Kilda rookie) will all be impressive. Ben Welch will add plenty as well. I think there maybe one or two others as well. Expect them to be finals bound!
Aaron Wilson has to be a huge loss doesnt he? Knock back his clearance and hold onto him.

All 3 of these guys were in Wallans top 6 players and in defence to this arguably Wallans only had 6-8 top players. Cornish with recent stints at Wallan and Bonnie Doon i think it was, would be the more of an added bonus to the Pies, as that have lacked a genuine 30-40 goal small forward since Michael Allen. Galea will at times go through the middle as will Boxtell however all 3 will be walk up senior players and provide much drive in the finals bound campaign.

Other news of late is the concern of number getting to Congupna training session with numbers at times below 15.
I think it would be a big step up from Bonnie Doon Ovens and King standard to Murray League...not sure of league standard that Wallan plays in though..

The Wallan lads played at Thornton-Eildon not Bonnie Doon.

Comp (RDFL) is drawn to play the KDFL in the rep rankings this year

I had a feeling it was Eildon Donna but Bonnie Doon rang a bell.... The only reason the RDFL is ranked to play the KDFL is because of their entry into the VCFL campionships this year as part of their ammalgamation of a sub division of the Ballarat League. The RDFL should accomadate for the KDFL rather easily if at full strength.

In saying that though the Murray League is on a slide in terms of standard and has been for 3-4 years. Don't get me wrong there are some talented individuals running around, however the gap between the bottom sides and the top sides over the years has reflected the drop in standard, not to mention some of the performances and attitudes that have been a dark cloud on the league which has resulted in what has been put on display in recent championships.

Think you might want to check your mail on the numbers at Congupna , maybe 15 at an optional Friday night perhaps other nights your standard 25 or 30.. Also think they will be a lot better side than most people think ..,

Anyone play any practise matches over the weekend or have any coming up?

Mulwala hosted Yarraville I am led to believe in what was a fairly tight contest, not sure of the final result.

Numurkah to play Watsonia and Shep Bears this Saturday at Congupna.

Congupna will host their first practise match in a fortnight.

Cobram will play Tocumwal. Any clubs involved in the night series this year at Barooga?

Rumba had a scratch match last night and although it wasn't too crash hot, i'm rapt we were able to feild two full sides. We've got our first praccy match this weekend at mercury drv but i'm told we wont have our full list available. But should be a good blow out all the same.

I'm keen to here how everyone else is shaping up though, the grapevine has been very quiet of late. I'm assuming everyone has their playing list finalised or close too?? any new additions to the league that might turn heads?

Wondered out and had a quick look at numurkah yesterday and they look a different team for 2013 in my opinion based on yesterdays form. they seem very confident when moving the ball and seem a lot more kick mark then last year. They've kept a lid on it to date, but will be quietly confident they'll play finals, we had a hit out against merrigum, in the most rediculas heat. Both team were missing players, and both coaches insisting it was just a blow out and nothing else, so it's hard to take anything away from it. But from rumbas perspective we're certainly excited about the potential of our playing group this year, though I think others will agree that there's still a fair bit of work to do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who is everyone tipping round 1 with just over a fortnight till the season kicks off? In what looks to be great year for some and not so for others will Nathalia keep pace, will Finley go one better or will Echuca be the ones to beat.

Deni vs FINLEY
MUL vs Rumba
Moama vs ECHUCA
NATHALIA vs Ton
COBRAM vs Bar
Toc vs CON

Year prediction
1. Echuca
2. Finley
3. Mul

Wooden spoon... Barooga.

Who is everyone tipping round 1 with just over a fortnight till the season kicks off? In what looks to be great year for some and not so for others will Nathalia keep pace, will Finley go one better or will Echuca be the ones to beat.

Deni vs FINLEY
MUL vs Rumba
Moama vs ECHUCA
NATHALIA vs Ton
COBRAM vs Bar
Toc vs CON

Year prediction
1. Echuca
2. Finley
3. Mul

Wooden spoon... Barooga.

Deni v FINLEY
mul v RUMBA
Moama v UNITED
Nathalia v TONNY
COBRAM V Barooga
Toc v CONGUPNA

1 Finley
2 United
3 numurkah

Expecting the purps to finally go thru a "re-building" phase, but the wooden spoon to go to TOCUMWAL

Managed to catch a couple of glimpses at practise matches at the weekend; Mulwala v StAlbans, Numurkah v Watsonia, Barooga v Mooroopna, Cobram v Tocumwal. Some observations taken from the weekend;

Mulwala will be a Top 3 side with a potent forward line capable of kicking large quatities of goals. Defensively they are a sound. What they lack is a quality ruckman to feed a quick transition midfield. Have a lot of inside ball winning players however missing a polished outside mid for forward line entries.

Numurkah will also be a top 4 side. Tall, quick and learnt to play defensive in the summer. Have a structured spine to their team, which consists of genuine 'Key' position players. Body size around the contest is still a development point however some of the kids are filling out in size. A fit Dylan Sidebottom is going to cause opposition headches this year.

Cobram in the absence of alot of Melbourne players looked to be on the right path. Very young in some areas of the ground but the injection of 'Gemmil' on a permanent basis will be an added bonus in the departure of Bongetti. Avenue to goal wasn't an issue against a rebuilding 'bloods' side however against a top side could cause headaches for the tigers.

Toc, not much to report. Rebuilding and will be improved side from 2012, but a long way off still.

Barooga fielded a young side against the cats but looked very light on in areas, with work to be done on Key Position areas. Injection of some senior players who didnt play on the night will be handy but they will be a fair way off top 4 sides.

My ladder prediction:

Mulwala
Echuca
Numurkah
Cobram
Finley
Moama
Deni
Nathalia
Rumba
Tongala
Barooga
Tocumwal
Congupna

Heard that Tonny def Elmore convincingly in the wet on Saturday and are looking ok so maybe a bit higher than your prediction...

Rushworth played Rumba on the weekend & went ok, rumba got up by a couple of goals but lost key play maker Rex Taylor with a serious knee injury.

Tonny beat Lancaster, but played their 2nd 'minor' league opponent in 2wks (played Elmore prior to that), so may get a shock at an increased tempo Round 1.

Begs the question, should you try & play teams in a standard above, below, same or a mixture in an ideal preparation..?

Rushworth played Rumba on the weekend & went ok, rumba got up by a couple of goals but lost key play maker Rex Taylor with a serious knee injury.

Tonny beat Lancaster, but played their 2nd 'minor' league opponent in 2wks (played Elmore prior to that), so may get a shock at an increased tempo Round 1.

Begs the question, should you try & play teams in a standard above, below, same or a mixture in an ideal preparation..?
same...
lower teams = not a good enough hit out to test your level
higher teams = ok to test your level but can dint your confidence a bit if you get smashed

same...
lower teams = not a good enough hit out to test your level
higher teams = ok to test your level but can dint your confidence a bit if you get smashed
for a 3 game pre-season;
lower first up to be able to try set-ups etc under game pressure, but less than normal, also builds confidence.
same 2nd to test side out and see how you are travelling against similar opponents.
higher leading into season to be able to give some players a reality check before round one and highlight any deficiencies that need to be fixed.

for a 3 game pre-season;
lower first up to be able to try set-ups etc under game pressure, but less than normal, also builds confidence.
same 2nd to test side out and see how you are travelling against similar opponents.
higher leading into season to be able to give some players a reality check before round one and highlight any deficiencies that need to be fixed.
I like it....and see how it would work well for Murray League teams, but if you are in the top few teams in the GVFL like say Rochy, who do you try and play against at a higher standard to test your deficiencies? I don't think any other team in country Vic would be a higher standard. Would you try an Eastern Football League team? I am not sure how many Melb metro leagues are higher standard than the GV/O&M. I have only played Essendon league div 2 many moons back and I wouldn't have said that it was as good as GV.

I like it....and see how it would work well for Murray League teams, but if you are in the top few teams in the GVFL like say Rochy, who do you try and play against at a higher standard to test your deficiencies? I don't think any other team in country Vic would be a higher standard. Would you try an Eastern Football League team? I am not sure how many Melb metro leagues are higher standard than the GV/O&M. I have only played Essendon league div 2 many moons back and I wouldn't have said that it was as good as GV.

Having played EFL some of the top sides in Div 1 would be a great match for Rochy and the likes, Say Noble Park, Balwyn, Vermont and Scoresby have all had strong teams recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back