Murray FL Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which GV sides are struggling to put numbers out there?
KDL thirds was pretty shot back in 2006 when I last played in that league.
I agree about the struggles for community football though. It’s tough getting players to commit. I think part of the problem is we’re over saturated for clubs and leagues.
The saturation is no different to what it was 10 years ago. Tatura not fielding a thirds team, there was talk of the Shepp sides forfeiting reserves games. Once June/July comes we’ll see how bad it is. The rapid decline is the concern which has a snowball effect.

The saturation is no different to what it was 10 years ago. Tatura not fielding a thirds team, there was talk of the Shepp sides forfeiting reserves games. Once June/July comes we’ll see how bad it is. The rapid decline is the concern which has a snowball effect.
Do the AFL care? They seem only interested in creating elite pathways, footy has always been a community involved sport, for everyone to get involved, where's school clinics to get people into participating and enjoying the social benefits of our game. I don't think there's an engagement level to get kids into comps after Auskick, there's more than just sport now in country towns as kids would rather play fortnite than train and play footy

Do the AFL care? They seem only interested in creating elite pathways, footy has always been a community involved sport, for everyone to get involved, where's school clinics to get people into participating and enjoying the social benefits of our game. I don't think there's an engagement level to get kids into comps after Auskick, there's more than just sport now in country towns as kids would rather play fortnite than train and play footy
I don’t think you can necessarily blame the kids though. Some parent’s attitude towards sporting clubs isn’t what it used to be either. Many prefer to have their weekends free as opposed to being tied up with their kids sport. The talent pool for those afl pathways will suffer as participation continues to slide so the AFL should be taking notice.

30 yrs ago. Every kid wanted to play footy.

We blame the AFL now. But what was the VFL doing 30 yrs ago that the AFL doesn’t do now ?

We blame the AFL now. But what was the VFL doing 30 yrs ago that the AFL doesn’t do now ?
The VFL did not and did not attempt to run country football , leagues or clubs .
VCFL was wound up in 2011/2012 , affiliation agreements commenced in 2018 .
Salary caps / player points , the fines that go with them did not exist .

What did however exist was a fully transparent process and appeal process for any matter which may arise .

The VCFl being wound up , introduction of player points / salary cap were all done under the premise that local decisions would be done by local people transparently without intervention from head office and by individuals who were nominated and elected by the stakeholders .

Clubs and leagues are now being told what is happening without consultation which has seen many just walk away after becoming disgruntled likewise ex employees.

There was 4 tv channels back then, the internet wasn't really around, there was no online platform games, everyone played footy as what else was there to do, and there wasn't the elitist part of the game thrown in, there was under 15 schoolboys, tac cup under 16 and 18 and that was it

The VFL did not and did not attempt to run country football , leagues or clubs .

What did however exist was a fully transparent process and appeal process for any matter which may arise .

The VCFl being wound up , introduction of player points / salary cap were all done under the premise that local decisions would be done by local people transparently without intervention from head office and by individuals who were nominated and elected by the stakeholders .

Clubs and leagues are now being told what is happening without consultation which has seen many just walk away after becoming disgruntled likewise ex employees.

None of that effects 12 yr old kids from wanting a kick

I doubt there’s a single player who’s walked away because of perceived AFL interference, but I take your point.

I doubt there’s a single player who’s walked away because of perceived AFL interference, but I take your point.
I have absolutely no doubt .
  • People copping penalities and being defamed without any process
  • publicity over their alleged involvement in Salary cap breaches ,

• being unable to play at a club , including trying out at a higher standard , because of points .
  • Salary cap reducing whilst cost of living and wages are increasing .
  • The chance to play for the dream of playing afl being over unless the parent travels the country for 4-5 years in user pay elite programs .
  • AFL wishing to determine via blanket rule, match conditions including qualification to play overage .
Also need to keep in mind the administrators who are becoming disgruntled are often considered leaders in their community and / or have family who are or could in future be players .

Good luck trying to find someone who is considered a past football great / legend , that isn’t currently employed by AFL , who thinks the game is in good shape or alternatively someone who was employed by the AFL who isn’t disgruntled .

Coaches with minimum numbers are actually encouraging people to go to work upon a Saturday rather than risk getting injured playing football .

The die hard non-paid players who have traditionally also been the biggest helpers around the club and the next committees members , are the ones not playing the game

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I noticed the numurkah team last week that the ressies team was completely made up of young fellas including the entire bench jnrs who had just finished their game. I was wondering is it because there's a shortage of 25-35 yr Olds or the young guys are just way better and the older ones can't get a game.

Anyone keen to go early on a top 6? (Team & wins)
Mulwala 17
Congupna 17
Numurkah 15
Moama 14
Cobram 10
Nathalia 9
Leaving Tonny and Deni on 8 wins.

Top 4 is all but settled, fight for the last two places will depend on a few tight wins and some upsets in my opinion.

T
Anyone keen to go early on a top 6? (Team & wins)
Mulwala 17
Congupna 17
Numurkah 15
Moama 14
Cobram 10
Nathalia 9
Leaving Tonny and Deni on 8 wins.

Top 4 is all but settled, fight for the last two places will depend on a few tight wins and some upsets in my opinion.
Think Numurkah will slide down a bit, still play finals but I think Tongala will beat them this week

T

Think Numurkah will slide down a bit, still play finals but I think Tongala will beat them this week
Hard to get a gauge on some teams, particularly Numurkah, the gap between top 3, the next 6, then the bottom 4 is quite large and some sides haven’t played good teams yet. A favourable draw might end up being the difference between 3-6 and 7-9. If Tonny can roll Numurkah twice they’ll more than likely make the 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back