My solution to this crap

Remove this Banner Ad

If North lose their first final it will be Scotts head on the line.
If Fremantle dont win the flag it is Lyons head.
i totally agree.

I too will correlate losing a final or premiership with resting players in the final round of the season. there are absolutely no other variables that may contribute to the finals performance.

:rolleyes:

i suppose then that if North do win a final, and Freo do win the flag, the resting of players in rd 23 will be acknowledged as a factor by the above idiots too? i somehow don't think so.

Maybe they could make the final match-ups more random so the teams can't plan anything more than one week out from the finals. How they could actually do that I have no idea.

Just have a week off before the finals.
Or make round 23 worth 6 points.... because the AFL has said the 4 points on offer are actually worth less.

Or enforce the rule the already have.

Or have a "no 1 week injuries in round 23"

Or have a different injury list system.
Omitted = must play reserves footy.
3 places on a "one week injury" list
More than that and players miss 2.
Keep the LTI list the same.
Better for player welfare in the long run and forces proper load management through the year.

There are multiple solutions but the AFL love "grey area". They allow it to guarantee 2 MCG finals otherwise most finals would be outside Vic this year.

I am sure Freo/Nth coaches, players and fans would be more interested in a flag than 'winning' this weekend. What really (in all seriousness) can the AFL do? If Burgoyne does a hammy on the weekend our fans will be seriously peed.

If a club plays well all season and finds itself in what it believes to be an advantageous position, good on them.

or let this be an incentive to win as many games as possible during the regular season so that way you're the team resting players in the final round, not the team getting screwed because you need someone else to lose.
What you are saying is the 4 points in round 23 are worth less than points earlier in the year.

What happens if a teams coach gets murdered, lets say and they play less games.... and it affects a portion of the season......?

Or make round 23 worth 6 points.... because the AFL has said the 4 points on offer are actually worth less.

Or enforce the rule the already have.

Or have a "no 1 week injuries in round 23"

Or have a different injury list system.
Omitted = must play reserves footy.
3 places on a "one week injury" list
More than that and players miss 2.
Keep the LTI list the same.
Better for player welfare in the long run and forces proper load management through the year.

There are multiple solutions but the AFL love "grey area". They allow it to guarantee 2 MCG finals otherwise most finals would be outside Vic this year.

There is more manipulation in your suggestions than player management.

this is an extremely rare situation where 2 teams have nothing to gain by winning in the final round. 5 of 8 finalists aren't just gonna have their positions set in stone so much that the games are meaningless. it's usually only the top team that has this luxury. north's position isn't even set in stone either, they just have the unique situation where they stay at home by finishing lower. please don't act like this is gonna become some every year trend.

Please read the entire thread thanks. You'll see a post just above that I was replying too. So settle down.

How do you legislate to stop a team not playing to capacity? The league could legislate to stop players being rested in the final round but it cant force a team to play to its capacity.

Adelaide are being screwed here because Norf are playing the strategic long game. And because Norf won enough games to be in a position to do it.

Freo are just being strategic too, their goal is the flag and fair enough. If they were forced to play their best 22 the rules couldn't force them to run hard all day, theyd play at half pace and still get a "rest".

This is still tanking ie deliberately losing with a view to long term gain (ie lower ladder position = better trade selections, easier first final = better chance at flag), but it is literally not preventable.

Professionalism in football strikes again.

You fix 'this crap' by having every team play each other home and away, and the team that finishes top wins the competition. Instead the draw is rigged to maximise revenue, then we have a mini-competition at the end of the season where the 8th place team can win.

No one is seriously arguing to scrap AFL finals but it's strange that people ignore the inequities in the competition rules, and whinge about one club acting within this system to improve their chances.

What you are saying is the 4 points in round 23 are worth less than points earlier in the year.

What happens if a teams coach gets murdered, lets say and they play less games.... and it affects a portion of the season......?

personally i think the crows were hard done by. in a fair world they would replay that geelong game and most probably win in adelaide. and then this isn't a discussion. however that's not norths problem. north shouldn't risk injuries to their players because of the unfortunate situation the crows find themselves in

(Log in to remove this ad.)

personally i think the crows were hard done by. in a fair world they would replay that geelong game and most probably win in adelaide. and then this isn't a discussion. however that's not norths problem. north shouldn't risk injuries to their players because of the unfortunate situation the crows find themselves in
Equally North should have the right to choose their own opponent in the next finals match by losing.

You fix 'this crap' by having every team play each other home and away, and the team that finishes top wins the competition. Instead the draw is rigged to maximise revenue, then we have a mini-competition at the end of the season where the 8th place team can win.

No one is seriously arguing to scrap AFL finals but it's strange that people ignore the inequities in the competition rules, and whinge about one club acting within this system to improve their chances.
Would make the season absolutely awful, and rob us of the best thing about the game, which is finals. Probably the worst idea mentioned.

it's an unfortunate circumstance adelaide find themselves in. but north melbuornes first priority is to itself and it's supporters. why would they risk an injury for a key player if they have nothing to gain by winning. they don't owe adelaide anything.

They owe the integrity of the game plenty. Fremantle's game does not affect the make up of the final 8, NORTH's game does! By "Tanking" North Melbourne deliberately manipulate the final 8 ladder positions to suit their own requirements. That is simply not on. Mark Evans stuffed this one up and should resign immediately. The Roos know exactly what they're doing and they have permission to do it, they lose to Richmond and they play them again in Melbourne next week and thus avoid traveling to Adelaide. That is manipulation, it's not just a case of not wanting to win, i'm certain every North player out there will be trying his hardest, but they are fielding a team that can't win on purpose! It won't be good enough. Of course the Crows are playing a 50/50 game at the cattery, but for the first time in years the Crows are favourites to win down there, North are not taking any chances, so they asked for AFL approval to effectively "Tank" it! The AFL is a totally fractured organisation with no real leadership, "Gilligan" is a great spin doctor, a very good orator, he keeps referring to our game as "the Industry" which is just corporate gobbledygook. He is floundering and not authoritative enough and he has lost control of his subordinates. This was a decision that should've been made in approximately 10 seconds, if Evans had any idea about decision making he would've sent North packing advising them to finish on top well clear of the rest of the table. He didn't think it through and the resulting repercussions.
I might add if Fremantle were playing another team inside the 8 they shouldn't be allowed to do it either, however they are not... so their game has no impact on who plays who or where next week.

The AFL need to look very closely at where they fixture North games next season, none of them should be a Friday night. Sunday twilight time for them i say!

They owe the integrity of the game plenty. Fremantle's game does not affect the make up of the final 8, NORTH's game does! By "Tanking" North Melbourne deliberately manipulate the final 8 ladder positions to suit their own requirements. That is simply not on. Mark Evans stuffed this one up and should resign immediately. The Roos know exactly what they're doing and they have permission to do it, they lose to Richmond and they play them again in Melbourne next week and thus avoid traveling to Adelaide. That is manipulation, it's not just a case of not wanting to win, i'm certain every North player out there will be trying his hardest, but they are fielding a team that can't win on purpose! It won't be good enough. Of course the Crows are playing a 50/50 game at the cattery, but for the first time in years the Crows are favourites to win down there, North are not taking any chances, so they asked for AFL approval to effectively "Tank" it! The AFL is a totally fractured organisation with no real leadership, "Gilligan" is a great spin doctor, a very good orator, he keeps referring to our game as "the Industry" which is just corporate gobbledygook. He is floundering and not authoritative enough and he has lost control of his subordinates. This was a decision that should've been made in approximately 10 seconds, if Evans had any idea about decision making he would've sent North packing advising them to finish on top well clear of the rest of the table. He didn't think it through and the resulting repercussions.
I might add if Fremantle were playing another team inside the 8 they shouldn't be allowed to do it either, however they are not... so their game has no impact on who plays who or where next week.

The AFL need to look very closely at where they fixture North games next season, none of them should be a Friday night. Sunday twilight time for them i say!

North haven't lost yet, though.

Teams earn the right to rest players IMO.
Its a massive risk
Lots of teams loose after coming back off the bye.
Im glad the tigers arnt doing it...not that we can afford to anyway with a potential final at Adelaide Oval..

True, but i reckon you would have more chance of winning lotto than seeing a North win tonight!

Probably right. However, if I was a Richmond player I would thinking about next week moreso than if I was one of the players from the reserves team North are putting up.

Last edited:
Would make the season absolutely awful, and rob us of the best thing about the game, which is finals. Probably the worst idea mentioned.

It wasn't a proposal. My point was that AFL is a long way from being an even and fair sporting competition. For people to whinge about one club taking actions to benefit themselves within that rigged system is ridiculous.

first and foremost this is a competition. 'this aint reality TV' to quote jack nicholson - north's obligation to entertain the crowd comes second to it's obligation to it's fans to give itself the best chance of winning.

now i know there's a rule that says 'can't manipulate ladder position etc' but you'll find it very hard to convince a jury that the two oldest lists in the competition are resting players primarily for tanking and not because of health reasons...

Well ok then force the Roos to play a full strength side.
Then we can tell them freo can rest players but they can't coz life isn't fair.

and they would simply walk around the park rather than play

they'd probably wear coats just in case they get cold standing there

they've earned their stripes and well done to them

Remove this Banner Ad

My solution to this crap

Remove this Banner Ad

Back