Game Day NAB 2 - v Adelaide at Mt Barker

Remove this Banner Ad

Your point is that the AFL owe it to the grass roots level to have their star players running out on their old home grounds.

From a high performance point of view, Sandi already had the required minutes in the legs after the Richmond game so he was only risking injury by playing.

Your point is that the AFL owe it to the grass roots level to have their star players running out on their old home grounds.

From a high performance point of view, Sandi already had the required minutes in the legs after the Richmond game so he was only risking injury by playing.
If high performance is the sole criterion why have regional games at all?

Thought Langdon really worked his way into the game and was excellent particularly in the 3rd quarter.

Weller applied excellent defensive pressure and his work in tight was good. He now needs to learn when he should work hard defensively and when he shouldn't. No point using all your energy defensively, he needs to work just as hard offensively to find space and to be a weapon. His skills are already close to the best in the team so we need him getting the ball 15+ times.

Hope both play round 1 but unless we drop Mzungu, Suban, Barlow or D Pearce, then both might miss out.

I don't think we need to go tit for tat.

I liked having a regional game. It was a fun weekend for me. Sandi not playing is for the bigger picture this season. He spent all game signing autographs and talking to the town folks.

What a nice guy and well received by the locals.

I don't mind honest criticism from a Dockers supporter - I draw the line at Eagles campaigners coming on our board and criticizing our club.

I'm sure if I had gone on their board last week and said it was poor form not turning up I would have had a less that enthusiastic response.
Well, that's by-the-by. I didn't think the dude was being inflammatory. It was a balanced post without being a douche about it, which would warrant vitriolic responses but let's be mature enough to put allegiances aside sometimes and take criticism on their merit.

Yeah, Sandi was conditioned enough, but he's only missing for one game. Does that mean he's going to have to wait until one of Griffin or Hannath is injured now? No, he'll be back round 2. Pav should have been conditioned enough, and we risked playing him, and now he has a tight hammy. If we're going on the argument that we need players available for round one, so why risk injury to them, then Pav of all people, shouldn't have played.

Let's take this on the chin, move on, and not turn this into another shitfight because an 'enemy' poster had the nerve to point something out that was disappointing. The freakin' mayor of Mt Barker said it was a big deal solely because Sandi was playing, and then he didn't. That meant it was a big deal to this community. Ross was banging on in the presser about how we're an AFL club that likes to show its face in the regional areas. The absolute cherry for this community would be to see a favourite son play in front of them. They could have been talking about it for years, but now they won't and that's sad for grassroots footy.

These games are an excuse for competitive match fitness training, they play them in the regional areas because those grounds are free at this time of the year.

They sell the idea of taking football back to the regions to dupe people into thinking this isn't about cricket holding priority over all the ovals.

Well, that's by-the-by. I didn't think the dude was being inflammatory. It was a balanced post without being a douche about it, which would warrant vitriolic responses but let's be mature enough to put allegiances aside sometimes and take criticism on their merit.

Yeah, Sandi was conditioned enough, but he's only missing for one game. Does that mean he's going to have to wait until one of Griffin or Hannath is injured now? No, he'll be back round 2. Pav should have been conditioned enough, and we risked playing him, and now he has a tight hammy. If we're going on the argument that we need players available for round one, so why risk injury to them, then Pav of all people, shouldn't have played.

Let's take this on the chin, move on, and not turn this into another shitfight because an 'enemy' poster had the nerve to point something out that was disappointing. The freakin' mayor of Mt Barker said it was a big deal solely because Sandi was playing, and then he didn't. That meant it was a big deal to this community. Ross was banging on in the presser about how we're an AFL club that likes to show its face in the regional areas. The absolute cherry for this community would be to see a favourite son play in front of them. They could have been talking about it for years, but now they won't and that's sad for grassroots footy.

If he was playing, probably wouldn't have time to go through the crowd signing autographs and talking to the locals. Just saying.

Do you understand my point or are the skull walls too thick?

You have (had) a point, but when you go onto another teams board, you need to tread lightly and realise you will get hit hard if you don't. Just chill with the vitriol is what I suggest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OK Sweetback, you go on the Eagles board and post a balanced post about how much they disappointed their South Australian fans last week and see what the responses are like.

I said I can respect an opinion from a Dockers supporter, not that I agree. We have a strength and conditioning team who make those decisions, and if he had been injured in a game where he was advised not to play we would have all been critical of the decision.

If it was all about romance we would still be back in the Neesham days - we have moved on a s a club.

If he was playing, probably wouldn't have time to go through the crowd signing autographs and talking to the locals. Just saying.
You don't go to the theatre to see the understudy, though. You don't go to see ACDC for the support bands. Sandi can sign as many autographs as he likes when he's retired in a year or two's time. They'll be able to stop him on his giant ride-on mower when he's back working for this dad in Mt Barker.

OK Sweetback, you go on the Eagles board and post a balanced post about how much they disappointed their South Australian fans last week and see what the responses are like.

I said I can respect an opinion from a Dockers supporter, not that I agree. We have a strength and conditioning team who make those decisions, and if he had been injured in a game where he was advised not to play we would have all been critical of the decision.

If it was all about romance we would still be back in the Neesham days - we have moved on a s a club.
Who cares what the Eagles board thinks?

In the end of the day, AFL is an elite professional competition. The higher the level of sport the less romantic it can afford to be it seems.

Bit sad, I married into a country family and I know how a town like Mt. Barker would have liked to watched a favourite son out there. In the end of the day, RTB and the club have a bigger priority to fill and that makes sense to me. I think (hope?) many locals who have some support of the club would get that too.

In the end of the day, AFL is an elite professional competition. The higher the level of sport the less romantic it can afford to be it seems.

Bit sad, I married into a country family and I know how a town like Mt. Barker would have liked to watched a favourite son out there. In the end of the day, RTB and the club have a bigger priority to fill and that makes sense to me. I think (hope?) many locals who have some support of the club would get that too.
Yeah, I'm sure they'll understand it. But if you can't do it in the preseason, when can you do it? If we had no intention of playing Sandi, then why name him in the team to begin with? We can manage expectation a bit better in that regard.

And who cares what their supporters think - my point exactly. Now if they would all kindly piss off back to where they belong...
Go to the Richmond or the Carlton boards and see their pathetic threads that say 'Opposition fans not welcome'. When we start having those threads, we are lost as a supporter base because we lose our sense of humour about footy. When you do that, you just become sad. We don't have to go down that road.

On to the game overall. Thanks to those who reported on it. Had no chance of watching it live or on TV, so appreciate the fans perspectives throughout the thread.

Sounds like it was a bit rough in terms of performance, but a good opportunity for some key players on the fringes (Tabs, Weller, Blakely, Langdon et al.) to have a red hot go and some seniors to blow a few more cobwebs out. That's solid enough for a pre-season game.

Any news on Pav situation or was this vision of 'ice on the hammy' just a precaution type thing?

Go to the Richmond or the Carlton boards and see their pathetic threads that say 'Opposition fans not welcome'. When we start having those threads, we are lost as a supporter base because we lose our sense of humour about footy. When you do that, you just become sad. We don't have to go down that road.
Not going to comment further, it's a waste of our time. I welcome supporters from other clubs who have come on and contribute - those who come on with a once off opinion that our club is very poor can GAGF as far as I'm concerned. I am not sad, I am a very happy person. I am just sick of listening to Eagles flogs taking every opportunity to criticize our club. They can do it on their own board to their hearts' content, but keep it off ours.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day NAB 2 - v Adelaide at Mt Barker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back