Preview NAB Cup - (FRE vs HAW) (FRE vs EAG)

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 2, 2010
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
There is 17 days to go before the footy starts for us in 2011 and Im soooo over this off season.

Time for the pre game thread to keep us sane right up until the teams are announced and its game day...

Might start the thread with a "Whos killed it in the pre season" and "Who needs to step up to get a full time gig come season proper". Going to need your help to confirm or add others as living in Melbourne makes it difficult to get down to training.... :rolleyes:

WHO HAS HAD A SOLID PRE SEASON?:
-Fyfe
-McPhee
-Palmer
-Bollenhagen
-Mzungu
-Mundy
-DeBoer

I would expect all of these guys to play in the NAB CUP. Or do they wrap up older players in cotton wool, not play them at all and save him for Rnd 1? :confused:

WHO NEEDS TO PROVE THEMSELVES IF GIVEN A GAME?:
-Lower
-Bucovaz
-Pearce
-Silvagni
-JVB
-Hinkley
-Clarke
-Faulks
-Schammer
-Sibasado
-Pitt
-Griffin
-Bradley

I wouldn't expect to see too many of the above in the starting 21 come Rnd 1 and onwards unless they show what they can do against the Eagles or Hawks. Not sure how many changes we can make between the two teams but i would love to see the above guys get a chance to prove something to the selectors. :)

IMO as long as he's fit Silvagni is a best 21, at least for now, it'll be up to players like Faulks, Roberton and Sibbo to take it away from him. It's looking less and less likely but i'd love to see Pearce have a break out year and establish himself in the main team.

I've been going over a Rd1 starting 22 in my head (assuming Barlow out) and find the likes of Johnson, Silvagni, VB, Bollenhagen, Clancee, Suban struggling for spots, let alone the Schammers, Hinkleys. If any of them play someone equally as impressive misses out. Last year many of those guys were walk up starts.

Has anyone any idea when tickets are going on sale for this?

Im realy looking forward to seeing what Faulks, Mzungu and Anthony bring to the team.

Has anyone any idea when tickets are going on sale for this?

Im realy looking forward to seeing what Faulks, Mzungu and Anthony bring to the team.

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7009/newsid/107041/default.aspx

Tickets on sale Monday for members, Wednesday for general public. Not sure on the prices at the moment as the AFL haven't released pricing. Should be an interesting new format. Hopefully the AFL will come to their senses over the next couple of weeks and make the playing field level and allow all teams to make wholesale changes between games.

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7009/newsid/107041/default.aspx

Tickets on sale Monday for members, Wednesday for general public. Not sure on the prices at the moment as the AFL haven't released pricing. Should be an interesting new format. Hopefully the AFL will come to their senses over the next couple of weeks and make the playing field level and allow all teams to make wholesale changes between games.

AU $27.20 - AU $33.20 = 3 games. Believe they ARE doing reserved seating.

I always get confused by this even though its probably very simple.
So you only get 1 ticket per membership during this period right? So a max of 6 tickets per transaction means you'd need 6 memberships.

I originally thought that was the case but a few others are telling me different. Should be able to get seats pretty easy though outside the membership priority period.

Where do most of you sit for the games Subi?

I have booked my flight across for the first game at Subi in 6 yrs or so! :D:thumbsu:

I know the time the members priority tickets go on sale at 9:00am, but would it be EDST or WST? No info on the TicketMaster webite so ill try and 9:00am and then again at 12...:confused:

A few of my fellow Freo Facebook aquaintances have asked me to join them in 116 in the cheersquad, i believe thats the allocated area for the Freo Cheersquad.
Can't wait to belt out some massive heave ho's and finally get a taste of footy again. ITS BEEN TOO LONG (im feeling like a junkie, waiting for a hit who has gone cold turkey for 4 months or so :eek:)

Less than 14 days now... FREO WAY TO GO!

The northern wing (~block 110 - 149) seats will sell fast in Summer, you will bake on the southern side. There's a map on the Freo and ticketmaster sites. I sit in block 100 and love it. It's WST for ticketmaster.

Edit: Link to map

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah reserve seating but no seperate areas for each team's fans.

Could turn very ugly hahaha

Doubt it will being just a NAB cup match but there is always that chance

Should be a cracker of a series - very much looking forward to seeing how our kids go :thumbsu:

We've basically got a "real" match followed by a practice match :D

Maybe I left my brain somewhere today but I can't work out how you get one winner from 3 teams playing each other. AFL site says the 6 winners from the two pools plus the best two performing teams of the losers advances to the qrt final. Can someone let me know how this works?

Westcoast plays hawks - westcoast wins

Freo plays hawks - hawks win

Freo plays coasters - freo wins

who is the winner????

Maybe I left my brain somewhere today but I can't work out how you get one winner from 3 teams playing each other. AFL site says the 6 winners from the two pools plus the best two performing teams of the losers advances to the qrt final. Can someone let me know how this works?

who is the winner????

I'd say whoever has the highest aggregate margin; i.e winning margin - losing margin. Or they could just calculate the percentage (i.e score for/score against) and create a ladder on that.

You have to remember there is 8 teams to progress and there is 6 groups of 3 teams.

OPT 1: If we win both games we are through no matter what.

OPT 2: Our group could finish like the below if we lose to Hawks by a goal but smash the eagles to oblivion:

Hawthorn: WW | 150%
Fremantle: LW | 125%
Eagles: LL | 50%

We can go through to the QTR finals if we have the best/2nd best % out of all the teams in the group stage.

Does that explain it?

There is no option to lose both games. Seriously. ;)

who is the winner????

There's this whacky concept that they adopt once a year in the home & away season called.. percentage? It tends to help decipher between teams with the same number of premiership pts. :)

Speaking of not being a total jerk - I think they'll go with this kettle of fish for the rd 1 of the NAB cup. once narrowed down to 6 teams from 18 i'm not sure what will happen with the final 3.. Another round robin for the cup? Surely not..

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/107304/default.aspx

HAWTHORN coach Alastair Clarkson is set to field a team of youngsters in Perth next week when the Hawks take on Fremantle and West Coast in the first round of the NAB Cup.

"We'll have about 40 guys who will be playing tomorrow and then the side that goes to Perth next week is going to be a really young side.

"We've always liked to win in the first round of the NAB Cup where we could and we've done that pretty successfully over the last four or five years, but we're putting a heavy focus on round one of the main season this year."

While his NAB Cup side will be a youthful one, Clarkson is excited by the opportunities on offer to players desperate to push their names into contention for a senior spot early in the season.

Luke Hodge has enjoyed an outstanding preparation, but is one of the many experienced players unlikely to make the trip.

With all of these niggling injuries and the couple of long term ones we may have to play a few they would normally rest to make up the 28.
The same 28 have to play in both games so hopefully we get through the 80 minutes unscathed.

Being pedantic , but what if the final scores are:

WCE 54 def HAW 48
HAW 54 def FRE 48
FRE 54 def WCE 48

You couldn't play extra time in the Freo vs WCE match as then Hawthorn would end up in second place and have no chance of first.

I would say that if that's the case then all 3 teams will go through to the Quarter Finals. Any team that's equal first in the group would count as one of the extra 2 sides making the quarters...

Of course if the same scenario occured in another group then the AFL would have a real problem.

But if you think this is a real possibility then give Sportsbet a call. I reckon you'll get very generous odds on a 3 way tie in the group...

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview NAB Cup - (FRE vs HAW) (FRE vs EAG)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back