Nathan Bock

Remove this Banner Ad

buddy had him cold most of the night on the lead but the kicks were either chopped off or not to his advantage so don't all get carried away. Frankiln is not a body on body player, he uses his speed and athletic ability to get a break on his opponent which is how he gets most of his goals. If he had kicked straight then u guys wouldn't be talking up bock much at all. Bock winning alot of one on one body on body contests means little when you are talking about franklin because he has other strings to his bow which makes him a nightmare to match up on.

Bock was excellent last night, regardless of how Buddy player. I thought Adelaide as a team stopped Buddy, and Bock was a big part of that too.

Buddy played really well in the last quarter but that was in the midfield, whilst Bock stayed back.

When Buddy cut Adelaide up in the first game, our midfield was right on top, and Adelaide weren't putting too much pressure on, which meant their defence was cut to pieces. Last night Adelaide were a lot more intense, which meant our forward had to work harder. I think that shows how its just as much the midfield, to stop the forwards.

Regardless, Bock was excellent, and is the standout defender at the moment.

If people were actually at the game they would see that most of the contests between the two, were one on one, with no help for bock. He did amazingly well on such a talented player as buddy. It was good to see them both having a chat during and at the end of the game. Obviously great respect for each other.

In addition to 7 scoring shots and 1 out of bounds, Buddy also had a shot at goal smothered. And there was the pass (on his right foot!) to Williams. There may be more, I'm watching the replay at the moment....:)

Bock did have a great game, no doubts, but I am not sure he 'did a number' on Buddy as such. I think Bock is being marked generously because his opponent is an unstoppable freak. In that sense, yes, it was a victory for Bock to break even.

In addition to 7 scoring shots and 1 out of bounds, Buddy also had a shot at goal smothered. And there was the pass (on his right foot!) to Williams. There may be more, I'm watching the replay at the moment....:)

Bock did have a great game, no doubts, but I am not sure he 'did a number' on Buddy as such. I think Bock is being marked generously because his opponent is an unstoppable freak. In that sense, yes, it was a victory for Bock to break even.

Holy Mother of God!

Franklin also has 2 contested farts during the game in which Bock didn't stop.

How would you know, i never saw a 1 on 1 contest it was always atleast 2 sometimes 3 on one.

Watch the game again then because there were plenty.

Can you Hawks be happy that you won the game without arguably the best in the business atm performing well.

Everyone is going to talk a lot about this because Buddy hasn't been beaten this year up until now.

Bock owned him in every 1 on 1, Franklin did well a lot of the time to follow the Choy's spoils but most of the time it ended up with him having a hard snap from a crazy angle.

Ultimatley Bock forced Buddy all the way up to the back pocket at one stage. I think thats a win right there, no matter what he kicked, if you can get the best forward out of the FORWARD line then its a win.

Be happy, you have a great talent and won the game.

BUt dont argue that Bock didnt pants him

How would you know, i never saw a 1 on 1 contest it was always atleast 2 sometimes 3 on one.

Totally agree. Not trying to detract from Bock but he rarely went the traditional 1v1 into the contest. Plenty of teammates ready to leave their man and join the 'Stop Buddy' action. Good when it happens to see MW and JR step up.

franklin moved up ground in last quarter because bock was tackling him when the ball wasnt even in the area it frustrates me that people cant see this. the umpiring in that gametonight was disgraceful suddenly the backmen are allowed to scrag and hold this was happening to both teams forwards. is this a change in interpretation. as for bocks thirty touches did he actually kick any of them more than 20 metres forward him and rutten played kick to kick all night hardly impressive.If you are gonna go one on one lets see it all night, he had at least two guys helping him 90% of the time. the times they were one out the delivery from hawk midfielders was woeful. Buddy and bock one on one all night with no chop out i know who im backing every time

It happens to everyone - have a look at our Kurt Tippett getting scragged, jumped all over and arms chopped anytime the ball went near him.

Bock towelled him up.

You're soft.

Bock was excellent and won the battle.

Buddy had the best ever game by a beaten player though.

I wouldn't argue with that.

Bock flogged Buddy - and yet Franklin was still very good.

The guy is just a freak - to have that much speed and endurance, when you're such a massive unit, is just incredible.

Probably the closest you'll see to someone like Lote Tuquiri playing AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watch the game again then because there were plenty.

Can you Hawks be happy that you won the game without arguably the best in the business atm performing well.

Everyone is going to talk a lot about this because Buddy hasn't been beaten this year up until now.

Bock owned him in every 1 on 1, Franklin did well a lot of the time to follow the Choy's spoils but most of the time it ended up with him having a hard snap from a crazy angle.

Ultimatley Bock forced Buddy all the way up to the back pocket at one stage. I think thats a win right there, no matter what he kicked, if you can get the best forward out of the FORWARD line then its a win.

Be happy, you have a great talent and won the game.

BUt dont argue that Bock didnt pants him

You're right, of course. Bock had a great night against Buddy and beat him in the forward line. However, when Clarko put Buddy on the ball, it changed the complexion of the match in the last quarter, giving us the capacity to break the lines that we hadn't really had since Changa went down with his hammy. Clarko's plan B, along with a immense last quarter from Hodge, got us across the line. So Bock might have won the battle, but the scoreboard says that we won the war.

You're right, of course. Bock had a great night against Buddy and beat him in the forward line. However, when Clarko put Buddy on the ball, it changed the complexion of the match in the last quarter, giving us the capacity to break the lines that we hadn't really had since Changa went down with his hammy. Clarko's plan B, along with a immense last quarter from Hodge, got us across the line. So Bock might have won the battle, but the scoreboard says that we won the war.

the thread isnt about the war tho :)

bock towelled buddy and forced clarko to put him in the middle. craig put somebody else on him in the middle instead of letting bock run round with him

ultimately, that decision lost them the game

and ive been saying for 12 months hawthorn needs buddy in the middle... pretty big call for somebody smashing the coleman count... but i reckon he'll play his best footy in the middle :eek:

bock towelled buddy and forced clarko to put him in the middle. craig put somebody else on him in the middle instead of letting bock run round with him

and ive been saying for 12 months hawthorn needs buddy in the middle... pretty big call for somebody smashing the coleman count... but i reckon he'll play his best footy in the middle :eek:

Yes but he was allowed to run free in the middle. how good he can be in the middle will only be determined when he is tagged by the oppositions number one tagger. Not saying he won't do well but I don't think Saturday nigth is a good juge as he had 10 game Mckay standing him in the last quarter.

after watching the game on youtube i have failed to see how bock has smashed buddy at any stage during the game. Ok he won a couple of one on ones but you can't honestly say he beat him convincingly. the hawk players hit him lace out once all night because of either shoddy disposal or numbers dropping in the hole. nothing to do with bock. In one instance early in the game, they were one out in the goalsquare and the ball went over buddy's head and bock took the mark, how is that anything but a bit of good luck on bock's behalf? At the end of the day had he kicked straight then we wouldnt be having this arguement.

The next time i flicked the channel to check the score, Buddy was running around with the ball in the hawks defensive 50...what was up with that?

It's what happens when the forward isn't getting the ball... You know, when Tredrea lines up on a wing, cos Rutten owes him! :)

Bock v Buddy will be a duel to watch for many years.

Bock & Rutten both taken in Rookie Draft, clubs must be spewin'!

after watching the game on youtube i have failed to see how bock has smashed buddy at any stage during the game. Ok he won a couple of one on ones but you can't honestly say he beat him convincingly. the hawk players hit him lace out once all night because of either shoddy disposal or numbers dropping in the hole. nothing to do with bock. In one instance early in the game, they were one out in the goalsquare and the ball went over buddy's head and bock took the mark, how is that anything but a bit of good luck on bock's behalf? At the end of the day had he kicked straight then we wouldnt be having this arguement.

It looks like a bad kick but if you watch that replay you'll see Buddy in prime possy, the ball kicked, Bock reads it first and nudges Buddy forward to take a well read mark.

Buddy was too busy feeling for where Bock was to get the pill

Bock beat Buddy on that occasion with great body work. Didn't help that Buddy didn't correctly read the ball in flight, either.

Ben Dixon said a similar type of thing on SEN a few months ago. However, I think the manner in which Hawthorn currently plays Franklin is to our best advantage. He's kicked 60 goals in 12 rounds, at an average of 5.00 per game, and he's averaging 8-9 shots at goal per game. He wouldn't keep that up if he played full-time in the midfield. It also assumes that we have somebody who can take up the slack and be a key forward to help Roughead out. Thorp and Dowler have been drafted with that in mind, but they haven't proven anything yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Nathan Bock

Remove this Banner Ad

Back