Mega Thread Nathan Buckley coaching Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

I've never been able to understand what satisfaction trolling brings people.
Surely if you want to stir things up you just front up and have a go, rather than hiding behind an alias.

It's only over the internet after all.

Jeez You are Harsh.

The MM Team was going Steadily Backwards and did not have another Flag in It.

So Bucks had to Re-Tool the Side with High Draft Picks and Brining in Players that can play his System. Not MM
And we've continually gone backwards, at and let's be honest is a very accelerated and alarming rate

Only this year brining in actual high draft picks, not just late first rounders.

And we've continually gone backwards, at and let's be honest is a very accelerated and alarming rate

Only this year brining in actual high draft picks, not just late first rounders.

An accelerated and alarming rate? We are in a rebuild and still haven't missed the finals.

Kind of hard to bring in high draft picks when 8/10 of them have been going to GC/GWS over the past few seasons.

Sounds eerily similar to 2004 & 2005 Opti but we didn't win 16 and 13 games in 2004 & 2005.

If it's about how good a coach is and not about how good the players are that you have available, surely carlton would have done better then 11 wins and 11 losses?

I'm sure you'll agree Grundy is no ordinary late 1st rounder.

I can see why its frustrating not seeing the Pies as a dominant force as we were in 2010 & 2011, I for one am one of those, however coming on here and saying Buckley can't coach is stupid. Saying that after 2 NAB games our season is over and it's all doom and gloom is laughable. The club has chosen to go in a certain direction and i am happy it has done that, our recruiting is the envy of the league. What club's (GWS and Gold Coast excluded) would not give to have 5 1st rounders ( 6 if you include Adams) to come into the club in 2 years. With our facilities and our proven track record of development i am expecting at least 4 of the 6 to be 200+ gamers and maybe 2 to be solid contributors. We still have a relatively young list, keep that in mind while having a very experienced list as far as games played. This is rare and good to have. I expect the Pies to be challenging for the flag in 2015 - 2018. Those 4 season i expect us to claim at least 1 more flag. Our club is in a very good position finacially and player wise. Our game plan is developing and bucks is learning. Keep in mind it took MM 10 years to win one, i remember MM saying through seasons 2006 - 2009 that "we don't have the cattle" to compete with the better sides. Geelong has proven that the draft and develop your own method works, (add 2 or 3 as needed when needed) we have proven it too as has Hawthorn in the recent seasons. Collingwood has a bright future on field and off field. Head up look beyond the NAB cup................

The way I see any sports team I follow is you are either in a championship winning "window" or you are planning to get how to get back to one.

From 2009 to 2011 we were in that window, now we are not, yet the club has managed before that period started (06-08) and after (12-13) make the finals.

And now, over the past few seasons we have bought in more potentially young quality players than in just about any period I can remember in a 2-3 season stretch.

I honestly couldn't be happier with the direction this club is headed in, come 2015-2017, and maybe even beyond that we will be a fricking powerhouse, just you wait and see, and I'm not alone in that, some very astute journos have written articles over the past few weeks saying the same thing.

I honestly couldn't care who the coach is anymore but if I look back at us in 2018 and the last premiership we have to our name is 2010 then I most certainly will cry, a lot.

I honestly couldn't care who the coach is anymore but if I look back at us in 2018 and the last premiership we have to our name is 2010 then I most certainly will cry, a lot.
Could easily happen. Demetriou will stop at nothing to see his new northern teams win a premiership or 3, for the good of their future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if anyone saw the quick little grab Fox Footy did of Daisy and Mick when they were both at the pies; but I did and it almost brought a tear to my eye.

This Football Club was actually the envy of the nation on October 2nd 2010. Now it is a shadow of what it was that day.

A change of coach, unsettling the club and an exodus of some great contributors of that triumph. I find it so difficult to fathom how the majority of Pies fans aren't asking more of the difficult questions. We had finally built a list that was primed to challenge for 5 years and all we did was waste it. People to have left the club since Mick have been.

- Thomas
- Wellingham
- Dawes
- Davis
- Shaw
- Buttifant

And we have treated some of our premiership heroes like dirt.

It is a shame but the reality is, if the succession plan had not been implemented or we reneged on it; we more than likely would have had another flag and a much more harmonious football club.

After 2 NAB Cup games, it seems nothing has changed from the last 2 seasons. It is the same crap playing under a bloke who just can't coach. Great player and legend of the club but cannot coach pigs to be dirty.
There is no doubt we under achieved with the playing stocks we had. Talk of 3 flags was on the cards after 2010. We should've been the next Brisbane Lions.

There is no doubt we under achieved with the playing stocks we had. Talk of 3 flags was on the cards after 2010. We should've been the next Brisbane Lions.

With their salary cap concessions and the pick of another team's players, we probably could have.

Or are we ignoring the multitude of leg ups given to the Brions now?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here come the Buckley bashers that I have been hearing so much about.
C'mon, Side By Side hey?
Bucks must go. He is not Mick. Even though Mick defaulted on a bloody lucrative contract which he agreed to, signed and even bragged he helped author and went to join the lowest organisation, next to the Illuminatti, for a fistful of filthy lucre.
Mick did not need a a "useby date" on his contract he would have won a flag at any moment no matter what as he did in 2011....Oh! Wait?
Eddie is bad for the club, this is evident from his last 15 years of failure.Every decision he, Pert and the Board have made over the last 15 years has been a step backwards,that why the club is in such financial distress, why the side has only won a flag in 3 years, rather than the average 20...(wakey wakey you young forgetful whipper snapper types...32 years then 20 years!!!!!)

Any one of the hundreds of other untried coaches wandering in the footy wilderness would be performing much better than Bucks, with any one of the thousands of better recruits out there just lying about that a decent recruiter would have picked if we had one, and..... they would be even fitter if we still had that bloke who opted to **** off to be with his old mate, rather than show some loyalty.

These threads just smack of bored shitlessness............................

Bring on the footy and lets smack some Carlton arse.:D

Sounds eerily similar to 2004 & 2005 Opti but we didn't win 16 and 13 games in 2004 & 2005.

If it's about how good a coach is and not about how good the players are that you have available, surely carlton would have done better then 11 wins and 11 losses?

I'm sure you'll agree Grundy is no ordinary late 1st rounder.
Hmm what about the other two?

Also please dont compare the 04/05 lists. Just like the 02/03 don't hold a candle to 10/11. It's revisionism to think list talent if then or not w is even partly similar

There was talk of a dynasty after 2010 but that was just crap. It is the failure of the club to meet unrealistic expectations of a few that drives this discussion. If not for a lucky bounce the Malthouse era would have ended with four GF loses and no flag. The team did not have the class or depth of Brisbane or Geelong. Just accept that your expectations were unrealistic and move on. Malthouse was not the messiah and the list was good but not great.

An accelerated and alarming rate? We are in a rebuild and still haven't missed the finals.

Kind of hard to bring in high draft picks when 8/10 of them have been going to GC/GWS over the past few seasons.
We were rebuilding in 12/13? Since when? Our coach was talking about top 4 abd premiership this time last year'

There was talk of a dynasty after 2010 but that was just crap. It is the failure of the club to meet unrealistic expectations of a few that drives this discussion. If not for a lucky bounce the Malthouse era would have ended with four GF loses and no flag. The team did not have the class or depth of Brisbane or Geelong. Just accept that your expectations were unrealistic and move on. Malthouse was not the messiah and the list was good but not great.
Youngest premiership team in the modern era. Beat everysire that year, only lost to one the year after.

We kissed our list and dynasty into the wind. The very least a second flag was not unrealistic. Until we started internally tearing ourselves to shreds

I'm sorry but that is rubbish. We won the second GF by a smashing margin, Pendlebury back from gatro dominated and helped. St Kilda were never in the game we were that good!
Then destroyed all comers and won a NAB without lifting a finger.
Then in 2011 we were destroying teams in the wet by 100+ on the MCG and had the greatest ever percentage I had ever seen.
Until Mick went on the footy show we were the greatest side for 1 3/4 years I've seen for pure pressure and want to win.

Jeez You are Harsh.

The MM Team was going Steadily Backwards and did not have another Flag in It.

So Bucks had to Re-Tool the Side with High Draft Picks and Brining in Players that can play his System. Not MM

What a load of crap, we were 4 goals up before half time in 2011 grand final after dominating the year.

History shows that MM got his nose out of joint with the whole coaching thing ( yes he is to blame for that )

We were hurt by key personel injuries late in the year leading into the finals that year

Even during the GF it was podsiadly getting injured which turned the game their way ( pure luck for them as i couldnt see scott subbing him ) along with a shocking umpiring decision not to pay a clear mark to swan in the back pocket which resulted in a bounce down which jolly knocked over the line resulting in a free and goal to bartel.

Tarrant not taking the ball over the line late in the 2nd qtr also was criticsl costing a goal that never should of been

And we cant have been that bad a side the next year as we made the prelim and had to play a couple days after jmacs funeral, hardly the best preparation for any game.

Dont mean to be harping on but i am incensed at the steady decline that has happened to our club.

What should of happened in my opinion was buckley should of tapped eddie on the shoulder and said we are going to well to rock the boat here, extended malthouses contract a month out from the 2011 finals and made buckley the reserves coach for seasons 2012-13 so he can get experience instead of learning on the job. Then taken the reigns in 2014.

What annoys me the most is that u get very few chances to be at the top to seriously compete for a premiership, we pulled apart a side because we wanted it to be buckleys side. What a load of bullshit, thats just excuses for underacheiving.

I know i will probably cop a lot of grief for this but ive been following the club now for 35 years and ive seen a lot in my time. But i never thought we would throw away a chance of sustained premiership success. We were the youngest side to win a premiership in 30 years remember, 3 years later half the side has gone

I believe we could have, and probably should hav won 3 in a row 2010-12 if we had the balls to make that decision to reappoint malthouse a month out from 2011 finals.

So... we had the list that was the envy of the nation, yet we managed to draw the first grand final instead of, you know, just winning it (when was the last time that happened?), and then losing the following year with the same infallible coach.

If I didn't know better, I'd say it was just a classic case of over-rating the team you barrack for.

But look, one thing I believe should have been written in to the succession plan was a provision whereby a Premiership granted Malthouse at least an extra year. We'll just never know what might have been. But we should be thankful for the 2010 premiership. Anything more is just greedy.

What a load of crap, we were 4 goals up before half time in 2011 grand final after dominating the year.

History shows that MM got his nose out of joint with the whole coaching thing ( yes he is to blame for that )

We were hurt by key personel injuries late in the year leading into the finals that year

Even during the GF it was podsiadly getting injured which turned the game their way ( pure luck for them as i couldnt see scott subbing him ) along with a shocking umpiring decision not to pay a clear mark to swan in the back pocket which resulted in a bounce down which jolly knocked over the line resulting in a free and goal to bartel.

Tarrant not taking the ball over the line late in the 2nd qtr also was criticsl costing a goal that never should of been

And we cant have been that bad a side the next year as we made the prelim and had to play a couple days after jmacs funeral, hardly the best preparation for any game.

Dont mean to be harping on but i am incensed at the steady decline that has happened to our club.

What should of happened in my opinion was buckley should of tapped eddie on the shoulder and said we are going to well to rock the boat here, extended malthouses contract a month out from the 2011 finals and made buckley the reserves coach for seasons 2012-13 so he can get experience instead of learning on the job. Then taken the reigns in 2014.

What annoys me the most is that u get very few chances to be at the top to seriously compete for a premiership, we pulled apart a side because we wanted it to be buckleys side. What a load of bullshit, thats just excuses for underacheiving.

I know i will probably cop a lot of grief for this but ive been following the club now for 35 years and ive seen a lot in my time. But i never thought we would throw away a chance of sustained premiership success. We were the youngest side to win a premiership in 30 years remember, 3 years later half the side has gone

I believe we could have, and probably should hav won 3 in a row 2010-12 if we had the balls to make that decision to reappoint malthouse a month out from 2011 finals.
The truth is spoken. It hurts to hear it but any supporter that doesn't understand this post chooses to bury their head in the sand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Nathan Buckley coaching Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back