Player Watch Nathan Kreuger

Remove this Banner Ad

I keep needing reminding that Krueg’s played so few games. He’s a funny footballer - as in I can’t quite get a handle on him - although he doesn’t hold back. Still not seeing much in the way of forward craft, but desperate times call for desperate measures when selecting the weekly side.
Agree, was amazed yesterday to hear that Cadman has already played 27 games and yet Kreugs, who is 5 years older has only played 14 games. Any wonder he lacks a bit of forward craft - hopefully he will play all the remaining games this year and we get to see what he can do after he's had some continuity in his game.

I keep needing reminding that Krueg’s played so few games. He’s a funny footballer - as in I can’t quite get a handle on him - although he doesn’t hold back. Still not seeing much in the way of forward craft, but desperate times call for desperate measures when selecting the weekly side.
I was a bit worried his kamikaze style had returned last week. He seemed to have kept it largely under control the previous few weeks.

Agree, was amazed yesterday to hear that Cadman has already played 27 games and yet Kreugs, who is 5 years older has only played 14 games. Any wonder he lacks a bit of forward craft - hopefully he will play all the remaining games this year and we get to see what he can do after he's had some continuity in his game.

It's not just "forward craft" that he lacks....he's a 6'4" bullet train THAT can't take a mark over his head. All this stuff about bringing it to ground is fine if you also clunk a few yourself. NK can't mark....if its not on his chest he's not gonna mark it

It's not just "forward craft" that he lacks....he's a 6'4" bullet train THAT can't take a mark over his head. All this stuff about bringing it to ground is fine if you also clunk a few yourself. NK can't mark....if its not on his chest he's not gonna mark it

Wayne Carey was unable to mark overhead in the final years of his career. Went OK.

NK's shoulder function might improve with time. His restricted range-of-motion is not necessarily permanent.

Unfortunately, you're spot on. Really average mark and clumsy when he tries it.

If I’m worried about any aspect of his game, it’s not his marking. He can and does clunk them, just not often enough for BF posters it seems. I’m more worried about his ground ball fumbles. Having said that, I think he’ll improve in both aspects with more senior experience.

He did take an overhead contested mark in a pack on Friday which resulted in a shot for goal. Although I don't think he was actually trying to mark it and his eyes may have been shut. It was a courageous back into the pack.

I find it somewhat fitting that Frampton got mentioned earlier in this thread, as I think he and Kreuger fit into the same category of a player that benefits from those around them. Kreuger i50 with a fit and firing Mcstay and Mihocek combo can be a genuine weapon imo, he's got good size, athleticism and aggression which means getting a third/fourth opposition defender makes him a dangerous mismatch for the opposing coaches box.

Similar story to Frampton, he's a shutdown solid KPD, who when Moore/Murphy (pre retirement) were on song, he was able to stick to a defensive task and shut out the most dangerous KPF. He's gotten exposed in recent weeks given our defensive structure issues, but when we're in form it makes easier for Frampton to latch on to a KPF and allow the others to intercept and provide support, something he hasn't had in recent games.

Neither are going to be AA caliber KPP's, but they don't really need to be as long as the more prominent talls around them are playing and playing well. They benefit from the "bigger names" taking the lions share of opposition attention and pressure, and in turn they lighten the load for said bigger names by playing roles and taking the more "dour" tasks of their hands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find it somewhat fitting that Frampton got mentioned earlier in this thread, as I think he and Kreuger fit into the same category of a player that benefits from those around them. Kreuger i50 with a fit and firing Mcstay and Mihocek combo can be a genuine weapon imo, he's got good size, athleticism and aggression which means getting a third/fourth opposition defender makes him a dangerous mismatch for the opposing coaches box.

Similar story to Frampton, he's a shutdown solid KPD, who when Moore/Murphy (pre retirement) were on song, he was able to stick to a defensive task and shut out the most dangerous KPF. He's gotten exposed in recent weeks given our defensive structure issues, but when we're in form it makes easier for Frampton to latch on to a KPF and allow the others to intercept and provide support, something he hasn't had in recent games.

Neither are going to be AA caliber KPP's, but they don't really need to be as long as the more prominent talls around them are playing and playing well. They benefit from the "bigger names" taking the lions share of opposition attention and pressure, and in turn they lighten the load for said bigger names by playing roles and taking the more "dour" tasks of their hands.
Although I do not necessarily disagree with your statement I do take issue with the value of players that are dependant on those around them. If you pull on the jumper and run out on to the ground your first task is to beat your opponent, irrespective of who's around you. With the case of Frampton, his game against GC Suns was poor. I can't know what was going through his head but at the game he seemed to be more concerned about structural positioning than he was about his direct opponent. As a key defender that's doomed. It's true that our defensive structures have been sub-par in recent weeks with defenders seemingly second-guessing positioning and losing faith in those around them. To me, it's a matter of getting back to basics and ensuring your direct opponent doesn't get off the chain. That applies to all parts of the ground.
We've been poor offensively but that tends to get less scrutiny as missed opportunities are less easily counted and remebered than 'points against' that defenders get measured on.
I'm sure we can still play with run and dare whilst still be more accountable defensively.

Wayne Carey was unable to mark overhead in the final years of his career. Went OK.

NK's shoulder function might improve with time. His restricted range-of-motion is not necessarily permanent.

I've been watching NK since he first came to Geelong. His marking has never been any different. His hands cross over in front of his face sometimes and he always attempts overhead marks with flat hands. It's nothing to do with the shoulder Re-co. It's always been his technique. Carey could always mark overhead. Yeah his shoulder ops held that back but his technique was always sound. Kreugs was never a one grab overhead mark.

I've been watching NK since he first came to Geelong. His marking has never been any different. His hands cross over in front of his face sometimes and he always attempts overhead marks with flat hands. It's nothing to do with the shoulder Re-co. It's always been his technique. Carey could always mark overhead. Yeah his shoulder ops held that back but his technique was always sound. Kreugs was never a one grab overhead mark.

Thanks for clarifying.

I have not followed NK that far back so your view is more informed than mine.

His VFL highlights show some overhead ability but you're right, he is not Trav Cloke. Not many are.

Last edited:
He did take an overhead contested mark in a pack on Friday which resulted in a shot for goal. Although I don't think he was actually trying to mark it and his eyes may have been shut. It was a courageous back into the pack.
Yep that one hit his outstretched right forearm and fell down into his lap.....classic Kreugs "overhead" mark.

Although I do not necessarily disagree with your statement I do take issue with the value of players that are dependant on those around them. If you pull on the jumper and run out on to the ground your first task is to beat your opponent, irrespective of who's around you. With the case of Frampton, his game against GC Suns was poor. I can't know what was going through his head but at the game he seemed to be more concerned about structural positioning than he was about his direct opponent. As a key defender that's doomed. It's true that our defensive structures have been sub-par in recent weeks with defenders seemingly second-guessing positioning and losing faith in those around them. To me, it's a matter of getting back to basics and ensuring your direct opponent doesn't get off the chain. That applies to all parts of the ground.
We've been poor offensively but that tends to get less scrutiny as missed opportunities are less easily counted and remebered than 'points against' that defenders get measured on.
I'm sure we can still play with run and dare whilst still be more accountable defensively.
I tend to agree with you - and perhaps my wording of being dependent on those around them wasn't the most accurate, perhaps mutually beneficial is a more apt term. No one should really be expecting Kreuger or Frampton to be our star leading goal scorer, or AA defender, but their role helps the Mihocek's and Moore's of the world hit those heights - and likewise the ability of those stars helps Kreuger/Frampton by simplifying their role for them on field, and not having that expectation placed on themselves.

You are right though that it seems we have become too structure and "space" driven (and not just Frampton). Watching live at the ground for both games against Essendon and Geelong, it was painfully clear we needed to be tighter defensively on our man, and sacrifice a bit of that positioning - especially when teams teams have seemingly figured out a way to stop and pick their way through our zone at present. Ironically some of our better run and carry play came from solid body/body defensive work, resulting in a spillage and allowing run and spread from the contest.

As someone at the ground pointed out, we're a team the thrives on pressure and turnover, and it's hard to apply pressure when we constantly allow short kick marks to pick apart the zone.

I don’t think footy IQ was the issue today. Got to a lot of of contests and had enough opportunities to score just lacks composure and touch.

His Goal Kicking today Reminded me of Travis Cloke

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Nathan Kreuger

Remove this Banner Ad

Back