Player Watch Nathan Murphy (Retired 2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

Disagree, one of the things that makes Bradman great is the uncovered pitches.

Conversely this makes Grimmett & Tiger over rated, though champions.

Tiger only played 27 tests for an average of 22.59, which included a one off test against Enzed where he claimed 8/33.
I think you've got your wires crossed re uncovered pitches. They sometimes made batting really hard, but sticky wickets where the ball just stopped and sat up to be hit were more common.

I think you've got your wires crossed re uncovered pitches. They sometimes made batting really hard, but sticky wickets where the ball just stopped and sat up to be hit were more common.
So you think uncovered pitches were a batsman's paradise?

I could stir the pot by saying Shane Warne isn't even our best bowler, let alone best spin bowler.

Bill O'Reilly was our greatest leg spinner as he has the best numbers and was uber elite. As is Warne.
Then the argument is whether Shane or Clarrie Grimmett is the second best leg spinner we had.
What is certain is the troika are our three greatest ever spinners.

Then where does Dennis Lillee fit as who is our greatest ever bowler?

But I won't start trouble.

Nathan Murray I think was a wicket keeper. So likely has soft hands.
He looks a beauty.

ps Bradman is our number one, greatest ever cricketer who breathed air. Lived in his own stratosphere.
I will never argue with you about football history, cricket history or movies about the mafia. You're a god on these topics.
But, dear Mr Viewed, I said nothing in regards to who should be ranked second. All I was saying was anyone who thinks Bradman is not number 1 needs to meet me behind the shed at lunch time.

I will never argue with you about football history, cricket history or movies about the mafia. You're a god on these topics.
But, dear Mr Viewed, I said nothing in regards to who should be ranked second. All I was saying was anyone who thinks Bradman is not number 1 needs to meet me behind the shed at lunch time.
And you sir a correct

I was to be fair just stirring the cricket pot.
Views on all players mentioned are very worthy.

Murphy in physical appearance looks like a cross between Cameron Ling and Damien Oliver.:eek:
Much better looking I'd suggest.
Oliver for one is a very odd looking type.
Murphy seems joyful.

Yeah, but that's because Twomey was sucked into the heart stuff just as much as anyone else.

But seriously, how did Murphy get an invite and yet fall so far? Perhaps a club had him in mind for a pick in the 20 but it got to their pick and they had at least one player available who they had ahead of him in their preferences?

Or maybe he said to clubs "now that it's cricket season I'm thinking maybe I want to play cricket instead" :p

Riley Beveridge from Fox Sports was the 1st and Only Mock Drafter that had us Drafting Stephenson.

Twomey had Stephenson at 5 in his Earlier Ratitings

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dunno if we can say everyone. At least Brisbane, Fremantle, Carlton and North Melbourne blinked. Even then we don't know if they rated Stephenson top 5 :p

Can't wait to see how these 2 boys go though.
Poor Tyler Brown is already the forgotten man :(

I dunno if we can say everyone. At least Brisbane, Fremantle, Carlton and North Melbourne blinked. Even then we don't know if they rated Stephenson top 5 :p

Can't wait to see how these 2 boys go though.

I doubt it. I can mount an extremely strong case for Rayner and Dow being ahead of Stephenson with or without the heart condition popping up. North and Fremantle though? No excuses, IMO.

This guy moves like Bont.

I could have sworn I read similar comments to this post the 2015 draft about another of our draftees :)

So you think uncovered pitches were a batsman's paradise?

Soooooo I wonder how Bairstow would be feeling right now? Dare I say it he might have a Liverpool kiss ready for ol mate sr36. The irony of those comments only three weeks before yesterday’s scenes is delicious. I mean I’ve never seen anything like it before in my life. You’d be monumentally stiff to be proven comprehensively wrong so quickly :thumbsu:

Warnie can GAGF! Ripped into a Pies supporter on the Ashes telecast yesterday for wearing his guernsey. Said he should throw it in the bin.
Yeah Warnie has no class. A cheat and a drug cheat. Should have been drummed out of cricket long ago.

Yeah Warnie has no class. A cheat and a drug cheat. Should have been drummed out of cricket long ago.
Care to elaborate on this? Saying he’s a cheat in general is a big call, and as far as I can see the diuretics were their result of him being a vain idiot. If he was using them to mask a PED, what would the PED have been for? To help him leisurely stroll in on his run up, or to help him stand in one spot better while fielding in the slips?

Care to elaborate on this? Saying he’s a cheat in general is a big call, and as far as I can see the diuretics were their result of him being a vain idiot. If he was using them to mask a PED, what would the PED have been for? To help him leisurely stroll in on his run up, or to help him stand in one spot better while fielding in the slips?
He was coming off shoulder surgery and in a race to be fit for the World Cup. Had an absolute reason to be on the roids and taking a masking agent. Can't believe anyone would fall for the vanity excuse. He and M Waugh were almost certainly selling out Australia. "Weather reports" really?

Sometimes they were. It made pitches significantly softer. Less pace and carry. More time to adjust. Often they played on rolled mud that never got dry enough to crack up.

How many times have you played on a wet uncovered wicket? I reckon it’s much harder, you have no idea how much the ball will hold up along with the worry of one skidding through quicker.

If sticky wickets were so easy why wasn’t everyone else averaging 99 as well? He was still twice the average of everyone else so it’s not like it was a period of pathetic bowling where everyone was averaging 70-80

He was coming off shoulder surgery and in a race to be fit for the World Cup. Had an absolute reason to be on the roids and taking a masking agent. Can't believe anyone would fall for the vanity excuse. He and M Waugh were almost certainly selling out Australia. "Weather reports" really?

Not sure that constitutes cheating myself. Corruption/ completely unethical, yes, cheating not so much. My best guess is that the Barmy army chant was spot on! I’m with you on the other point though. Given the timeframes it seems all too convenient...

Not sure that constitutes cheating myself. Corruption/ completely unethical, yes, cheating not so much. My best guess is that the Barmy army chant was spot on! I’m with you on the other point though. Given the timeframes it seems all too convenient...
We are off topic but I can see that view. Depends how far you want to believe they went or maybe were going to go if it didn't come to a head. The way the ACB swept it under the table was a disgrace.

Come now.

You know the drill.

Anyone in the world except Australians are drug cheats.

Only Australians arnt. We wouldn't do that, yeh nah

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Nathan Murphy (Retired 2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back