Nathan Thompson to Roos for picks #10 & #26 (the supermerged thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

not sure why people are hanging it on Thompson....if he can get his head together with the help of some drugs his best is the equal of Ottens and he'd have 5 years left in him....good luck to both him and the kangas, reckon they'll save themselves 200k a year in salary as compared to the overrated former tiger lumbering tall....but gotta be happy with pick 10 at hawthorn - 26 is just one to throw at the dartboard and good luck if it comes off so barely counts

I know, Laidley's trade record is terrible, he traded Carey for Wells and another pick, jeez we lost out on that trade didn't we. :rolleyes:

10 and 26 may be a little high, but you roll the dice to get quality players. I'm sure that Carlton supporters would be claiming the The Fat Man is worth a round pick or more, even though he's been well below his best for years, and is only 190cms tall.

I love how you Carlton supporters continue to trot out Morrel as a huge win in that trade, when you've turned a decent 3rd string forward into a stop gap average CHB.

Teague had a great season, well done to him. You weren't too unhappy when McKernan played well for the blues were you? :rolleyes:

Welcome aboard Thommo ;)

rph said:
not sure why people are hanging it on Thompson....if he can get his head together with the help of some drugs his best is the equal of Ottens and he'd have 5 years left in him....good luck to both him and the kangas, reckon they'll save themselves 200k a year in salary as compared to the overrated former tiger lumbering tall....but gotta be happy with pick 10 at hawthorn - 26 is just one to throw at the dartboard and good luck if it comes off so barely counts

IF he can get his head together and recapture his form. Big If. Yes, he might be as good as Ottens when they are both at their best, but when they are not, like over the last season, Ottens has been a far better player than Thompson. Plus Ottens will have probably 3 extra seasons on him.

The trades a win/win situation for both clubs. I cant see why everyone thinks that the Kangaroos did so badly out of the trade...Thomo's the best forward on the market (better than that over-priced dud Ottens, and also better than Simmonds and Whitnall). Hawthorn also did well out of this trade thought because it seems as if they are sticking to there word of going through the FULL re-building stage and what a great way to begin it with picks 2, 5, 10, 21 and 26.

Pretty wierded out ATM.

I am trying to justify it, but I can't.

I see this as being a good trade for North. So before you all keep bagging Laidley consider these points.

- 12 months ago Thompson would have been worth alot more than a 1st and 2nd round pick. He's had an ordinary year in a team that finished 15th, a team that is in absolute turmoil, yet he still won the club goalkicking.
One bad year doesn't mean he is a dud player.

- He may be battling depression, but a change of environment will probably give him a new lease of life. He also comes to a club with such a close group of players, officials and supporters to help him through any troubles he may have.

-Thompson will play in a decent forward line alongside Rocca, Petrie and Motlop, instead of Holland and Barker.

- Hawthorn have received 2 picks in a draft that has been described as pretty weak. They should get a reasonable player with pick 10, but pick 26 will be a bit of a lottery.

- North has already picked up a top 10 pick by getting Jesse Smith at pick 42.

So keep on bagging North and Dean Laidley, we will just see who's laughing this time next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mr. Blonde said:
I see this as being a good trade for North. So before you all keep bagging Laidley consider these points.

- 12 months ago Thompson would have been worth alot more than a 1st and 2nd round pick. He's had an ordinary year in a team that finished 15th, a team that is in absolute turmoil, yet he still won the club goalkicking.

- He may be battling depression, but a change of environment will probably give him a new lease of life. He also comes to a club with such a close group of players, officials and supporters to help him through any troubles he may have.

-Thompson will play in a decent forward line alongside Rocca, Petrie and Motlop, instead of Holland and Barker.

- Hawthorn have received 2 picks in a draft that has been described as pretty weak. They should get a reasonable player with pick 10, but pick 26 will be a bit of a lottery.

So keep on bagging North and Dean Laidley, we will just see who's laughing this time next year.

Consider this:
He wasnt worth picks 10 and 26 last year, hes not worth it this year and he will be worth less next year
-Last I heard depression wasnt cured by the Shinboner spirit but I bow to your medical knowledge. BTW when reports of Harvey, Sinclair and others wanting to fly the coop arose you must have been stdying maths
-Rocca ( 1 year away from retirement) Petrie (very good) and Motlop (inconsistent average player) are not exactly a feared combination
-The draft is not weak or shallow according to the experts, there are a lot of very good players, not as many reday to play in the 1st year is all
_Cant say I have seen Jesse Smith so I wont comment
- I and others will continue to laugh at Laidley and the Kangaroos this year, next year and until you get a grown up coach

Mr. Blonde said:

I hope for north you are right
good luck with him

The fact you said that Petrie is very good and Motlop Average and inconsitent shows just how little you watch the Roos. Motlop was a much better player than Drew this year, and apart from 5 games, was actually very consistent. His only problem is too much confidence!

Our forward line will be the jewel in the crown soon. We have a lot of guys that have had little exposure but are packed with talent coming through. Thompson will be part of a very potent forward line.

Not 100% sold, as I wouldn't be with Rawlings, Ottens or Simmonds, but have seen enough to be happy.

the_buzz said:
Consider this:
He wasnt worth picks 10 and 26 last year, hes not worth it this year and he will be worth less next year
-Last I heard depression wasnt cured by the Shinboner spirit but I bow to your medical knowledge. BTW when reports of Harvey, Sinclair and others wanting to fly the coop arose you must have been stdying maths
-Rocca ( 1 year away from retirement) Petrie (very good) and Motlop (inconsistent average player) are not exactly a feared combination
-The draft is not weak or shallow according to the experts, there are a lot of very good players, not as many reday to play in the 1st year is all
- I and others will continue to laugh at Laidley and the Kangaroos this year, next year and until you get a grown up coach
When did I ever mention "Shinboner Spirit"?
When did Harvey and Sinclair want to leave?
Motlop is a quality young player and took big steps this year.
Most experts have said the top 5 or 6 in this years draft should be top players, but the rest really evens out.

the_buzz said:
Consider this:

Last year he probably was - I know a year is a long tim in footy but at the start of the year everyone was epxecting Hawthorn to be top 4 or at least a finalist and Thompson was part of that equation.

Was made Vice Captain in 2003 based on (I assume) his form and reputation within the club.

the_buzz said:
-Last I heard depression wasnt cured by the Shinboner spirit but I bow to your medical knowledge.

Change of Scenery is said to be good though

the_buzz said:
BTW when reports of Harvey, Sinclair and others wanting to fly the coop arose you must have been stdying maths

I didn't realise they had been traded ?

Harvey, his manager and North all say that its a load of crock but who are they to tell the Media they have it wrong

(and sinclair wanted a 3 year contract and we only wanted to give him 2. Fair enough )

the_buzz said:

Plus Thompson now - lets not forget that ;)

the_buzz said:

Really ? - I didn't realise that there were conflicting reports ?

As far as I heard there were a few good un's though no one in the same class as Cooney, Goddard, Wells, Ball, Judd, Reiwaldt, Kosi etc etc and then after about pick 10 its a real lottery ?

the_buzz said:

And yet you have an opinion on the rest of the draft ? Amazing

the_buzz said:

<shrug> Go ahead - Its not as if you would laugh any harder than we all laughed at grant thomas .. and nobodys laughing at him now

Havnt read the whole thread, but i spose the Roos thought theyve already got a potential top 10 pick in Jesse Smith, so thought theyll go all out to try and get a big man up forward. Turned out well for both clubs i guess.

Not too sure about all the negativity here.

Think both clubs got what they wanted in the end. At the very least, Thommo should match his output for this year 30-40 goals, as well as providing some much needed ruck support (face it Roos fans, Porter and McKernan are finished, Hale and McIntosh aren't ready).

Win-win.

Must say i'm about 50/50 on this trade.

The big positive i see is that we may actually stretch a few defenses. Not many teams will have players with the strength to match Rocca and Thompson, which may leave the 3rd best tall to Petrie. I'd like to think (some may argue blindly) that Drew will beat most 3rd option talls around. Ditto for Thompson and Rocca if they get the 3rd best tall.

It also allows us to settle down our backline with Brown down there.

I guess the true value of the trade depends on whether Thompson can get the best out of himself. If that is a yes then i think we do well.

Pick 10 should have been enough, but in the end the roos did get the best "forward" available in the trade period.

I bet the Eagles are spewing. If Ottens wasnt an option, the Cats would give up their first 2 picks in a heart beat for Thompson. The cats will be the big losers if they end up with neither Ottens or Thompson.

Quite frankly, I dont think Ottens, Thompson or Simmonds are worth more than 1 first round pick. But North Melbourne supporters can find solace in the fact that we accquired the player with the most potential to take marks in the forward 50 and kick goals.

i am happy enough with that trade. i liked thommo but he wanted to leave so of course we had to let him go. he is going to look so incredibly greek in the blue and white of the kangaroos, i hope for his sake he finds form for them and has his dog days against us.

picks 10 and 26 is a great coup, but then again we were due given how jacobs turned out in his first year.

well done clarkson - this is a big step away from WDO status!

I am really happy with this trade.

We were in need of forward/ruck to fill the gap between Mckernan/Porter/Sav and the development of Macintosh and Hale.

Thompson fits the bill perfectly as a strong forward who apparently has good rucking abilities but limited opportunities due to fitness and the awesome form of Everitte.

While Laidley has copped a bit for trading 10 & 26 keep in mind that we already have a top 5 draftee in Jesse Smith and the depth of this years trade has been questionable to that of previous years.

Overall as a roo supporter I'm absolutely rapt and can't wait to see the big fella in the blu and white. :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Nathan Thompson to Roos for picks #10 & #26 (the supermerged thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back