NBA's Greatest Ever Players

Remove this Banner Ad

Colonel Matrix said:
Yuta Tabuse

that belongs in the greatest name thread

and heres some for stiffy for best euros ever to play NBA

drazen petrovic (best 3 point shooter ive ever seen, cleanest shooting technique ive seen by a long way as well, alas never had the chance to prove it over an extended period)

arvydas sabonis (had he come over before he did his knees, would have been the most dominant center since the 60's, including shaq. how many centres can you name who can go 20/10/1 with quality passing and 3 point shooting? hes close to the most complete pivot ive ever seen)

toni kukoc (another who shouldnt have farted around before coming across. had he come initially, would have developed an alround game that would have been the envy of any. as it was, still showed sublime skills for some years on championship teams)

diablo14 said:
drazen petrovic (best 3 point shooter ive ever seen, cleanest shooting technique ive seen by a long way as well, alas never had the chance to prove it over an extended period)
You got that right. THE best shooter I have EVER seen. Could just kick up a gear when ever he wanted to. Smooth and its a great tragedy that his life was cut short when his best years were ahead of him. One of the best players I have ever seen.

diablo14 said:
arvydas sabonis (had he come over before he did his knees, would have been the most dominant center since the 60's, including shaq. how many centres can you name who can go 20/10/1 with quality passing and 3 point shooting? hes close to the most complete pivot ive ever seen)
I have no doubt that if he came to the NBA younger, he would have been one of the best centers to ever play in the NBA. A SUPER player who could do it all, handle and pass the ball like a point guard, shoot the 3 with ease, score from the low post, nail a jumper from the high post, rebound block shots. He went to the NBA when his knees and ankles were shot and he lost all of his mobility and athleticism.

diablo14 said:
toni kukoc (another who shouldnt have farted around before coming across. had he come initially, would have developed an alround game that would have been the envy of any. as it was, still showed sublime skills for some years on championship teams)
One of my all time favourites. Could play all 5 positions (best suited to SF), multi-dimensional player. Could take it to the rack or shoot a 3, fantastic court vision and awareness and CLUTCH. I watches a couple of games the other day (1989 European Championship final and 1990 World championship final) where you had Drazen, Kukoc, Divac and Radja all on the same court. Kukoc was superb in the 1990 final. Exceptional player who could have done more in the NBA had he gone over earlier, and if he went to team where he would have been a starter. Having said that, I doubt he would trade his time with the bulls for anything. Along with Aleksandar Djordjevic, Kukoc is my all time favourite player from Former Yugoslavia.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Colonel Matrix said:
Jordan obviously no1.

Someone is going to have to explain this to me, as statistically he was great scorer but not much else. He was overshadowed by 2 greater players when the NBA was at it's strongest, and only became a success once they left and the league weakened.

Magic Johnson was the complete player. Could play any position on court, could score, could rebound and could create for team mates. Jordan could score and play defence. You always here about the 'so called experts' talking the new up-and-comer being the next Jordan, but you never hear them say he'll be the Magic. There may, one day be another Jordan, a guy who score at will, but there will never never never be another Magic.

Jod, your reply please.

DEVO said:
Someone is going to have to explain this to me, as statistically he was great scorer but not much else. He was overshadowed by 2 greater players when the NBA was at it's strongest, and only became a success once they left and the league weakened.

Magic Johnson was the complete player. Could play any position on court, could score, could rebound and could create for team mates. Jordan could score and play defence. You always here about the 'so called experts' talking the new up-and-comer being the next Jordan, but you never hear them say he'll be the Magic. There may, one day be another Jordan, a guy who score at will, but there will never never never be another Magic.

Jod, your reply please.

Well there isn't much point explaining it to you, as you see Magic the same way Bulls fans see Jordan, and you see Jordan the same way Bulls fans see Magic.

You're biased and so is he. If you don't think Jordan could rebound and create for his teammates, then you are deluded. If you don't think Jordan was a complete player, you're also deluded. What made him so brilliant is that he could do everything on the court and still score 30 points a night. He didn't just play D, he dominated on D, and he is perhaps the toughest guy in history in terms of playing and performing through injury and illness. He made his teammates better just like Magic did, and won titles with some ordinary individual players.

Unfortunately we never saw Magic and Jordan in their primes at the same time. It's unfair to say he was overshadowed by Magic, because Magic in his prime was when Jordan was just starting out. Jordan beat him in 1991, but Magic was in the twightlight of his career at that point. I'd like to see Magic of the mid-80s and Jordan of the mid-90s in the same league at the same time.

Otherwise you can't judge, and Laker fans and Bulls fans will always be biased either way. In my eyes, the difference between them was where Jordan would score 40 points, Magic would dish out 15 assists. The result was the same though - both would be head and shoulders above anyone else on the court.

To say there will never be another Magic but there may be another Jordan is a ridiculous statement, because you're implying that Jordan was purely a scorer.

Thewlis Dish said:
Well there isn't much point explaining it to you, as you see Magic the same way Bulls fans see Jordan, and you see Jordan the same way Bulls fans see Magic.

You're biased and so is he. If you don't think Jordan could rebound and create for his teammates, then you are deluded. If you don't think Jordan was a complete player, you're also deluded. What made him so brilliant is that he could do everything on the court and still score 30 points a night. He didn't just play D, he dominated on D, and he is perhaps the toughest guy in history in terms of playing and performing through injury and illness. He made his teammates better just like Magic did, and won titles with some ordinary individual players.

Unfortunately we never saw Magic and Jordan in their primes at the same time. It's unfair to say he was overshadowed by Magic, because Magic in his prime was when Jordan was just starting out. Jordan beat him in 1991, but Magic was in the twightlight of his career at that point. I'd like to see Magic of the mid-80s and Jordan of the mid-90s in the same league at the same time.

Otherwise you can't judge, and Laker fans and Bulls fans will always be biased either way. In my eyes, the difference between them was where Jordan would score 40 points, Magic would dish out 15 assists. The result was the same though - both would be head and shoulders above anyone else on the court.

To say there will never be another Magic but there may be another Jordan is a ridiculous statement, because you're implying that Jordan was purely a scorer.
Nail. Hammer. Head :)

Ill just answer the thread name, Michael Jordon for me easily as he is the best player that i have seen so i cant judge people in the pass that i havent seen play

Thewlis Dish said:

I understand what you're saying, and I agree with what your saying, but the reason I say there is chance of seeing another Jordan is a guy that played for Lakers in the 60's and early 70's, Mr Jerry West. Jordan took they play of Jerry West to the next level. Statiscally they were very similiar, the only difference being the number of Championships won. West and Baylor had the talent to get the Lakers into the NBA finals, but couldn't get past the Celtics and Knicks until their eras ended through retirements, trades etc. Jordan and Pippen had the talent to get to the playoffs, but couldn't get past the Celtics or Pistons until retirements, trades etc. West had to wait till the end of his career, Jordan was luckier. Evolution in Basketball will guarentee that there will be another player who superseeds Jordan, takes it too the next level. Magic was a one off. His height, athletism, knowledge and talent seems to be unique. There was no one like him before or after.

For me its Jordan, statistically some1 else may come along and score just as well as him, but no one will play like him... thats just my opinion, also to say that jordan and pippen had the talent to get to the play offs but couldn't get past the celtics and pistons until retirements and trades took place is silly if u were talking about players in their prime coz the celtics and pistons were in their prime whereas the bulls were not

DEVO said:

Jod, your reply please.

Dude we cant go through this again can we???

jod23 said:
Dude we cant go through this again can we???

Oh come on, we haven't had a decent debate for years. Beside the Basketball board has become a little boring of late.

yah.. its the annual jod v devo debate (about the same topic for the past 4 years or so).. where some newbie jumps in and launches into devo for bagging his airness.. :p

speaking of greatness... i'm watching channel 7 at the moment...
watching billy crystal and gheorghe muresan ! what a champ!

Remove this Banner Ad

NBA's Greatest Ever Players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back