NBN - Good or Bad

Remove this Banner Ad

Well this is a thread about the NBN so I'm entitled to say what I think about it.

Any Liberal voter with a shitty connection can look forward to decades of crappy internet thanks to their beloved LNP. **** all of those people. They deserve this. I feel sorry for the rest of us who knew a FTTN NBN would be a dud and voted accordingly. Literally anybody with a background in this technology knew this would be a disaster but the Libs went and did it anyway. I will never give them a single vote for the rest of my life. Even if Labor we're to run an actual clone of Hitler in the next election and I would still throw my vote their way just to spite those LNP assholes.
Anyone with background in the industry knew that the NBN model was obsolete and would never be profitable before it started rolling out to bum**** nowhere, where the cost of installation was about the average price of a house. They both have absolutely no idea what they are doing.

Bit the the bullet ( more due to other technical issues) and hopefully start Monday. Spotted 2 boxes , one 100-150m from me and the other 400-450m up the hill. Any takers I get the furthest one? :D
1200m of cable to the closer one. This has actually happened to people.

I am finally getting the NBN in July but I have heard Bad and Good Things about it.

I have heard that it can be Worse then ADSL for Some People. Good Thing is that Speed is Constant.

What do you think of the NBN?

Should have been great by has been screwed by politics. Will vary from good to worse than before depending on location.

Anyone with background in the industry knew that the NBN model was obsolete and would never be profitable before it started rolling out to bum**** nowhere, where the cost of installation was about the average price of a house. They both have absolutely no idea what they are doing.

The rollout was ****ed because they wanted to install it in lowly populated country areas first, instead of the cities where most of us actually live. At least Labor chose the right technology though. The LNP's decision to retain our copper infrastructure is one of the biggest ****-ups ever and I will vote against them every opportunity I get.

I have had a cabinet installed on my street, but we wont be getting NBN. Rollout is literally around our street. Absolute ****

On SM-G935F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Cable already rolled out at the front of this block of units. NBN arriving Q4 2019, and will probably be delayed.

In the meantime ADSL2 is barely available because of exchange distance, and slower than most people can get ADSL1 connections.

Hey guys,

I still have Telstra cable and haven't upgraded to NBN yet.. Purposely holding off as all the negative stories put me off.

I have received missed calls from Telstra wanting to organise installation - is there any harm with holding off?

Obviously don't want to be left without internet....!! Could they switch off my cable service?
yeah there is a cut off date where you get disconnected, officially 18 months after you were Ready For Service
so depends how long it has been available in your area
you don't have to stay with the same ISP though if you are on contract with Telstra they could make it difficult

my place has been pushed back again to 2019

I find the new Telstra plans interesting, if I was on the NBN cable with Telstra I'd pay the same as I am now but not be guaranteed more than 15Mbps during "peak" times unless I want to pay 20-30 more a month

****ing rip off that, hopefully the CVC charges and all the bullshit get sorted out before I have to switch, then Telstra might have to come up with a new excuse to rip people off when they are just a retailer

The rollout was ****** because they wanted to install it in lowly populated country areas first, instead of the cities where most of us actually live. At least Labor chose the right technology though. The LNP's decision to retain our copper infrastructure is one of the biggest ****-ups ever and I will vote against them every opportunity I get.

The biggest '****-up' ... was Kevin Rudd promising to the entire country that they would receive super fast broadband. If he has said 'Melbourne, Sydney, and Brisbane. Perhaps that would have been possible. But he didnt, he promised it to the entire country and that what people now expect.

Working in the industry, I said at the time ... people who are complaining about broadband speeds and access now ... will still be complaining about it in 10 years - because Australia didn't suddenly shrink ... and the population didn't suddenly spread out from the eastern coast.

There are people out there who seriously think Australia is comparable in size to places like Singapore and Hong Kong and should be receiving the same quality of service.

There was a reason no private company was interested in being a part of that, and Telstra (for example) barely even bothered to put in a submission when it was originally being discussed.

Everything after Rudd's involvement, has been politicians trying to limit the disaster that was started by him.

The biggest '****-up' ... was Kevin Rudd promising to the entire country that they would receive super fast broadband. If he has said 'Melbourne, Sydney, and Brisbane. Perhaps that would have been possible. But he didnt, he promised it to the entire country and that what people now expect.

Working in the industry, I said at the time ... people who are complaining about broadband speeds and access now ... will still be complaining about it in 10 years - because Australia didn't suddenly shrink ... and the population didn't suddenly spread out from the eastern coast.

There are people out there who seriously think Australia is comparable in size to places like Singapore and Hong Kong and should be receiving the same quality of service.

There was a reason no private company was interested in being a part of that, and Telstra (for example) barely even bothered to put in a submission when it was originally being discussed.

Everything after Rudd's involvement, has been politicians trying to limit the disaster that was started by him.

He was kicking out of Government so he Lost Power to do so then the Libs Completely F**ked it up.

So Australia is so large we always have shit internet that is Decades behind the Rest of the World?

He was kicking out of Government so he Lost Power to do so then the Libs Completely F**ked it up.

So Australia is so large we always have shit internet that is Decades behind the Rest of the World?

If you think Rudd would have delivered anything remotely close to what he promised for anything remotely close to what he said it would cost, then i think you live in a fantasy land.

But it would take a Government (liberal or Labor) to say 'we are only going to focus on the densely populated areas and stop investing in rural and regional and remote Australia' ... and then I think the vast majority of the population would get what Rudd originally promised. But I can't see anyone having the guts to do that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you think Rudd would have delivered anything remotely close to what he promised for anything remotely close to what he said it would cost, then i think you live in a fantasy land.

But it would take a Government (liberal or Labor) to say 'we are only going to focus on the densely populated areas and stop investing in rural and regional and remote Australia' ... and then I think the vast majority of the population would get what Rudd originally promised. But I can't see anyone having the guts to do that.
I hope I would be strong enough to say ''I dont want it'' if it meant the rural areas missed out. I have long been a fan of rural Australia catching up to the cities in just basic communications.

Many areas in Northern NSW and along through the back blocks that had pretty poor communications, even in 2004

i have had NBN for over 30 months and have been with Big Pond for that time. I recently re negotiated my internet bundle and was told that Telstra now only guarantee 22 Mbps between 7.00 pm and 6.00 am. When I started it was 22 Mbps over a 24 hour period. Telstra is not handling the switch to NBN all that well. They are getting too big too quickly.

My latest speed test showed a download speed of 22.89 Mbps and an upload of 3.60 Mbps timed at 1630 hrs. Not sure how long this will last but it isn't too bad.

Anyone looking at an NBN plan should look at the download speed offered and ask whether they need unlimited data download. Many ISP's are flogging features that the average user does not need and many do not offer suitable combinations of data and speed. I am not rapt in Telstra but they are one of the few ISPs who offer a speed/data combo that suits my needs.

i have had NBN for over 30 months and have been with Big Pond for that time. I recently re negotiated my internet bundle and was told that Telstra now only guarantee 22 Mbps between 7.00 pm and 6.00 am. When I started it was 22 Mbps over a 24 hour period. Telstra is not handling the switch to NBN all that well. They are getting too big too quickly.

My latest speed test showed a download speed of 22.89 Mbps and an upload of 3.60 Mbps timed at 1630 hrs. Not sure how long this will last but it isn't too bad.

Anyone looking at an NBN plan should look at the download speed offered and ask whether they need unlimited data download. Many ISP's are flogging features that the average user does not need and many do not offer suitable combinations of data and speed. I am not rapt in Telstra but they are one of the few ISPs who offer a speed/data combo that suits my needs.

Shows how Badly Telstra is Ran

If people are happy to sit on 25mbps which is a marginal upgrade on ADSL2+ then this country is never going to strive to improve its infrastructure.

That is what happens when you put Malcolm Turnbull in charge of anything. He was the Minister responsible for the NBN rollout in the Abbott Government. The original plan was for 100Mbps to be available to all but the Coalition decided that was too expensive so we have spent billions on a service that is only marginally faster than ADSL2+. You can get 100 Mbps if you want to pay for it but the current Federal Government is not gong to contribute.

Not sure if Labor will revert to its original plan but it probably won't.

That is what happens when you put Malcolm Turnbull in charge of anything. He was the Minister responsible for the NBN rollout in the Abbott Government. The original plan was for 100Mbps to be available to all but the Coalition decided that was too expensive so we have spent billions on a service that is only marginally faster than ADSL2+. You can get 100 Mbps if you want to pay for it but the current Federal Government is not gong to contribute.

or they where Bribed by Village and Foxtel so they won't go out of Business

If people are happy to sit on 25mbps which is a marginal upgrade on ADSL2+ then this country is never going to strive to improve its infrastructure.
Marginal? If people need or demand better than 25mbps then fair enough but reliable 25/5mbps fibre would be a massive upgrade to plenty of massively frustrated ADSL customers I know.

I'm all for ftth too and not ####ing 50s/60s copper but the speeds most people need aren't necessarily going to be 100/40. They do deserve the choice though.

Last edited:

Not sure I blame Turnbull to be honest. He's arrogant, hypocritical and heavily conflicted but not an idiot (or not where tech is involved). His stupid, tight arse, right wing nuffy dominated coalition just weren't prepared to spend the money on the one thing that would be worth every cent in the future.

Marginal? If people need or demand better than 25mbps then fair enough but reliable 25/5mbps fibre would be a massive upgrade to plenty of massively frustrated ADSL customers I know.

Me as an example...

I'm not expecting the NBN until mid to late next year (according to their rollout schedule) and even though we're getting FTTN it's got to be shitloads better than the ~150 kilobytes/sec I'm getting now...

I've had NBN available in my area since May, I'm currently a Telstra cable customer with the speed boost and consistently getting 100mbps+.. I was in one of the Telstra stores on the weekend, and spoke with helpful rep who told me I have 18 months from roll-out to switch and recommended to me to stay as I am til I have to switch... :cool:

I've had NBN available in my area since May, I'm currently a Telstra cable customer with the speed boost and consistently getting 100mbps+.. I was in one of the Telstra stores on the weekend, and spoke with helpful rep who told me I have 18 months from roll-out to switch and recommended to me to stay as I am til I have to switch... :cool:

Yep. Nothing like a Company/Goverment Forcing stuff on the People.

I thought only Dictators did that;):straining:

Remove this Banner Ad

NBN - Good or Bad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back