NBN - Good or Bad

Remove this Banner Ad

Telstra, Skymesh, Aussiebroadband get decent feedback

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info Mate.

Can you change from Optus for NBN as Optus is just for ADSL

I guess it depends if you're on a contract. Skymesh did offer a free trial for nbn, don't know if they still do.

I guess it depends if you're on a contract. Skymesh did offer a free trial for nbn, don't know if they still do.

My Mum did that Stuff so not sure about that

There should be a royal commission into the distribution of the NBN.
The way both parties have handled it and turned it in to a political football is a bloody disgrace!

Agree. Need something done how they F**ked it up so Badly but I doubt they would as they don't want to look Stupid

Found out the other day after the NBN website update that instead of getting HFC like the website told me this whole time, we are instead now getting the inferior FTTN. Considering how slow our ADSL2 is (we're a few kilometres from the exchange, and also assuming our copper is shit) I dont think our speeds will increase that much if at all. Really disappointing because my mate just had his HFC installed (he lives in the suburb next to me) and gets 50 down, as per his plan. Fcuking pissed off to be honest. What a balls up.
We've just gotten FTTN in the shitty backwards country town my parents call home. Previously only had ADSL1 so 40 down is a pretty decent upgrade.

We've just gotten FTTN in the shitty backwards country town my parents call home. Previously only had ADSL1 so 40 down is a pretty decent upgrade.
I got my tech mixed up in my original post. Apparently now your speed is determined on how close you are to your node, not the exchange as I previously thought. Our node is about 300m away (assuming our copper goes the short way there) so we should be able to get some good speeds. Getting connected this week, hopefully it all works out.

I got my tech mixed up in my original post. Apparently now your speed is determined on how close you are to your node, not the exchange as I previously thought. Our node is about 300m away (assuming our copper goes the short way there) so we should be able to get some good speeds. Getting connected this week, hopefully it all works out.

Well our Area are getting the Cables put in the NBN. The Node is Top of our Street. So Hopefully not to bad Speeds

So despite having an appointment today to have my internet swapped to FTTN, nothing happened. Apparently I have to go to the back of the queue now. :/

Bloody Pathatic and shows a Joke the NBN is

Bloody Pathatic and shows a Joke the NBN is
Yep. Apparently appointments in the area are booked up until mid May so, yeah. Gotta wait a month and a half for this bullshit. So fcuking pissed right now. And there's no guarantee that someone will show up for the next appointment too.

Yep. Apparently appointments in the area are booked up until mid May so, yeah. Gotta wait a month and a half for this bullshit. So fcuking pissed right now. And there's no guarantee that someone will show up for the next appointment too.

Is that from Telstra?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've gone with SkyMesh but apparently its Telstra contractors that do the FTTN installs.

Well then even less of a Surprise how bloody Useless Telstra is

I've gone with SkyMesh but apparently its Telstra contractors that do the FTTN installs.
Nbnco arrange the connections via contractors and in my experience one hand doesn't know what the other is doing.

In my last place NBN fibre was connected to the building but there was confusion about the connection from the outside to each townhouse. Six visits from nbnco contractors and it still hadn't been resolved.

I moved but now have been with Skymesh for two years and they have been excellent.

Nbnco arrange the connections via contractors and in my experience one hand doesn't know what the other is doing.

In my last place NBN fibre was connected to the building but there was confusion about the connection from the outside to each townhouse. Six visits from nbnco contractors and it still hadn't been resolved.
Apparently my issue was that the tech wasn't sure which copper cables in the pillar were mine. My next appointment, which will probably be sometime mid May, requires me to be home now as a tech will have to check on my end whether I have been connected properly or not.
I moved but now have been with Skymesh for two years and they have been excellent.
Same. I've heard nothing but good things about them, that's why I'm going with SkyMesh.

The website had my area as build commenced at one stage and then the next they stopped short about 100m from my house and now I'm part of a different section that has gone back to planned and currently scheduled for Jan-June 2018 on fixed wireless.

Seriously if you went left 1km out of my driveway the NBN is available and if you went right out of my driveway 100m the NBN is available, I'm in the tiny middle bit that doesn't get hooked up until next year.

Bullshit is understatement.

Turnbull is too Stupid and Arrogant to Admit he F**ked Up and Need to do it like Labor wanted to do it.

Shows Internet/Tech Wise how far Australia is behind the Rest of the World. We are 20 years behind them
icon_evil.gif

3rd World Countries have better internet. They can't get Running Water but Internet is way faster
icon_eek.gif

http://thenewdaily.com.au/news/nati...ys&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20170411_TND

There's no guarantee you're even connected to the node closest to your house. From what I have read there can be around 380 connections per node.

The speeds you get via FttN will likely vary, based on peak periods and how many other connections are all sharing your node at any one time (plus other factors. See the lengthy bit below).

Based on this, I'd be wary about the sort of plan you sign up for. I don't have NBN yet in my area (in planning stages, apparently) and as an example currently I get around 17Mbps down using ADSL. Not super mega awesome, but not bad either imo. I don't live in the metro area so I am paying a premium for this, around $60 a month. Anecdotally I am seeing complaints from people who are paying a premium NBN price (unlimited downloads / up to 100Mbps down) and getting way less as far as speed is concerned. The key word there is "up to" 100Mbps down.

So for mine, considering I am likely to get FttN also (although there is a new player in the game, called FttC or Fibre to the Curb) I am likely to opt for the unlimited / 25Mbps for around the same price, and see how that goes. For FttN, the next speed bump is 100Mbps for an extra $20 / month.

Now for the lengthy bit - an explanation of speeds from Exetel
NBN Speeds

NBN speeds tiers indicated are 12/1 Mbps, 25/5 Mbps, 50/20 Mbps and 100/40 Mbps. The availability of a speed tier is subject to service qualification. These speeds shown are the nominal network access port speeds. Actual internet data transfer speeds may vary.

12/1 Mbps, 25/5 Mbps and 50/20 Mbps speeds are deliverable over NBN Hybrid Fibre Coaxial (HFC), Fibre-to-the-Premises (FTTP) and Fixed Wireless infrastructure. 100/40 speeds are deliverable over Hybrid Fibre Coaxial (HFC) and Fibre-to-the-Premises (FTTP) infrastructure.

12/1 Mbps, 25/5 Mbps are deliverable over NBN Fibre-to-the-Node (FTTN) and Fibre-to-the-Basement (FTTB) infrastructure. 50/20 Mbps and 100/40 Mbps are deliverable to a limited range of Fibre-to-the-Node (FTTN) and Fibre-to-the-Basement (FTTB) connections.

The download and upload speeds stated are the maximum that each type of link can deliver and will rarely, if ever, be achieved by any user for all sorts of reasons. Exetel makes no guarantees of any kind or will be held liable for the actual speeds achieved by any individual user as we rely on our network supplier to ensure its services are provisioned to deliver optimum speeds at all times. Should you not be happy with the speed you are receiving, after Exetel has thoroughly conducted our troubleshooting processes, Exetel will allow you to cancel your service without penalty. Speeds are influenced by the following factors:
  • What’s happening on our suppliers and Exetel’s network at any given time
  • The type of content being downloaded.
  • The connection method within the premises.
  • The number of people at a residence using the service at the same time.
  • The source of the content being downloaded.
  • Your network, operating system, hardware, software and software configuration.
  • The quality of any copper network component.
NBN Co advise that there is a coexistence period for FTTN / FTTB products and ADSL services. This means that the Mbps minimum layer 2 bitrate speed is 12/1 for the coexistence period, and for the no coexistence period 25/5 Mbps. Therefore any speeds reached above these rates are deemed acceptable by NBN Co and not a fault condition of the product.

There's no guarantee you're even connected to the node closest to your house. From what I have read there can be around 380 connections per node.

The speeds you get via FttN will likely vary, based on peak periods and how many other connections are all sharing your node at any one time (plus other factors. See the lengthy bit below).

Based on this, I'd be wary about the sort of plan you sign up for. I don't have NBN yet in my area (in planning stages, apparently) and as an example currently I get around 17Mbps down using ADSL. Not super mega awesome, but not bad either imo. I don't live in the metro area so I am paying a premium for this, around $60 a month. Anecdotally I am seeing complaints from people who are paying a premium NBN price (unlimited downloads / up to 100Mbps down) and getting way less as far as speed is concerned. The key word there is "up to" 100Mbps down.

So for mine, considering I am likely to get FttN also (although there is a new player in the game, called FttC or Fibre to the Curb) I am likely to opt for the unlimited / 25Mbps for around the same price, and see how that goes. For FttN, the next speed bump is 100Mbps for an extra $20 / month.

Now for the lengthy bit - an explanation of speeds from Exetel
NBN Speeds

NBN speeds tiers indicated are 12/1 Mbps, 25/5 Mbps, 50/20 Mbps and 100/40 Mbps. The availability of a speed tier is subject to service qualification. These speeds shown are the nominal network access port speeds. Actual internet data transfer speeds may vary.

12/1 Mbps, 25/5 Mbps and 50/20 Mbps speeds are deliverable over NBN Hybrid Fibre Coaxial (HFC), Fibre-to-the-Premises (FTTP) and Fixed Wireless infrastructure. 100/40 speeds are deliverable over Hybrid Fibre Coaxial (HFC) and Fibre-to-the-Premises (FTTP) infrastructure.

12/1 Mbps, 25/5 Mbps are deliverable over NBN Fibre-to-the-Node (FTTN) and Fibre-to-the-Basement (FTTB) infrastructure. 50/20 Mbps and 100/40 Mbps are deliverable to a limited range of Fibre-to-the-Node (FTTN) and Fibre-to-the-Basement (FTTB) connections.

The download and upload speeds stated are the maximum that each type of link can deliver and will rarely, if ever, be achieved by any user for all sorts of reasons. Exetel makes no guarantees of any kind or will be held liable for the actual speeds achieved by any individual user as we rely on our network supplier to ensure its services are provisioned to deliver optimum speeds at all times. Should you not be happy with the speed you are receiving, after Exetel has thoroughly conducted our troubleshooting processes, Exetel will allow you to cancel your service without penalty. Speeds are influenced by the following factors:
  • What’s happening on our suppliers and Exetel’s network at any given time
  • The type of content being downloaded.
  • The connection method within the premises.
  • The number of people at a residence using the service at the same time.
  • The source of the content being downloaded.
  • Your network, operating system, hardware, software and software configuration.
  • The quality of any copper network component.
NBN Co advise that there is a coexistence period for FTTN / FTTB products and ADSL services. This means that the Mbps minimum layer 2 bitrate speed is 12/1 for the coexistence period, and for the no coexistence period 25/5 Mbps. Therefore any speeds reached above these rates are deemed acceptable by NBN Co and not a fault condition of the product.

The FTTN(FraudBan) just sounds like no Different to ADSL.

I bet the Workers who work on it make sure they get the Best Possible NBN where they live

Think I was in one of the last areas to get FTTP.

******* awesome. I pity anyone who missed out as previously I was in a place with ratshit copper.

You are a Lucky Man as you would been in the 1st Year.

That was Rudd was going to do until Libs came in and took a Massive Shit on it

Remove this Banner Ad

NBN - Good or Bad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back