NEAFL - Northern Conference - Season 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

So AFL announce a new TV deal worth $1.25b....what are the likely ramifications for us up here in Qld? Yes, you subscribe to Fox or Austar and you get live football (watch the subscriptions go up!)..but do they intend to show more NEAFL games..? will more money filter down to NEAFL Clubs - community Clubs??? Reality is that whilst the top end dine well..most Queensland based clubs are strugling to make ends meet..including I would think right here at Mt Gravatt, Morningside, Redlands, Broadbeach, Labrador....

vultures (suns beat a very understrength lab last week)
thunder (pace and finishing should be too much. Blair will be breathing fire though)
redlands (lions only beat southport last week, weird to say that)
labrador (it sounds like the cavalry is starting to come back, probably a tight one)

All in all i genuinely think each game could go either way this week.

I would suggest that the gulf bn the VFL/WAFL/SANFL is wider than ever and the gap bn these comps and NEAFL is massive. There are alot of variables attached to why certain sides do well in the VFL, Geelong smashed it a few years ago in any case but my arguement is not that these comps are getting worse (although there was some concern re the WAFL 5 yrs back) but that the AFL is leaping ahead.

I actually think Damo is being conservative with 10-11 goals.

I would suggest any mature age player serious about getting drafted in the next couple of years head to SA or Vic to play in those leagues bc as you said Beach man, the NEAFL probably doesn't have the cred attached to it like these other comps.

Agree there might be one or 2 blokes coming out of it but not many at all.

Labrador - in a tight one good players coming back in
Mt Gravatt - close especially if the Suns get off to a good start
Thunder - playing well at the moment
Redlands to strong
-
All games could go either way

If the gulf is as wide as you guys say then the stand alone reserves sides should dominate their respective leagues, they don't at the moment Port Melb and Willi are on top of the VFL ladder and Collingwood and Geelong are in the bottom half.Sydney and Brisbane also do not dominate and have not.I agree the professionalism should be having this effect it is not.

I also watched a number of VFL games last year the Suns should not have been able to win matches coming from TAC cup if the level was so dominant.

Crameri, Duigan, Curnow, Krakouer, Marcovic have all stepped straight into AFL and performed well from state leagues this year.

On the NEAFL, the gap has closed to the better state leagues so it is certainly not there yet but has come a long way from where it was even 5 years ago.

Whether any mature players will be taken from the NEAFL, not sure Qld footy has the trust of the recruiting industry at the moment.Time will tell.

I think you are on the right track Beach some players in all the second string leagues have the ability it is the full time aspect of the step up that makes the difference. Give a naturally gifted player the same training regimentation over a sumer period and they can have an impact at AFL level.

As for the NEAFL being below the standard of the WAFL VFL SANFL maybe its time the teams in the NEAFL stepped up there own effort on a semi professional basis to close the gap. The development of youger players is the way to go

I think you are on the right track Beach some players in all the second string leagues have the ability it is the full time aspect of the step up that makes the difference. Give a naturally gifted player the same training regimentation over a sumer period and they can have an impact at AFL level.

As for the NEAFL being below the standard of the WAFL VFL SANFL maybe its time the teams in the NEAFL stepped up there own effort on a semi professional basis to close the gap. The development of youger players is the way to go
clubs like morningside mtgravatt broadbeach and labrador dont have the resources?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Labrador - in a tight one good players coming back in
Mt Gravatt - close especially if the Suns get off to a good start
Thunder - playing well at the moment
Redlands to strong
-
All games could go either way

Mt Gravatt
Morningside (they will lift)
Redlands
Aspley (now or never)

Bear in mind I scored 0 last week !

Spot on. Clubs do have to step up the level of professionalism and resources. They will need financial assistance to do this properly.
More pressing though is a desperate need for an elite under 18's competition.
You need to develop young players but at their own pace and having a much improved 18's comp is a priority. They should replicate an 18's comp from the state league clubs and create a clear pathway. Most 18's players are not ready for senior action immediately and at some clubs only play up because of lack of depth or real numbers.
This would put more responsibility on the state league clubs to develop their own players better and with the best interests in mind. I hear people run down the 18's standard - I would say fix that first and we will be in a much better situation to close the gap on other states.

They need video editing facilities, more statistics, more coach education, better facilities at some clubs, more development coaches.
Eventually the AFL need to fund a permanent full time football development manager and an operations manager looking after sponsorship/facilities. And maybe an admin staff member for good measure.

They need video editing facilities, more statistics, more coach education, better facilities at some clubs, more development coaches.
Eventually the AFL need to fund a permanent full time football development manager and an operations manager looking after sponsorship/facilities. And maybe an admin staff member for good measure.

Couldnt agree more with both quotes.

Spot On.

The CDM that the AFL has funded the last few years has been a success, but I agree that the time has come for the AFL to fund 2 people for the NEAFL clubs without pokie palaces behind them.

1. to manage and run all football matters
2. to manage sponsorship and facilities

The AFL from what I hear wants to get Sydney AFL teams into the NEAFL. They will need even more assistance as they are quite a bit behind- perhaps funding for coaching.

Lets hope that this is a priority with the rivers of gold coming from TV rights, but who knows if it will be?

The AFL has said it wants the NEAFL to be a similar standard to WAFL/SANFL/VFL in 5 years- it will not happen without either extra funding for the current teams and possible expansion teams, or unfortunately a situation where only the rich clubs (AFL clubs, NT, Aspley, Ainslie etc) play at that level.

By the way I reckon the QLD clubs do very well considering their financial resouces. The fact that Mt Gravatt and Morningside comfortably beat the ACT teams that have twice the dollars tells me that something must be going right up here.

Based on that every local club in the NEAFL is under resourced. I agree that is what every club needs to strive towards, maybe bait of TV rights $$ would do the trick???

Based on that every local club in the NEAFL is under resourced. I agree that is what every club needs to strive towards, maybe bait of TV rights $$ would do the trick???

Reece Toye in severe doubt tomorrow for Aspley.Unsung player,should be leading b&f at this early stage.Goes lot better than some of these high paid recruits

I agree with the idea of an elite under 18 comp that could only benefit the development of younger players. Financially nearly all clubs in the NEAFL will need assistance to improve but how they spend this money is just as important

I agree with the idea of an elite under 18 comp that could only benefit the development of younger players. Financially nearly all clubs in the NEAFL will need assistance to improve but how they spend this money is just as important

Don't give the clubs the money in blank form, but rather allocate the funds directly to the resource required. This will prevent money being spent on players etc.
Might help to zone regions throughout QLD to give the state league direct incentive to start developing the juniors in their area.

If there is only 4 players still running around from a under 12s grand final 7 years ago doesnt this say that the structure through junior football to senior is wrong this team remained extremely competetive right through junior football
The u18s have been banished ie bushies stingrays this is the best catalyst to promote the 18s but they need it to be a elite comp and only play against these regional teams
Professionalism would be assured as it is run and controlled by actual clubs that have been around for quite a while now
The 16 state champs will be completed on monday were do these top age kids go to from here there are possibly only 4 or 5 players that actually know the game in each team at club level many will leave the sport disheartened and possibly not play any sport from then on
The under 18 scorpions is a complete mixed bag do we really have the best going round and the support staff to match
Clubs survive in SA Vic and WA as they nurture there 18s and give them the competition that gets them to senior level QLD doesnt have the gene pool as yet but will eventually this is the time to build a league that can be sustained into the future :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back