NEAFL - Northern Conference - Season 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

been watching NT v Norningside on the net...NT 27.18 - Morn 9.9 - towards the end of the game.....27 more scoring shots!!!! NT good...Morningside had nothing!

If there is only 4 players still running around from a under 12s grand final 7 years ago doesnt this say that the structure through junior football to senior is wrong this team remained extremely competetive right through junior football
The u18s have been banished ie bushies stingrays this is the best catalyst to promote the 18s but they need it to be a elite comp and only play against these regional teams
Professionalism would be assured as it is run and controlled by actual clubs that have been around for quite a while now
The 16 state champs will be completed on monday were do these top age kids go to from here there are possibly only 4 or 5 players that actually know the game in each team at club level many will leave the sport disheartened and possibly not play any sport from then on
The under 18 scorpions is a complete mixed bag do we really have the best going round and the support staff to match
Clubs survive in SA Vic and WA as they nurture there 18s and give them the competition that gets them to senior level QLD doesnt have the gene pool as yet but will eventually this is the time to build a league that can be sustained into the future :)

Not sure what U18 comps you are talking about dumbness but in say the strongest metro comp (Eastern Football League) the U18's comp is struggling big time with many clubs either unable or just fielding teams.
Also the thought that because a club has been around for a while doesn't guarantee professionalsim or ability!! Noosa finished in the Top 2 i think it was last yr in the 18's and although are a professional club in most areas, certainly no more so than half a dozen sides in the level above.

IMO the U16 kids who are any good will next year move into a competitive U18 comp if they play Div 1. Aside from a contrived comp like the TAC this is as good a league as you should expect to get out of a state like Qld currently. If a boy is pushing seriously for Scorpions selection then i imagine they will spend some time flirting bn the 18's and their senior side. A boy like Laskey for instance showed that playing at PHC level last year did not hurt him at all and played the odd 18's match.
Lets not pretend all is rosey in the "football" states and that Qld are miles behind in terms of what happens at the top end. Think you might be surprised. In fact we are behind in ability bc we don't have the sheer number of boys that live, eat and breathe the game from age 3. That's not a terrible thing but the development is just a couple of yrs behind.

And if kids leave the sport because they aren't playing in a "winning" side with guns all around them, then maybe they just aren't cut out for the sport??

been watching NT v Norningside on the net...NT 27.18 - Morn 9.9 - towards the end of the game.....27 more scoring shots!!!! NT good...Morningside had nothing!

Panthers have now been whacked 3 times in 5 games and have only won against an understrength Lions and Eastlake who we really don't know much about.

Their gun players are getting old and slowing down and they don't have the finances to go an buy themselves out of a slump. It is extraordinary that the best performed club of the past decade and dual reigning premiers have retained most of their list, picked up a couple of handy ones, and yet look like not playing finals for I believe only the second time in 25 years. Could end up towards the bottom.

Could be a tough couple of years for a really proud footy club.

Not sure what U18 comps you are talking about dumbness but in say the strongest metro comp (Eastern Football League) the U18's comp is struggling big time with many clubs either unable or just fielding teams.
Also the thought that because a club has been around for a while doesn't guarantee professionalsim or ability!! Noosa finished in the Top 2 i think it was last yr in the 18's and although are a professional club in most areas, certainly no more so than half a dozen sides in the level above.

IMO the U16 kids who are any good will next year move into a competitive U18 comp if they play Div 1. Aside from a contrived comp like the TAC this is as good a league as you should expect to get out of a state like Qld currently. If a boy is pushing seriously for Scorpions selection then i imagine they will spend some time flirting bn the 18's and their senior side. A boy like Laskey for instance showed that playing at PHC level last year did not hurt him at all and played the odd 18's match.
Lets not pretend all is rosey in the "football" states and that Qld are miles behind in terms of what happens at the top end. Think you might be surprised. In fact we are behind in ability bc we don't have the sheer number of boys that live, eat and breathe the game from age 3. That's not a terrible thing but the development is just a couple of yrs behind.

And if kids leave the sport because they aren't playing in a "winning" side with guns all around them, then maybe they just aren't cut out for the sport??

Certainly not going to be a mind reader here but I believe that dumbness was implying the 18's comp he was referring to was the 18's State Titles ie Bushies, Stingrays, Tiapans etc. The deciding powers just did away with it and showed everyone that (in the last couple of years anyway) they couldn't care less who performed, they were simply only going to pick who they cared about anyway (whether they performed or not).

Also his comment about the 12's kids was a comment about a WINNING 12's side that now only has 4 kids still playing the game. This team was a very successful side throughout all of the age groups with a large number of rep players, who played and teamed up with other talented kids who became dismayed with the sport because of club cultures and poorly structured development pathways where no matter how much you busted a gut, a few chosen boys are given all the opportunities.

Sure young fellas find other interests as they grow up, every sport loses them (we all know them from our days of playing sport), but a lot of AFL kids in Qld are getting cast aside by their own sport (and this is during National Carnivals) and that is why numbers are dropping off and clubs are recruiting from outside to make the NEAFL a strong comp.

Reece Toye in severe doubt tomorrow for Aspley.Unsung player,should be leading b&f at this early stage.Goes lot better than some of these high paid recruits

Noticed Toye in best, not bad for a bloke under a fitness cloud.
The concessions that the Thunder get, salary cap and 2/3rds games in NT are starting to take hold. Reminds me of an AFL team years ago with the same salary cap advantage over the competition .....where are they now?. Tapp and both Argus's lured by extra money and job promises, at NT, at least Tapp has been worth it....just

May I ask which site you were on to watch the game? Do they show other NEAFL games? Thanks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Certainly not going to be a mind reader here but I believe that dumbness was implying the 18's comp he was referring to was the 18's State Titles ie Bushies, Stingrays, Tiapans etc. The deciding powers just did away with it and showed everyone that (in the last couple of years anyway) they couldn't care less who performed, they were simply only going to pick who they cared about anyway (whether they performed or not).

Yeah - fair enough. Find it really strange myself that they have done away with this. Imagine there was reasons like cost/benefit?

Also his comment about the 12's kids was a comment about a WINNING 12's side that now only has 4 kids still playing the game. This team was a very successful side throughout all of the age groups with a large number of rep players, who played and teamed up with other talented kids who became dismayed with the sport because of club cultures and poorly structured development pathways ????
where no matter how much you busted a gut, a few chosen boys are given all the opportunities.

Sure young fellas find other interests as they grow up, every sport loses them (we all know them from our days of playing sport), but a lot of AFL kids in Qld are getting cast aside by their own sport (and this is during National Carnivals) and that is why numbers are dropping off and clubs are recruiting from outside to make the NEAFL a strong comp.

Not sure - sometimes I reckon the main issue here in Qld is that it so much easier to make a rep side (seem to be rep sides for rep sides half the time and if you're not wearing a rep jumper at club training then you must be hopeless!) than other states and it builds the kids up into believing they are superstars bc of it. When it starts moving to the pointy end and the boy who has made every rep side since the age of 11 suddenly finds himself out in the cold, it becomes everyones fault but their own. I know this is a generalisation but do see it alot.

played pretty well. named in the best

He did play well considering he popped his shoulder at home during the week.I was very impressed with how Aspley moved and run the ball on Sat.Sickening collision with one of the Aspley players.Hope he ok.

Hard to read the form of NEAFL teams in 2011. None the less great for the league as it continues to improve every year. No bad teams these days. Anyway here are my picks this week:

Suns to beat Lions by 10-20 (NEAFL not AFL that is haha)

Vultures to beat Tigers by 4, could go either way this game.

Thunder to keep their run going with a 30ish point win over Sharks. Going to take a huge effort to stop this team from taking the minor title. Concessions definetly showing, got more mature bodies now also.

Bombers over Cats in a close one. Yet another match that could fall either way.

Panthers to rebound v the Hornets and notch a win given their pride took a hit on the weekend.

Who does everyone have making the top 5? Also spoon prediction?

Ive got Aspley to finish bottom with Lions not far ahead.

Top 5:

NT Thunder
Mt Gravatt Vultures
Broadbeach Cats
Redland Bombers
Labrador Tigers

(Suns/Panthers unlucky)

Thoughts?

Noticed Toye in best, not bad for a bloke under a fitness cloud.
The concessions that the Thunder get, salary cap and 2/3rds games in NT are starting to take hold. Reminds me of an AFL team years ago with the same salary cap advantage over the competition .....where are they now?. Tapp and both Argus's lured by extra money and job promises, at NT, at least Tapp has been worth it....just

I would be surprised if Tapp is getting more money from Thunder than Aspley would pay him. Argus and Tapp doing completelly different jobs to their trades in Brisbane and enjoy lifestyle change and very professional football club atmosphere. Didn't move to Darwin for the money !
Maybe they saw no future for themselves at Aspley !!

Rnd 5 results

maurie 3 (18)
staminade 3 (16)
2010premier 2 (15)
Footfanatic1 1 (14)
stuyd 2 (14)
damochandler 2 (14)
Lifes a Beach 1 (13)
pointer 1 (13)
chikka ferguson 3 (13)
BigE 3 (13)
Morphous 1 (12)
Speedyunit 2 (12)
thunderdoc 1 (10)

Western Bulldogs recruiters down watching Asp v Lab on sat.with no under 18 reps playing looking at mature age players, good sign for the NEAFL.

1 question:

How does cross conference games, eg: morningside v eastlake, affect the ladder? is it counted as usual or is it a nothing game? frankly do not see the point of these games? Why is it done?

1 question:

How does cross conference games, eg: morningside v eastlake, affect the ladder? is it counted as usual or is it a nothing game? frankly do not see the point of these games? Why is it done?

The 4 points are counted, because essentially it is one league with two conferences east & north. It is also about having the AFL sides reserves playing each other regularly (Suns, Lions, Swans & GWS) so it is not entirely about the integrity of the competition hence the strange concessions to the Suns.

1 question:

Each team in the Northern Conference plays 18 'home-and-away' games, and these games include a handful of cross-conference matches. The results of the cross-conference games are included in the respective ladders. In the above example, Morningside's win is shown in the Northern Conference ladder, whilst Eastlake's loss is shown in the Eastern Conference ladder.

Panthers have now been whacked 3 times in 5 games and have only won against an understrength Lions and Eastlake who we really don't know much about.

Their gun players are getting old and slowing down and they don't have the finances to go an buy themselves out of a slump. It is extraordinary that the best performed club of the past decade and dual reigning premiers have retained most of their list, picked up a couple of handy ones, and yet look like not playing finals for I believe only the second time in 25 years. Could end up towards the bottom.

Could be a tough couple of years for a really proud footy club.

Morningside so far this year have had some injuries to key players such as Shelton,Rodgers,Lawler and Price once they get these guys back up and running along with some more work into players i think their second half of the year will be good. their older players lilico,mugavin and abey have been their better players thus far and they currently have 6 players in the qld 18s so i think their future will be fine on feild. the lions had 16 listed players against them in round 1 hardly call that understrength?

Hard to read the form of NEAFL teams in 2011. None the less great for the league as it continues to improve every year. No bad teams these days. Anyway here are my picks this week:

Suns to beat Lions by 10-20 (NEAFL not AFL that is haha)

Vultures to beat Tigers by 4, could go either way this game.

Thunder to keep their run going with a 30ish point win over Sharks. Going to take a huge effort to stop this team from taking the minor title. Concessions definetly showing, got more mature bodies now also.

Bombers over Cats in a close one. Yet another match that could fall either way.

Panthers to rebound v the Hornets and notch a win given their pride took a hit on the weekend.

Who does everyone have making the top 5? Also spoon prediction?

Ive got Aspley to finish bottom with Lions not far ahead.

Top 5:

NT Thunder
Mt Gravatt Vultures
Broadbeach Cats
Redland Bombers
Labrador Tigers

(Suns/Panthers unlucky)

Thoughts?

Lions will win this week.They are allowed to play 23 listed players if avail as they are playing another afl club.Should have 19 avail.

I''ll play:

Top 5:

NORTHERN TERRITORY LOOK THE GOODS
MT GRAVATT HICCUP ON THE WEEKEND - BLOODY BOG!
BROADBEACH TRAVELLING WELL
GOLD COAST SUNS PLAYING GOOD FOOTY - LONG LIST
REDLAND NEED TO EXTRACT THE DIGIT!

SPOON - SOUTHPORT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back