NEAFL - Northern Conference - Season 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Clubs could not affod to employ a full time coach

maurie,

You are quite right with your comment above, but breaking it down most current NEAFL coaches are full time, their time through the year in the off-season is spent on recriuting, talking to and helping players through, planning - finding jobs and digs for new players ETC, and through the season their hands on at the footy club with game days, training each session, looking at games with the reserves, U/18 & U/16s checking out the AFLQ Junior programs ETC. Most of these guys are married or have partners and I understand that behind every good coach they have got great assistant coaches and volunteers who help out on most occassions but at the moment their club duties would take up at least 40 hours a week and then they have their day jobs with what I would say very understanding bosses.

The most under estimated coach for the past few years IMO in the Qld system was your clubs past coach David Lake. Not only did he run his own buisness he was heavily involved with all of the above with the Vultures and the PNG National side, he took on to also run the Vultures Footy club with sponsorship, club day to day running, grants for equipment, buildings etc. I know he did these things because he beileved in the boys and the footy club, but the role of coach in this instance is a very underestimated one, maybe the powers to be or who are at the Vultures will understand the work he covered in his time at the club or maybe they wont - while there a guys like David Lake involved with the NEAFL system then we are in a good place IMO.

I just hope that someone stands up to the plate at the club to fill his boots with the off feild requirements to keep the club strong - I dont mean Andy (Nipper) Mellor (I rate him as a coach) and Neville (Nifty) Miller (his record says it all) as their roles should be just the on feild duties concentrating on the young guys comming through and footy coaching.

maurie,

You are quite right with your comment above, but breaking it down most current NEAFL coaches are full time, their time through the year in the off-season is spent on recriuting, talking to and helping players through, planning - finding jobs and digs for new players ETC, and through the season their hands on at the footy club with game days, training each session, looking at games with the reserves, U/18 & U/16s checking out the AFLQ Junior programs ETC. Most of these guys are married or have partners and I understand that behind every good coach they have got great assistant coaches and volunteers who help out on most occassions but at the moment their club duties would take up at least 40 hours a week and then they have their day jobs with what I would say very understanding bosses.

The most under estimated coach for the past few years IMO in the Qld system was your clubs past coach David Lake. Not only did he run his own buisness he was heavily involved with all of the above with the Vultures and the PNG National side, he took on to also run the Vultures Footy club with sponsorship, club day to day running, grants for equipment, buildings etc. I know he did these things because he beileved in the boys and the footy club, but the role of coach in this instance is a very underestimated one, maybe the powers to be or who are at the Vultures will understand the work he covered in his time at the club or maybe they wont - while there a guys like David Lake involved with the NEAFL system then we are in a good place IMO.

I just hope that someone stands up to the plate at the club to fill his boots with the off feild requirements to keep the club strong - I dont mean Andy (Nipper) Mellor (I rate him as a coach) and Neville (Nifty) Miller (his record says it all) as their roles should be just the on feild duties concentrating on the young guys comming through and footy coaching.

well said, what is Millers senior coaching record like?

Nah not a current coach,

here is possible breakdown in season,
Game Day - 9hrs
Opposition watching (live and dvd) - 4hrs
Review - 4hrs
Training - 9hrs
One on one speacial coaching - 3hrs
Planning - 3hrs
Junior development (16s and 18s) - 3hrs
Admin - 3hrs
thats 38hrs without any travel coaches courses and functions

They hAve not been to any junior representative or pineapple cup games or neafl under 18's games yet either. I am with you speedy, if the neafl is going to keep improving then things like full time coaches and perhaps champion data statistics need to be part of it for all participating clubs.

Agree that fulltime coaches are going to happen however clubs are also going to have to look at staffing in the administative and support areas as well. The Tigers have already embarked on this process and it is paying dividends as it moves to become a more professional unit in the NEAFL.

The standard on the ground is continuing to improve and clubs must also follow suit off the ground if they are to lift the overal standard of the comp and try to close the gap on the southern power house states.

Agree that fulltime coaches are going to happen however clubs are also going to have to look at staffing in the administative and support areas as well. The Tigers have already embarked on this process and it is paying dividends as it moves to become a more professional unit in the NEAFL.

The standard on the ground is continuing to improve and clubs must also follow suit off the ground if they are to lift the overal standard of the comp and try to close the gap on the southern power house states.

Agreed here. Before a fulltime coach each club should have an operations manager looking after admin sponsorship, budgets, future planning etc.
Under him would be that each state league club has a Talent Development Officer based at their club, responsible for junior development, talent identification, coach education, recruiting. This would be made easier by zoning the state according to postcodes and would ensure clubs are rewarded for working hard in their area to develop players.
These TDO's would assist and monitor non state league clubs and offer clear direction and pathways to the highest levels.

Agreed here. Before a fulltime coach each club should have an operations manager looking after admin sponsorship, budgets, future planning etc.
Under him would be that each state league club has a Talent Development Officer based at their club, responsible for junior development, talent identification, coach education, recruiting. This would be made easier by zoning the state according to postcodes and would ensure clubs are rewarded for working hard in their area to develop players.
These TDO's would assist and monitor non state league clubs and offer clear direction and pathways to the highest levels.

Like the old VFL days when you had zoning throughout Victoria!!:) At least you knew who you were going to play for if good enough!

I hear Broadbeachs heirachy is ok with loosing Fults and the Rolfe boys and a couple of others.Apparently were seen as shit stirrers and whingers .Also, Zorko , is said to have lost the trust of the playing group latter in season 2011,with captain Fife, saying after season end,.... let the lions have him!!.....And fitness coach, Foxy,made comments on this to the tune of some guys being whingers,selfish and spoilt..... I dont know the inside details,.. a pity... but certainly where there is smoke there is fire.If true,.. congrats to the heirachy for standing firm and progressing with their master plan to get Broachbeach achieving success.

Absolute garbage that. Zorko was loved and still is at Broady. If your reading qoutes off the broadbeach website its all in good humour and none of it is actual fact.

Have since been advised that players such as Fults and Rolfe boys etc are no longer required players, as part of the clubs long term plans and progress,.... but still highly respected for their services to the club.
Captain Fifes comments about Zorko were of a joking manner, as he knows loosing Zorko will be a huge loss and hard to replace.
Its not long ago, such as when Shaun Hart and Dennis Knight and Adrian Smith were head coaches, there definately was a problem with players attitudes , bitching and whinging when they had to come to the bench for a rest or for disciplne reasons and not following game plans on the field.....What this new Broadbeach heirachy is implementing, is a complete culture change, which showed rapid progress, as proven by the 2011 result. a great improved result. With this plan in place being implemented and the understanding of the player list of what is required, I feel the Cats will be a major player in 2012.In addition,new lighting to the ground (assisting in training at darkness) and a new quality building to house not only change room facilities, but a gym ,ice baths etc, only enhances the clubs ability to improve on the field..... Go the Cats.

Sorry study1, didnt see this before i wrote before... my bad

I see in the local rag that Aspley have signed Travis Johnston - and the return of Bryce Carrol from Coburg.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see in the local rag that Aspley have signed Travis Johnston - and the return of Bryce Carrol from Coburg.

Article also names Matty Francis and Peter Ryan as new assistant coaches. Are they getting serious about junior development by bolstering the coaching capacity? A new major sponsor also to be announced according to word from the AGM.

Travis Johnson...he's either a master salesman or must have a mate at Aspley...didn't deliver at Redlands

Agree with everyones comments about Johnstone and as Big E states hope they didn't fork out the coin that Redlands did!!!!!

Travis Johnson...he's either a master salesman or must have a mate at Aspley...didn't deliver at Redlands

And you are surprised Maurie?? There are blokes you just don't bother with post AFL career - its not rocket science... Can't believe some of these clubs - the saying "more money than sense" comes to mind.

Brings up a good point about the ex AFL blokes....some are good...others average....many dont make it but look on it as a quick way to make a buck.....I reckon the Vultures would have one of the best records in recruiting ex AFL blokes.....Darryl White and Albert Proud have been fantastic...there have been some shockers and others who really have contributed...think we have done well and all credit to Lakey for managing that.

And it is no coincidence that the Vultures are consistently thereabouts. Proud would have been a risk but if Dave knew he could handle it than an educated one. Just think it is no surprise when the same clubs with plenty of dough underachieve year in year out - why? Bc their idea of recruiting is to take every bloke whose name comes up as available. Said this time last year on this forum that recruiting TJ was just plain dumb - doesn't really matter how well he played now (although obviously not great), its the legacy these supposed top shelf players leave that matters - not sure if he left anything but ill will??

And it is no coincidence that the Vultures are consistently thereabouts. Proud would have been a risk but if Dave knew he could handle it than an educated one. Just think it is no surprise when the same clubs with plenty of dough underachieve year in year out - why? Bc their idea of recruiting is to take every bloke whose name comes up as available. Said this time last year on this forum that recruiting TJ was just plain dumb - doesn't really matter how well he played now (although obviously not great), its the legacy these supposed top shelf players leave that matters - not sure if he left anything but ill will??

Totally agree here SMY. Mt Gravatt with there boys have achieved results by keeping there recruits at the club and adding one or two each year. Of course clubs will lose players thats going to happen, clubs have to minimse the risk of losing 6 - 12 each year from there best 30.
Its good to say that you have recruited well but when you lose that many your are just replacing and puting your self back 1 - 2 years, becomes quite frustrating for supporters and sponsors.

Not to mention players who stay year in year out. No point crapping on about developing youngsters when all you do is go and recruit blokes playing for superannuation and little else.

Have to say the Labrador Tigers have three of the best AFL players that have put in for a club not only on the field but also off it in Aaron Shattock, Trent Noble & Tim Notting, they have added value in every department of the club during there time there and are showing the way for the younger players coming through at the moment

Southport got good service many years ago out of David Bain...not so sure that recent acquisitions have been as successful
Yes, agree Maurie. Bain, great value, as are Proud and White, and as Pointer posted,Shattock, Noble, and Notting for Labrador.I ask Pointer, wha about Spider Everitt.... was he a good example for the club and the players in his short stint.Also, what about Copeland at Aspley has he been a credit to the club ?

Remove this Banner Ad

NEAFL - Northern Conference - Season 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Back