NEAFL - Northern Conference - Season 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 2

Mt Gravatt to beat Redland

Ainslie to beat Labrador

NT Thunder to beat Aspley

Gold Coast Suns to beat Southport

Broadbeach to beat Brisbane Lions

Redlands in close one over Mt Gravatt.Trouble still around Dittmar Park.
Ainslie at home.
Cats at home against full strength Lions.
Suns if they are serious
NT.

match of the round no doubt. tough one to tip and should be a beauty aspley and tthe thunder

Not bad game first time I seen the Thunder live And they are a wonderful side to watch and play fair. Aspley skills let them down under pressure, they have a big passenger at the moment TRAVIS JOHNSON he is so lazy. Thunder were able to expose his lack of chase by going through his man. Anyway Aspley will be one of maybe 5 or 6 that will be a challenger this year.

By the way, the only trouble I see around Dittmar Park is the surface!
Surface must have been bad today?
Good on Panthers to be 1st local team to progress to Rd 2 of the Foxtel Cup.
Got back to Graham RD in time for last 3 qtrs.Aspley led by 27 during 3rd qtr only for Nt to kick 8-10 goals after that to win by 13.Both teams hard to beat throughout season.Dignan from NT joining Illett as one of the best mid fielders in comp.Rosier and Anderson should be drafter at end of year.Bucovaz seemed to tear his quad and that hurt Aspley as he was on fire.

Surface must have been bad today?
Good on Panthers to be 1st local team to progress to Rd 2 of the Foxtel Cup.
Got back to Graham RD in time for last 3 qtrs.Aspley led by 27 during 3rd qtr only for Nt to kick 8-10 goals after that to win by 13.Both teams hard to beat throughout season.Dignan from NT joining Illett as one of the best mid fielders in comp.Rosier and Anderson should be drafter at end of year.Bucovaz seemed to tear his quad and that hurt Aspley as he was on fire.

Great comments chicka, why wasn't Rosier draft last year i realize he is very small but has great balance and a big motor. Jason Roe for me was best but Thompson was really good for Aspley. Staminade makes the most stupid comments

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Class prevailed at graham rd. that's all you can say

agreed bu there was a period in the final qtr after NT had scored the first 3 goals where Apley blew 3 or 4 golden goal scoring chances. In any case was a really good game.
on a side note, I mean i knew Cam Illet was good but the man is impossible to catch, not because of his leg speed but he always somehow manages to get a disposal out even when it looks impossible.

agreed bu there was a period in the final qtr after NT had scored the first 3 goals where Apley blew 3 or 4 golden goal scoring chances. In any case was a really good game.
on a side note, I mean i knew Cam Illet was good but the man is impossible to catch, not because of his leg speed but he always somehow manages to get a disposal out even when it looks impossible.
One fit player on the bench after half time was no help for the Hornets. Thunder were always going to have the legs in the heat. Missed chances more the point I think Damo though not taking anything away from another solid (and classy) Thunder performance.

I've seen a bit of the Thunder in Brisbane and in Darwin. I don't think I've seen a better example of winning with humility and losing (on the rare occasion at the moment) graciuosly. A great advertisement for Territory football. Well done to all of the team up there.

Suns had 18 afl players yesterday, assuming they can play unrestricted again this season. I have no probem with it, lifts the standard of the league/helps the suns. Let the Lions do it also!

Suns had 18 afl players yesterday, assuming they can play unrestricted again this season. I have no probem with it, lifts the standard of the league/helps the suns. Let the Lions do it also!

Dont quite agree bball....

I reckon its great that the standard of the competition is continually being lifted, but thats not what is happening. The standard of 2 teams is being lifted at the expense of the competition. For mine 18 listed players is too many.

Southport looked all class in their Round 1 clash over Redland by 10 goals, yet come up against a Gold Coast Suns outfit full of AFL players and get smacked up by a bigger margin. Suns Reserves included former Collingwood Ruckman Josh Fraser - his annual salary would be double the entire salary cap for NEAFL Clubs. How can this be equitable?

Sure - Southport were stiff striking the Suns in their opening NEAFL match with a full squad to select, but I reckon the effort to look after Suns gives them a free kick. I understand the rules are different re playing lists if Suns make finals...not sure why this rule wouldnt be enforced throughout the year. Will be interesting to see what occurs this year if they make finals!!

Glad Vultures didnt strike them in round 2. Would have been a worse day that it already was!

I reckon its great that the standard of the competition is continually being lifted, but thats not what is happening. The standard of 2 teams is being lifted at the expense of the competition. For mine 18 listed players is too many.

Southport looked all class in their Round 1 clash over Redland by 10 goals, yet come up against a Gold Coast Suns outfit full of AFL players and get smacked up by a bigger margin. Suns Reserves included former Collingwood Ruckman Josh Fraser - his annual salary would be double the entire salary cap for NEAFL Clubs. How can this be equitable?

Sure - Southport were stiff striking the Suns in their opening NEAFL match with a full squad to select, but I reckon the effort to look after Suns gives them a free kick. I understand the rules are different re playing lists if Suns make finals...not sure why this rule wouldnt be enforced throughout the year. Will be interesting to see what occurs this year if they make finals!!

Glad Vultures didnt strike them in round 2. Would have been a worse day that it already was!
Well said that side Southport had in was a quality unit and still get beaten by that margin makes a mockery of the rules. The comp went through this in the early 2000 with the Lions and rules continuely being change to help them.

If they do want to cap the afl reserve teams, id like to see the excess afl listed guys play for another neafl club. Gets them a game still and would be good for the semi pro clubs to have an afl player involved part time.

Yesterday the Suns had v Southport:

Danny Stanley
Josh Fraser
Trent McKenzie
Charlie Dixon
Kyal Horsley (2011 wafl b&f runnerup)
Andrew McQualtar
Joel Wilkinson
Maverick Weller
Jack Hutchins
Liam Patrick
the list goes on.... at least it forces the other teams to lift their game if they want to win. The suns reserves wasnt much worse than the team that got thumped by Adelaide with stanley/mckenzie etc haha.

Good promotion for the league though having these names playing! Also as the season goes on, injuries will happen thus reducing the depth and team performance.

An idea could be cap it at maximum 12 senior listed players + unlimited rookies? Excess players could be shipped out to your Labrador's and Southports. Excess Lions could go to vultures, hornets etc.

What do people think? Any suggested rules around top up players also? Should they be kids only or allow a few mature agers a look in?

If they do want to cap the afl reserve teams, id like to see the excess afl listed guys play for another neafl club. Gets them a game still and would be good for the semi pro clubs to have an afl player involved part time.

Yesterday the Suns had v Southport:

Danny Stanley
Josh Fraser
Trent McKenzie
Charlie Dixon
Kyal Horsley (2011 wafl b&f runnerup)
Andrew McQualtar
Joel Wilkinson
Maverick Weller
Jack Hutchins
Liam Patrick
the list goes on.... at least it forces the other teams to lift their game if they want to win. The suns reserves wasnt much worse than the team that got thumped by Adelaide with stanley/mckenzie etc haha.

Good promotion for the league though having these names playing! Also as the season goes on, injuries will happen thus reducing the depth and team performance.

An idea could be cap it at maximum 12 senior listed players + unlimited rookies? Excess players could be shipped out to your Labrador's and Southports. Excess Lions could go to vultures, hornets etc.

What do people think? Any suggested rules around top up players also? Should they be kids only or allow a few mature agers a look in?

Let's not over react. Both lions and suns ressies played with 18 listed players yesterday as per comp rules. Lions also had 10- 11 blokes with afl exp. Including Drummond and Raines etc, and whacked the cats to the same amount as sharks. I can tell you that the cats were gutted at their own performance and when you consider the lions had the least injuries they have had in many years which will obviously change as the season goes on. Let's also not forget that the guys newly drafted are also busting out of their skins round 1 also. It will correct itself as the season goes on and I have no doubt that like every year neafl sides will win games agaInst the afl ressies. Don't forget last year the suns had no limit and came 3rd. The lions had a limit of 16 listed and came dead last. The year before 9th (just above the winless western magpies).

Just bad luck for the sharks and cats to get them on the wrong day.

Not sure he went to the Suns for quite that much...:eek:

Pretty sure Suns and Lions can have 16 listed players on the field at the one time.When they get injurys etc and have 14 players or less is when local clubs are a chance to win

Not sure he went to the Suns for quite that much...:eek:

You dont think Fraser is on $300k a year????? I would be amazed if he isnt!

2nd year of contract - signed when he came off contract at Collingwood in 2010 - was Collingwood Vice Captain in 2008.

You have to remember that he was one of only a limited number of older heads recruited by Suns. Rest were youngsters off draft where they would have picked up on minimum $ contracts. $ wasnt the issue when signing

Let's not over react. Both lions and suns ressies played with 18 listed players yesterday as per comp rules. Lions also had 10- 11 blokes with afl exp. Including Drummond and Raines etc, and whacked the cats to the same amount as sharks. I can tell you that the cats were gutted at their own performance and when you consider the lions had the least injuries they have had in many years which will obviously change as the season goes on. Let's also not forget that the guys newly drafted are also busting out of their skins round 1 also. It will correct itself as the season goes on and I have no doubt that like every year neafl sides will win games agaInst the afl ressies. Don't forget last year the suns had no limit and came 3rd. The lions had a limit of 16 listed and came dead last. The year before 9th (just above the winless western magpies).

Just bad luck for the sharks and cats to get them on the wrong day.

Even though Brisbane had a full list and were expected to win by plenty I thought my beloved Cats just went through the motions.Lucky not to lose by much more.Have to improve 100% plus to even feature in finals.Only rd 2 but will want to win this week as hard to come back from 0/3.

On the lack of media from NEAFL,are they going to announce Rd1 Rising star and Syd Guilford votes from last week.Notice the Eastern League has their Rising Star on the web site.No match reports from rd2 on web atm.Eastern conference streaming some of their week end games ala Thunder.Our football is of a higher standard,Labrador showed that over week end by thumping their premiers,our media is shithouse.What is going on?

Remove this Banner Ad

NEAFL - Northern Conference - Season 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Back