NEAFL - Northern Conference - Season 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Massive game this week between Tigers and Sharks.
LAB - you must be salivating at this one!! A few scores to settle?
I actually think this one will be real close as Sharks confidence has taken a little hit after Lions game. Enormous game for Tigers though as I think they maybe in trouble if they cannot get the points in this game. They need to win this one as Lions and NT away will be even harder to win. But will be ok if Broady and Redland drop a game to anyone below them.
Sharks need to steady the ship.

Staminade, as a follower of broadbeach I don't think you are representing the club at all. I have watched the club play a few years back when they were a bit of a rabble and whilst I did not see many games last year I can tell that there has been a heap of changes within the club and for the first time in a while (maybe ever in state league) I can see a positive direction. Your negative comments and snipes at other clubs reflect poorly on you and I hope other Big Footy bloggers do not see this as a Broadbeach "attitude". Broadbeach have a chance at making the finals in the seniors and definately in the twos for the second time in their state league history (both together). It is still a tough road ahead but the draw if they beat the teams below them could make it possible to host a home final as well. But lets be honest the club is a fair way off having a Morningside or Mt gravatt dynasty of success. Acknowledge they are improving and heading in the right direction, but maybe also acknowledge that Broadbeach had no success at state league level.
I thought Aspley was much improved yesterday and showed great character to come out firing after the season they have had. Broady would have lost this game in the past and also showed some good signs to fight back and hang on. Also thought the umpiring was excellent !!!

Bit of a trait of a club that has little success - bag the clubs struggling!!
Watched the second half of Broady v Aspley before Sharks reserves. Thought the standard was pretty average but agree a good result for the cats as they found a way to win. Thought both sides had some good young players out there to hang their hats on.

Chill Bill. Kids were drafted to AFL well before Suns and Lions played in this comp (or its earlier version). Vultures were terrible, no drama and need to improve. This Lions team however is full of professional players and bloody good ones - the best talent from around the country - ther average contract would be close to being more than our entire team! Good on them - they are an exciting bunch. Howver how you can link the fact that there is clear inequality between the pros and the locals - to never having another local kid drafted has me confused.
No such thing as an equalised comp at state league level. Brisbane clubs have a huge advantage with local talent and it does go in cycles. If Morningside and Mt gravatt are still on the bottom in 3 years then maybe there is a problem. i doubt they will be. AFL clubs are fantastic for the competition and we should be grateful for them.
More concerned about the new points system i hear they are bringing in next year. This is rediculous if it is true.

I like the league the way it is. Keep lions/suns involved. Only alternative is to align afl players to a Neafl club each similar to wafl/SANFL which won't happen either.

Used to happen BB - was a dogs breakfast unfortunately and not overly fair on the local clubs and their players alot of the time. Played in the State league with this situation and although it was great when we got Lions players, major logistial issues and the Lions/Suns ppl will absolutely despise this.

No such thing as an equalised comp at state league level. Brisbane clubs have a huge advantage with local talent and it does go in cycles. If Morningside and Mt gravatt are still on the bottom in 3 years then maybe there is a problem. i doubt they will be. AFL clubs are fantastic for the competition and we should be grateful for them.
More concerned about the new points system i hear they are bringing in next year. This is rediculous if it is true.

Why mate - IMO protects clubs from themselves a little.

How does a point system protect anyone? The purpose is to limit interstate recruits etc - not how much they get paid. What point system can work on NT, Suns or Bris? If clubs are restricted on interstate recruits then playing AFL clubs will be a problem.

Dont disagree with your comments SMY..Protection isnt a bad thing, however...

Clubs will spend what they have ..some sometimes spend what they dont have..and lets be honest some Clubs (maybe the rich ones) can get around the salary cap by employing players in questionable jobs.

However what a points based system will do, will make the inequality - and thus the gap - between AFL Clubs & NT and the rest even greater and thats not good for the comp. A points based system will prevent an Aspley or Southport, or whoever from recruiting a number of ex AFL players and bringing this quality into the comp. Yet Lions & Suns have carte blanche to get whoever they want. Suns this year pick up a Grand Final Player in Macqualter as a Rookie and plays in the comp - and would have stayed a rookie in the NEAFL barring a season ending injury.

The existence of Lions and Suns in the comp is great...but unless we are careful, the majority of Queensland based non AFL teams wont get a sniff. Is that good for the comp?

No fair point Maurie - but I'm sure the Lions/Suns would come under a different model. Someone like Zorko for instance, if he happened to be at Broadbeach next year (not a chance obviously) would attract zero points as he is a past player there. The idea is that clubs just cannot cheque book a playing list and Riodj we all know that paying what you don't have is fairly common place when egos get in the way....
A points system would definitely mean a greater focus on juniors coming thru and I'm not sure that is a bad thing. What it does stop is a club deciding that they will buy a flag in any particular year. I'm all for any system that creates opportunities for young blokes to play at their home club at the expense of the football mercenaries who tout themselves around to all and sundry each summer. It may also mean some clubs might be a bit smarter in which AFL players they recruit rather than just the mate of one of the coaches...

If they have a points system then their should be resources given to the club to better develop players in their area. And they need to zone the regions so clubs cannot steal or get into a bidding war etc over a 16 year old. This is where Brisbane teams are advantaged by it. The competition is attractive to ex AFL or state league players now and we do not want to see them miss out. Big spending did not get my sharks or Aspley a premiership recently. But most players the sharks recruit hang around.
Mt gravatt, Morningside have just come off successful periods - only Broady who is also cash strapped have not played finals recently but one feels they are going ok.
Not sure any clubs are trying to buy a premiership. Or certainly not recruiting beyond their current means??
A national reserves comp would only dilute the state league talent further as they would rely on top ups to compete and this would denigrate the competition.
There should be a greater focus on juniors - maybe have a list percentage rule.
60 players listed - 25 must be from your proximity based on nearby postcodes since the age of 16?

Points system does work in some comps that I know of Riodj, think the O&M is running with it or might be Goulburn Valley?? IMO the most important aspect to local footy is that clubs survive from year to year. There was untold damage to Qld footy I reckon when Nth Brisbane / Northern Eagles whatever they were damn well called went thru the late 90's spending monies they obviously didn't have and won premierships. Appreciate a fair while ago now. Just wouldn't discard the idea altogether.

Massive game this week between Tigers and Sharks.
LAB - you must be salivating at this one!! A few scores to settle?
I actually think this one will be real close as Sharks confidence has taken a little hit after Lions game. Enormous game for Tigers though as I think they maybe in trouble if they cannot get the points in this game. They need to win this one as Lions and NT away will be even harder to win. But will be ok if Broady and Redland drop a game to anyone below them.
Sharks need to steady the ship.

Only score to settle on the scoreboard, looking forward to this one though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cats by a large margin hopefully 70 points
Lions are very strong atm 40 points
Southport because they are the best state league club by 3 goals
Redland with too much to play for over Mt Gravatt who are having a pretty tough old year by 10 goals
Thunder by 8 goals just too tough in Darwin
Suns at home over a very young GWS by 40 points

Tune into the Foxtel Cup semi final tomorrow.A segment during the half time break not to be missed.Tape it if you cannot watch it.
Round 15

TIMEHOME TEAM AWAY TEAMVENUE
12:00 PM
Sat 7/Jul Sydney Uni vs Broadbeach No 1 Oval (Map)

1:10 PM
Sat 7/Jul Sydney Swans vs Brisbane Lions SCG (Map)

1:30 PM
Sat 7/Jul Labrador vs Southport Cooke-Murphy (Map)

Sat 7/Jul Redland vs Mt Gravatt Victoria Point (Map)

6:00 PM
Sat 7/Jul NT Thunder vs Aspley TIO Darwin (Map)

11:00 AM
Sun 8/Jul Gold Coast Suns vs UWS Giants Metricon Stadium (Map)

BYE Morningside

Broadbeach.Eagle to kick 10.
Lions.Tossed the coin.
Southport.Wish I could get to this game.Labrador want the 4 points plus to square up a few things on field from last time they met.Could get real heated.
Redlands.Clouston to keep his name up in front of AFL scouts.
Thunder.%age boost for them.Unbeatable at TIO.
Suns.Who knows.Only because they are at home.Lots of inj but GWS in same boat and young.

Good luck to x Panther and Magpie Jackson Allan if he gets selected for his AFL debut.

Round 15

TIMEHOME TEAM AWAY TEAMVENUE
12:00 PM
Sat 7/Jul Sydney Uni vs Broadbeach No 1 Oval (Map)

1:10 PM
Sat 7/Jul Sydney Swans vs Brisbane Lions SCG (Map)

Sat 7/Jul Labrador vs Southport Cooke-Murphy (Map)

Sat 7/Jul Redland vs Mt Gravatt Victoria Point (Map)

6:00 PM
Sat 7/Jul NT Thunder vs Aspley TIO Darwin (Map)

11:00 AM
Sun 8/Jul Gold Coast Suns vs UWS Giants Metricon Stadium (Map)

BYE Morningside
Suns
NT
Redlands
Southport
Broadbeach
Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

NEAFL - Northern Conference - Season 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Back