NEAFL - Northern Conference - Season 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

no worries.

thats rubbish, there are many good footballers running around inNEAFL that don t play at aspley. im not sure where you would get that idea from
I think the biggest northside issue with Aspley and the local juniors from other clubs isnt so much the best kids go there (which they should be doing if they want to go anywhere etc), but the giant net Aspley through over any kid moving up from u16's that has made any rep team. When they are recruiting youngsters purely on junior reputations, and not on needs (players that will struggle to even play reserve grade footy, or who could benefit playing a year of 18's or senior footy at their own club before going there) that is when the local clubs get the shits.

Very interesting article in Northside Chronicle,local newspaper.Aspley have signed Fremantle de listings Simon Boyd, Ben Bucovaz and Chris Bucovaz from Geelong league as well as others already mentioned.

how are they massive under achievers???? started with not much and third year in played finals. did you expect them to win a flag in three years???

Probably haven't done badly although their salary cap would be as high as anyones in this comp (or could be). Certainly the last 10 years haven't been great ones when they were in the PHC and still had a fair bit going for it.

Well said 2010premier. people need to get over Aspley. They are in NEAFL and of course local juniors from other clubs will want to play there. a kid seriuos about his footy will want to play at the best standard available. so if sandgate, grange, mayne, coast kids want to come at aspley, dont blame the hornets for that. Can we go thru a season without the same old posters on here bashing Aspley??? that remains to be seen

Thanks for highlighting your own post Big E - maybe the reason why i think they are massive underachievers....:confused:

Funny how "local juniors" all of a sudden have become "Aspley juniors" in some peoples eyes. I'm talking about developing your own I suppose.

Agree Bris Vegas.

Very interesting article in Northside Chronicle,local newspaper.Aspley have signed Fremantle de listings Simon Boyd, Ben Bucovaz and Chris Bucovaz from Geelong league as well as others already mentioned.

assembling a very good side..stuffed if I know how they can do it under the salary cap......

No names old mate.......some users are not happy about name mentioning on site so id rather let you do your own research, but im sure you wont rate anyone not already at your club.............theres another gun midfield local lad there chasing real hard but hes a 80/20 against.........why?

Stop shooting your mouth off if u can't back your statements up. I think every club is doing well with junior developement and there are so many young blokes running around and if they go to other clubs to further there carreers then good on them.
U seem to have all the inside info on Aspley like Staminade! so why don't u enlighten us all as to why'
Oh and Merry Xmas

Many of the talented juniors are not at Aspley, so every year Perkins(Aspley) is poaching all the kids from the Nth side clubs through his connections with the AFLQ development people. Sandgate seems to be his favourite hunting ground.

Hang on BV, on the one hand there are many on the forum that point out ad nauseum that Aspley is the only NEAFL club on the Northside of Brisbane and therefore have a large area to draw players from. Now you're bagging the Club for 'poaching'. No wonder the club can't get it right. They're damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Any number of Aspley baggers on the forum seem to roll out the same contradictory sort of stuff. I'd ask what the problem is if, once eligible for 18s, elite EX juniors are invites to train with a club that will see them play at the highest level possible?

I also take it that if AFLQ wanted to run a Northside academy, it would be OK for any other club than Aspley to host it because that would mean Aspley were poaching? But then who else has the capacity?

The biggest irony is that those clubs who deride Aspley most are the first to turn to them for a handout in times of financial crisis.

The card carrying members of the Hate Aspley Club on the forum better be careful what you wish for. Although they may mistakes and every club does, from what I have seen Aspley get a lot more right than wrong. You claim they should be a dominant force. What arguments will you have when they are?

assembling a very good side..stuffed if I know how they can do it under the salary cap......

That's probably why you're not running a club Chikka. They do it and are getting better at it each year it seems. Believe it or not, the club is building (and has built) a value proposition based on more than player payments. If others on the forum believe that there is something very wrong at Aspley, how is it that a top class footballer and Grogan medallist who knows Aspley well is happy to come to the club? And here's the thing, he's coming from Southport! Hint- money's not the reason.

That's probably why you're not running a club Chikka. They do it and are getting better at it each year it seems. Believe it or not, the club is building (and has built) a value proposition based on more than player payments. If others on the forum believe that there is something very wrong at Aspley, how is it that a top class footballer and Grogan medallist who knows Aspley well is happy to come to the club? And here's the thing, he's coming from Southport! Hint- money's not the reason.

You should be quoting this to Maurie if you read this properly.

He will not be singing for his supper with the $$$ that Aspley are paying for him though. Highest paid player in the comp by some distance if the number I heard is correct, but I guess he is the best player in the comp so he deserves to be well paid.

It is well known that Payne lives in Brisbane and is over the travel- word from Sharks is that he missed training a fair bit due to this and as a leader in the club not ideal. A relocation to a Brisbane club was always on the cards.

Not surprising that Mt Gravatt and Morningside didn't get him- the amount being paid to Payne would be more than double thay pay anyone.

I am not an Aspley basher but to say that money was not a factor in Payne ending up at the Hornets is just not right.

You should be quoting this to Maurie if you read this properly.

What have I done...???lol

Thinking some may be getting a little precious...my comment was innocuous...that Aspley can put together what seems to be a good list is a job well done...my comment stating that I dont know how they do it within the budget is neither a criticism or an endorsement....who cares that I am not an adminstrator....would be a thin forum if that was a criteria for inclusion...

Kimball won't be back in QLD as he's building a house in Canberra at the moment and very setlled back in his home state.

2 of Mt Gravatts best blokes on and off the field. Hope you can recruit them Putney.

Add to this
Morningside - Kimball is back, Maplestone, Rhys Magin. Gough, Rogers, Nick Clark done, Lillico??
Redland - Corrie gone to W Magpies?, Mueller, Manzone, Weightman gone, James Webster, Jay Lewis in. Josh Norman??
Labrador - ????
Southport - Kiel, Burge, Pope, Harvey, Wade Twomey??(did he sign off on his million dollar deal), Jake Crawford
Mt Gravatt - M Hamill, A Tarrant, Russo gone. Hill and Barry return
Aspley - Payne, Bucovaz, Manzone in, Shir, Trewhella, S Brittian, Page, Stavetnuer gone. Sheehan???
Broadbeach - Chris Urie (former Geelong listed - VFL), Shaun Everingham (Alberton League B&F 2011, VFL at Bullants, Box Hill)coming from Foster FC with a few others. Gone Walton, Zorko, Hooper, Eagle, Fulton, Rolfe???

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At a function last night in Tweed Heads with a few high profile Southport officials and players in attendance.Payne at Aspley as they have got him long term,very well paid work and a very healthy playing contract which he deserves.Would have went to Morningside if they matched his playing contract as they had work for him as well.
Has gone to Aspley for 2 reasons and that is work and no travel down M1.Good luck to him and can't wait for Southport vs Aspley game next year.20k transfer fee paid

Stop shooting your mouth off if u can't back your statements up. I think every club is doing well with junior developement and there are so many young blokes running around and if they go to other clubs to further there carreers then good on them.
U seem to have all the inside info on Aspley like Staminade! so why don't u enlighten us all as to why'
Oh and Merry Xmas

Why don't you enlighten us why most recruits leave after their 2 year contracts have expired?You would be very surprised who supplies inside info.

Agree Roadkill but lets not once again lets not get consumed on the forum by the performance of the Hornets and let us be positive.
Interesting to note that a majority of the juniors are actually Sandgate boys !! (Go the Seahawks) - Nickerson, Beavan, Thomson, Hughes, Colch, Hutchinson, Wagner

Thunderdoc,

For the record, Bevan, Thomson & Hughes played in an U/12s Div 1 Premership Side for Aspley then followed a coach to Sandgate & Colch Started at Kedron - but apart from this I do agree, lets not get bogged down with with the negitive and move on with the positive.

Also for some other posters, If Mark Perkins did not offer the best kids in the region the opportunity to have a crack at state league then he would not be doing his job!!!!!

At a function last night in Tweed Heads with a few high profile Southport officials and players in attendance.Payne at Aspley as they have got him long term,very well paid work and a very healthy playing contract which he deserves.Would have went to Morningside if they matched his playing contract as they had work for him as well.
Has gone to Aspley for 2 reasons and that is work and no travel down M1.Good luck to him and can't wait for Southport vs Aspley game next year.20k transfer fee paid

was he on a contract Staminade at Southport??

Dogmatic - sounds like you may have been a little too dogmatic about the reasons why Payne chose Aspley. Obviously $$ would have come into it for a bloke with his credentials.

My criticism of the Hornets is more the fact that very few of their juniors who come through from say 14's-18's seem to end up playing senior footy there. Might be wrong but they seem to find it easier to recruit other clubs juniors and pay blokes from outa town. Thats fine if you can afford it (and obviously they can) but I'm not sure its a sustainable model.

How many premierships have they won in the last decade for instance (or finals campaigns for that matter) that says this formula works?

Thunderdoc,

For the record, Bevan, Thomson & Hughes played in an U/12s Div 1 Premership Side for Aspley then followed a coach to Sandgate & Colch Started at Kedron - but apart from this I do agree, lets not get bogged down with with the negitive and move on with the positive.

Also for some other posters, If Mark Perkins did not offer the best kids in the region the opportunity to have a crack at state league then he would not be doing his job!!!!!

No issue with that Snorkle - stands to reason he should. They are the "senior" club in the region. Sometimes its often more about how you do it when trying to work in with other clubs i spose. Found it tends to work better working with others than against them when in different standards of competition.
NFI how Aspley do it though.

2 of Mt Gravatts best blokes on and off the field. Hope you can recruit them Putney.

Add to this
Morningside - Kimball is back, Maplestone, Rhys Magin. Gough, Rogers, Nick Clark done, Lillico??
Redland - Corrie gone to W Magpies?, Mueller, Manzone, Weightman gone, James Webster, Jay Lewis in. Josh Norman??
Labrador - ????
Southport - Kiel, Burge, Pope, Harvey, Wade Twomey??(did he sign off on his million dollar deal), Jake Crawford
Mt Gravatt - M Hamill, A Tarrant, Russo gone. Hill and Barry return
Aspley - Payne, Bucovaz, Manzone in, Shir, Trewhella, S Brittian, Page, Stavetnuer gone. Sheehan???
Broadbeach - Chris Urie (former Geelong listed - VFL), Shaun Everingham (Alberton League B&F 2011, VFL at Bullants, Box Hill)coming from Foster FC with a few others. Gone Walton, Zorko, Hooper, Eagle, Fulton, Rolfe???

I will try and make contact with them...

Thunderdoc,

So how many kids does Perkins want? Hes offering(pleading with) a 17yr old midfielder to come over from another club, but to play where? They should have a very good midfield already this year with last years players and the new recruit........so what could he possibly offer a 17yr old midfielder.........games in the ressies and U18s?? To me thats just gread and has nothing to do with whats best for the kids development. Especially when they have no records for development if kids dont go past juniors to play in there seniors.

So how many kids does Perkins want? Hes offering(pleading with) a 17yr old midfielder to come over from another club, but to play where? They should have a very good midfield already this year with last years players and the new recruit........so what could he possibly offer a 17yr old midfielder.........games in the ressies and U18s?? To me thats just gread and has nothing to do with whats best for the kids development. Especially when they have no records for development if kids dont go past juniors to play in there seniors.

Brisvegas,

Good point on how many - but if there is a talented young player out there currently playing in (I suspect the PHC) then why not ask him to try out with a state league side, or would you want him to travel to another south side club to play.

There is a difference in trying out IE training with a state league senior side prior to the season to see if he enjoys it rather than staying in a comp where he might not get the opportunity to shine and maybe get picked up via the draft - Aspley showed last year that they where willing to play their and other adopted kids at the highest level
with some varied sucsess - if you don't have a go you will never know.

I am sure all of the other state league sides are picking out certain young players from other clubs and inviting them down to train pre season - just because its Aspley some people have a problem with it.

The way I see it if these kids can play at a state league level they will then take the spots of a lot of older players who would eventually filter back down to a lesser comp, so therefore it seems like a win - win for all.

Brisvegas,

Good point on how many - but if there is a talented young player out there currently playing in (I suspect the PHC) then why not ask him to try out with a state league side, or would you want him to travel to another south side club to play.

There is a difference in trying out IE training with a state league senior side prior to the season to see if he enjoys it rather than staying in a comp where he might not get the opportunity to shine and maybe get picked up via the draft - Aspley showed last year that they where willing to play their and other adopted kids at the highest level
with some varied sucsess - if you don't have a go you will never know.

I am sure all of the other state league sides are picking out certain young players from other clubs and inviting them down to train pre season - just because its Aspley some people have a problem with it.

The way I see it if these kids can play at a state league level they will then take the spots of a lot of older players who would eventually filter back down to a lesser comp, so therefore it seems like a win - win for all.

Good call..........part of an interview process involves or should involve whats best for the kid first and foremost. ....if another club on the sth side can offer a better opportunity in there line up for whatever reason they may be positional in need off.......... then id say take it. If Aspley are selling the club to a 17yr old midfielder then they are selling for the wrong reasons this season anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

NEAFL - Northern Conference - Season 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Back