Player Watch Ned Long

Remove this Banner Ad

Really happy he had a break out game but as others have said, the SCG suited his slow, strong tackling game. I still worry about him on the G on a sunny day in a big game.
MCG 160 x 141
SCG 155.5 x 136

I doubt 5m extra length or width is going to change if he’s a success or not mate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really happy he had a break out game but as others have said, the SCG suited his slow, strong tackling game. I still worry about him on the G on a sunny day in a big game.
He's no slower than Cripps and with a bit more size, could be a real bonus. BTW, I don't think he's overly slow. He's faster than Lippa and Pendles

has potential and something to work with it. Good size. Needs to improve his pace and fitness, takes a long time to kick the ball. As Jake the Muss says "to much weights not enough speed work".

He's no slower than Cripps and with a bit more size, could be a real bonus. BTW, I don't think he's overly slow. He's faster than Lippa and Pendles

Haha. Comparing his speed to one bloke who is below AFL standard due in no small part to his lack of speed (Lippa), and another who is a gun because of his absolute never-seen-before game and congestion awareness, disposal quality, and never-seen-before decision making, each of which can cover up for his lack of speed.

The trouble with Long is that he doesn't just lack speed, he also lacks disposal polish / decision making.

Haha. Comparing his speed to one bloke who is below AFL standard due in no small part to his lack of speed (Lippa), and another who is a gun because of his absolute never-seen-before game and congestion awareness, disposal quality, and never-seen-before decision making, each of which can cover up for his lack of speed.

The trouble with Long is that he doesn't just lack speed, he also lacks disposal polish / decision making.
AFL quality mids have to execute correct decisions quickly
He doesn’t

His DE is 67% and was in Top5 for speed last week according to the AFL app. At the rate he’s improving week to week, combined with his size and grunt, a permanent role is definitely on the cards.

People seem to be judging him almost as if he’s a mature age player with 50+ games under his belt. I often see his name grouped with Bytel and Sullivan who are in their mid 20s, often in the context of people moaning about us not developing youth…

He’s 21 and has played 11 games FFS. He’s younger than McInnes and Macrae. He’s put together some huge games in the VFL. Plenty to work with and plenty of upside IMO.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Ned Long

Remove this Banner Ad

Back