Player Watch Ned McHenry

Remove this Banner Ad

He has been given the most games of any of our younger players than I can think of. List clogging effort player. If you are going to play his role you have to at least kick goals. I would hate for him to go into the midfield he is not worthy of a midfield spot. Delist or trade.
100% agree. Can you imagine the amount of stupid decisions he would make in the midfield? He constantly looks like a dear in the headlights.

Definitely a player that hasn’t come on as much as I would’ve hoped. Ended last year so well, but has only managed to crack the 15 disposal barrier once in 2022, with pretty average attacking impact

I agree that it’s probably a positioning thing, needs to get a stint of midfield minutes so we can see what he’s capable of (that said, he wasn’t played in the forward line on the weekend, according to heat maps). Getting a stint in the midfield might mean sending him down to the SANFL and proving himself there
Yep, it looked like he played more wing on the weekend.
A couple of times when he had time, he just kicked it directly to Suns players
He doesn't look like he has a 1 wood, nothing that will elevate his game above anyone else
I don't understand how he is constantly selected, looks like he has the biggest gold pass in the team

2nd biggest disappointment (behind Schoey) this year as far as I'm concerned. Finished 2021 with 2 20+ possession games and started to look like a key contributor in terms of pressure and decent delivery inside 50. Yet this year has basically plateaued in every significant stat where he should be increasing, and to the naked eye his composure and skills have regressed to the point where every disposal feels like a heart in mouth moment. Would be close to the worst set shot in the league. Genuinely think if we're keeping him in the team he needs a block of games as a mid - I know he's small but his best attributes are far more suited to the midfield than the forward line. Otherwise we're essentially committing to his ceiling as a poor man's Jason Castagna, and if that's the case we may as well cut ties now.
How about the coaches give him some midfield minutes? Or is everyone relegated to a HFF until the stacked midfield retires?

2nd biggest disappointment (behind Schoey) this year as far as I'm concerned. Finished 2021 with 2 20+ possession games and started to look like a key contributor in terms of pressure and decent delivery inside 50. Yet this year has basically plateaued in every significant stat where he should be increasing, and to the naked eye his composure and skills have regressed to the point where every disposal feels like a heart in mouth moment. Would be close to the worst set shot in the league. Genuinely think if we're keeping him in the team he needs a block of games as a mid - I know he's small but his best attributes are far more suited to the midfield than the forward line. Otherwise we're essentially committing to his ceiling as a poor man's Jason Castagna, and if that's the case we may as well cut ties now.
Also, if I were a young player at the crows I’d give up, it’s not like you’re ever going to get an opportunity in your preferred position. The “senior” players have those stitched up.

Hopefully he has a decent back end of the season - then put up for trade and hopefully get something in the back end of the 2nd or 3rd round and invest time into players who can kick simple set shots at goal and hit targets regularly
You do know other clubs watch our games don't you?

The rookie draft is full of players who show as much as Ned has so far. No club is giving us a pick of any value, maybe next years 5th rounder just to get the trade done.

The more I see, the more I'm thinking bust. Does Ned have the assets to be a finals quality player? because that's what we need to aim for. I think not.

For those that are suggesting more midfield time, sorry but we're stacked in the midfield - Nicks quote pre-season 2022

You do know other clubs watch our games don't you?

The rookie draft is full of players who show as much as Ned has so far. No club is giving us a pick of any value, maybe next years 5th rounder just to get the trade done.

The more I see, the more I'm thinking bust. Does Ned have the assets to be a finals quality player? because that's what we need to aim for. I think not.

For those that are suggesting more midfield time, sorry but we're stacked in the midfield - Nicks quote pre-season 2022
Hence why I said has a good back half to the season to boost his limited value

Even if his preferred position is midfield and even if we take the three amigos out and run a younger rotation, I'm not sure Ned is even in the next top 5-6 named future mid prospect.

Berry, Shoenberg, Rachele,Cook, Soligo, Murphy, Jones, Dawson, Hately, Pedlar and probably a few I've forgotten all get a run through the guts before Ned does in my book.

Play him in a position that traditionally called for the strengths he has. Play him as a Back pocket with the whole game in front of him. Either that, or Play him where his form/talent warrants, I.e the SANFL.

Tries hard but has zero awareness/composure/control, classic frog in a blender.

Waste of time putting more games into him, he is so far down the list of players to get midfield minutes and his forward craft is abysmal.

I'm not a fan of Murph but would rather see him given midfield time rather then Ned.

Disgusting coaching that he continues to get games over Cook and even Newchurch to see what he can do at AFL level.

His ceiling never looked super high so it isnt suprising to see him stagnate.

The obsession with pressure players instead of goal kickers simply has to end. Murphy and Mchenry are not players that will get us to where we need to go.

I'd rather us rotate a promising midfielder in these roles to do the same thing. Who knows, we might find a natural small forward amongst them or develop some goal kicking skills whilst giving them early games.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

100% agree. Can you imagine the amount of stupid decisions he would make in the midfield? He constantly looks like a dear in the headlights.
Same traits as Pooholke.. obvious to those that know what they are looking at Ned is a list clogger.
The bigger problem is the fact his blind coach seems to think he actually adds value to the team.
Both can go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Same traits as Pooholke.. obvious to those that know what they are looking at Ned is a list clogger.
The bigger problem is the fact his blind coach seems to think he actually adds value to the team.
Both can go.
Yeah it's an indictment on Nick's that he isn't developing our team properly. McHenry, Murphy, Crouch for starters shouldn't be picked.

Out and out spud, trade or delist.

Has some of the worst awareness I’ve seen.
I agree...and without being overly harsh and I'm certainly not saying there was any malice or intention to hurt the player (Powell) whatsoever but McHenry's action in diving in belatedly to try and smother that kick but ending up breaking the guy's leg was simply another example of this. I was at the match sitting in the stand directly overlooking this spot and he (McHenry) was never a chance to impact this play but of course he throws himself into a meaningless defensive action but in such a clumsy way that he causes massive harm to the other player. Again I'm sure he didn't mean to but he's just not got any composure or control - just a bee in a bottle.

I agree...and without being overly harsh and I'm certainly not saying there was any malice or intention to hurt the player (Powell) whatsoever but McHenry's action in diving in belatedly to try and smother that kick but ending up breaking the guy's leg was simply another example of this. I was at the match sitting in the stand directly overlooking this spot and he (McHenry) was never a chance to impact this play but of course he throws himself into a meaningless defensive action but in such a clumsy way that he causes massive harm to the other player. Again I'm sure he didn't mean to but he's just not got any composure or control - just a bee in a bottle.
Just a shit player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Ned McHenry

Remove this Banner Ad

Back