Need Advice re: Quote for Work on Car

Remove this Banner Ad

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Does between $8-900 sound reasonable for replacing a timing belt and water pump on my 2005 Astra?

Just seemed a lot to us (who know nothing!) but a young lad I work with, who is into cars, thought it was very expensive, so now I'm really not sure what to do..

Would appreciate any thoughts from you guys out there, with thanks......cheers..

Now Macmum, I relate everything pack to the price of going to the football.

$800-$900 would buy you a family membership in a Prime seat at the GABBA. Now when I think about it, given that choice, I would forget the car and walk to the bus, but that is a decision that you need to make.

I have no idea how much it costs to fix a car:eek: I just know that it is before 6am on the morning of the first game of the year and Mrs CtD and the cat are both snoring and I am watching a replay of a random Lions game:thumbsu:

Just finished watching the Lions v St Kilda, 2005.

Lions v Collingwood 2008 at the GABBA should get me through to the stage others are awake:thumbsu:

25 seconds, Bradshaw gathers in the pocket, he snaps, and kicks the goal!!:thumbsu:

Silly me for thinking about anything other than our first game of the season!!:rolleyes::D.....Unfortunately, this quote has taken over my thoughts:(

Hope we beat pies by the way!...I feel sure that we did:p

Cheers CtD:)

Hey MacMum, I drive around in a 2005 astra. Unfortunately the only bad thing about an astra is that they need to replace the timing belt after 60K. This is a big job on the astra because the have to take the entire engine out to replace it.

From memory though it only cost me about $500 when I had mine done. Either way, it's not pretty on the pocket...

Silly me for thinking about anything other than our first game of the season!!:D.....Unfortunately, this quote has taken over my thoughts:(

Hope we beat pies by the way!...I feel sure that we did:p

Cheers CtD:)

We better start playing well, Collingwood are running all over us:p Move Adcock into the forward line:D

Anyway, felt sorry for ruining your thread, so here is something that might help.
http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=90566

Seems $900 might be over the odds.

Shop around might be good advice.:thumbsu:

im no expert either, but timing belts can be expensive due to the amount of time it takes to change them on some model cars. 900 is probably a lil much, but you could be very well looking around 700 bucks for it. timing belts are usually an expensive service. always check your log books and see when its due, and start saving in advance.

Timing belt services suck - but not as much as it would if the belt goes on you, cause the internal engine damage repair bill will make the $700 or so belt/labour seem cheap. It's one of those services that are a necessary evil.

Had a mate that had his engine sieze on him cause he ignored it. Fair to say he regretted penny pinching in the end.

We have a 2002 Astra, they are literally the worst cars in the world, my 1997 laser is so much more dependable! The astra leaks money, it always seems to cost so much to fix and it is never ending. Hate those cars!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey thanks to all of you:)....I really appreciate your responses....Am going to have to give this some serious thought, but the job does need doing as the water pump has started leaking, so will get them done together.......sure do hope Kevvy07 sends me his $900, will be very handy!

I thought I started this thread in the Den, where was it:confused:

getting work done on a car has become my specialty over the last 6 months :( the timing belt is always alot, at LEAST 5-600+. 900 seems like alot for anything to get fixed on a car to be honest but compared to how much cars cost to get fixed these days it doesnt seem particularly outrageous.
if you want some piece of mind get a quote from ultratune or somewhere like that to compare (im assuming that quote is honda?).

good luck :)

getting work done on a car has become my specialty over the last 6 months :( the timing belt is always alot, at LEAST 5-600+. 900 seems like alot for anything to get fixed on a car to be honest but compared to how much cars cost to get fixed these days it doesnt seem particularly outrageous.
if you want some piece of mind get a quote from ultratune or somewhere like that to compare (im assuming that quote is honda?).

good luck :)

Thanks konstas....the quote was from a local mechanic....I have now had another quote and booked the car in to be done on saturday morning at K-Mart auto for $779...

Its difficult to find a reputable mechanic, so figured a "name" place was just as easy...Its an eeny meeny situation IMO.....and I don't go to the dealerships as they are outragiously expensive.....cheers:thumbsu:

Everone with expensive to fix cars should buy a toyota.

I got mine (celica) three years ago for $3500, and haven't had to spend a cent in repairs on it since, and I've done about 10,000 K in it.

These 'electronic' cars they have thesedays are awful, money pits with buttons that make windows go up automatically and flashing lights to tell you your seltbelt isnt on. CRAZY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Need Advice re: Quote for Work on Car

Remove this Banner Ad

Back