New AFL Vernacular

Remove this Banner Ad

If I hear 'destination club' one more ****ing time
It is used by every single commentator now , any club that isn't shit is one of those

No offence to StKilda but they were calling them a destination club after getting Carlisle to agree to move
They have won 1 flag, finished in the bottom 5 and have a small supporter base
Or do you just mean they aren't conplete shit like Carlton this year

"Does that make sense?" - A rhetorical question often added to the end of each sentence in a Ross Lyon presser.

Presser - Press conference

Going forward. This is an utterly meaningless piece of managerese which is simply babble. It serves no use, other than to be a vocal comma.
Going forward? as opposed to what? Today I though that i might do everything in reverse or sideways. Today I thought that I may fail to advance, end up in yesterday and defy physics. Utter ****ing nonsense.

And don't even get me started on "of".
I would of had a pound have apples.
If you can't see what's wrong with that, track down your english teacher and set fire to them. Then yourself, and see if you can put the flames out, moving forward.

Usually I'm fairly calm...LOL

Last edited:
Marquee Matchup - A game that will involve the 2 teams in a trade, mostly with one club being bent over harder than they were on the trade table

A Trade out of Respect - a trade involving an older player who was bound for delistment, however still has pictures of the coach with a mexican donkey.

Manjula - some sort of spaceship.

Project player - any guy of 200 cms or more, who has never seen much less played footy, preferably from the US, and gets added to your list as a Category B rookie. In practice, this is really an all expenses paid gap year (2 years) holiday for an American in his mid-20s who struggles to make it in basketball.

Going forward. This is an utterly meaningless piece of managerese which is simply babble. It serves no use, other than to be a vocal comma.
Going forward? as opposed to what? Today I though that i might do everything in reverse or sideways. Today I thought that I may fail to advance and also defy physics. Utter ******* nonsense.
Definitely managerese. It roughly translates in to "forget anything you'e done right, let's focus on what you'll probably do wrong in future."

This AFL Trade Period a word has crept into the vernacular to describe a footballer wanting out of his club, and that is 'wantaway'. On AFL Trade Talk readers have been asked what they think of this term. When I first saw it last week I laughed, thinking it was a one-off, but it looks like wantaway is here to stay, replacing 'disillusioned'.
"Wantaway" has been used in English soccer media forever.

Here it is in the Oxford Dictionary
Here it is in an article from 1999

So, you can't blame the nuffies on afl.com.au for this one :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Project player - any guy of 200 cms or more, who has never seen much less played footy, preferably from the US, and gets added to your list as a Category B rookie. In practice, this is really an all expenses paid gap year (2 years) holiday for an American in his mid-20s who struggles to make it in basketball.

Maybe for Mason Cox and Eric Wallace but Jason Holmes looks ready to dominate next year

I also have faith in Coxy!

Time will tell. Will be huge for our game if we can get a couple of US guys playing regularly in the senior sides. Will hopefully draw more viewers and $$ from the US.

Sacrosanct. The head is sacrosanct.

Has anyone else used this word in everyday life?

Also panacea. The priority picks are not the panacea for success. I'd like to revisit that statement from Vlad.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

It's just not a word. It's a bogan word made for bogans to use (AFL commentators on AFL program's) And probably made up by a Herald Sun journalist.

Notwithstanding the delicious irony of an incorrectly placed apostrophe in a sentence criticising language, here's your answer:

"Wantaway" has been used in English soccer media forever.

Here it is in the Oxford Dictionary
Here it is in an article from 1999

So, you can't blame the nuffies on afl.com.au for this one :D

'Currency' is the one that gives me the s#its come trade week
But that's one of the few that make sense, both linguistically and practically.

Remove this Banner Ad

New AFL Vernacular

Remove this Banner Ad

Back