New AFL Vernacular

Remove this Banner Ad

Also, laconic. People don't seem to know what it means. I often hear it applied to someone who has a relaxed or laidback manner. It actually refers to a person of few words. So if someone describes a player as having a 'laconic kicking action', that's completely nonsensical.

Good point. Is Dane Swan the leading contender for the laconic tag in reference to his footy? In Swannie's case, it could also apply to his persona.

"For mine" is the one that really irks me. Ie. "He is the best small forward in the game for mine."
People say it to sound more 'football' or something. It's replaced the phrases "I reckon" or "in my opinion."

Also calling players jets. I used to think it was if they were fast but apparently any kid who's a good player can be a jet.

Has actually been commonly used in UK press for quite some time.

I'd like to add physicality, usage and structures to the list.

These all strike me as unnecessarily formal substitutes for otherwise simple words, deployed by people looking for ways to project greater intelligence.

Also, laconic. People don't seem to know what it means. I often hear it applied to someone who has a relaxed or laidback manner. It actually refers to a person of few words. So if someone describes a player as having a 'laconic kicking action', that's completely nonsensical.

Also - and this may be a broken record - but iconic and ironic are both embarrassingly overused. Same goes for vanilla.

And, during trade period, snaring or nabbing instead of recruiting.

Also, famously and obviously in contexts where they are redundant.

On these boards, I'm amazed how many can't seem to distinguish between his and he's, and then and than.

The worst one on here around this time is resign versus re-sign. Completely different meanings yet the amount of people writing something along the lines of "I hope (insert my club here) resigns players x, y and z" is staggering.

The worst one on here around this time is resign versus re-sign. Completely different meanings yet the amount of people writing something along the lines of "I hope (insert my club here) resigns players x, y and z" is staggering.
I like the thread titles of "{Star player's name} resigns!"

On these boards, I'm amazed how many can't seem to distinguish between his and he's,

This is one of my most hated errors. I'm a bit of a grammar Nazi on myself, but tend to let things from other people slide. That is one I just can't let go. That, and the word "versed"

This is one of my most hated errors. I'm a bit of a grammar Nazi on myself, but tend to let things from other people slide. That is one I just can't let go. That, and the word "versed"
And "should of" instead of "should have"....but this is for another thread!

Has actually been commonly used in UK press for quite some time.

On these boards, I'm amazed how many can't seem to distinguish between his and he's, and then and than.

I hate unnecessary usage of the apostrophe. I despise it when I see "CD's for sale!" in a shop.

"CD is for sale!" - What, only one?
OR
"The 'for sale' of the CD." I didn't know that it belonged to the CD!

Grrrrr!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hate unnecessary usage of the apostrophe. I despise it when I see "CD's for sale!" in a shop.

"CD is for sale!" - What, only one?
OR
"The 'for sale' of the CD." I didn't know that it belonged to the CD!

Grrrrr!
Teacher?

The only 2 real superstars in the AFL imo are Franklin and Ablett. Fyfe is almost there. Dangerfield, Pendlebury, Selwood etc not too far off.
Agree. Its sad that the 2 superstars finished 2015 injured.

On reading the Age's review of the 2015 Draft, a couple of pearlers emerged:

"List manager Stephen Silvagni seized on the Giants' need to downsize, packaging up four young players that he knows well" - confirmation that footballers are nothing more than commodities

"The master coach has backed himself in when nearly every club passed, so the stakes are high." Who is the master coach? Not Clarkson, but Ross Lyon

"The war chest was thrown at Adam Treloar, but the Giant went for Collingwood, and the Tigers were otherwise unable to significantly improve a list (except for Yarran)..."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-trade-period-2015-clubbyclub-guide-20151022-gkfq0t.html#ixzz3pMixKhDJ

Mental health / personal issues.

Used to describe any player caught publicly doing something the club would rather he didn't.

KB was trolling hard this morning about the old mental/health issues...

Apparently every single AFL player who does a bit of blow has some sort of deep-seated, emotional issue that caused him to do said blow (rather than just being a human being), and hence we have to tip-tie around them and their 'problems'...

For a silly old coot he can be a funny prick sometimes.

Chaos Ball- A quick kick from congestion that goes inside 50 and apparently catches the opposition off guard and creates scoring opportunities. Mainly used by commentators on FoxFooty, in particular Derrrrwayne Russell.

Chaos Ball- A quick kick from congestion that goes inside 50 and apparently catches the opposition off guard and creates scoring opportunities. Mainly used by commentators on FoxFooty, in particular Derrrrwayne Russell.
What a needless expression.

Yeah, sometimes the ball bounces in a way that is unpredictable. We can observe that. You don't need to make up a name for it.

"Flat track bullies" is one I only started hearing last year in a footy context in regards to the Eagles' ability to only beat lesser teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

New AFL Vernacular

Remove this Banner Ad

Back