New AFL Video Game - Part 6 - READ FAQ BEFORE POSTING

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Also Ross, us lot over at Planetcricket would love this same type of topic for the cricket game. So far we've had nothing at all, and it's suppose to release in summer!

I thought I'd look up some reviews for Rugby League Live as the makers of that game are making the AFL game and the reviews are pretty average. I really hope the AFL is better than the RL game, apparently you can't even play multiple seasons and trade/sign players. If thats the sort of quality game we are in for I'm not setting my expectations too high. I hope I'm wrong though because a good AFL game would be awesome.

I thought I'd look up some reviews for Rugby League Live as the makers of that game are making the AFL game and the reviews are pretty average. I really hope the AFL is better than the RL game, apparently you can't even play multiple seasons and trade/sign players. If thats the sort of quality game we are in for I'm not setting my expectations too high. I hope I'm wrong though because a good AFL game would be awesome.

People over at the Sidhe forums seem pretty happy with the game, from what ive read the gameplay is realistic but the game is lacking alot of features and is quite buggy.

People over at the Sidhe forums seem pretty happy with the game, from what ive read the gameplay is realistic but the game is lacking alot of features and is quite buggy.

The RLL game is very different from what people have played for the past few iterations and it takes some time to get to grips with the controller.

We took a decision to make the gameplay very deep and online very good, these were the entire focus and is the base from which we could build.

In my opinion the game does not review well because you cannot score easily, it is a sim and you must make strategic decisions based on real league - you can't score off every set of six, that and the lack of franchise mode, which has probably cost us a good 4 points on most reviews.

As far as bugs go, there are very, very few, if there were many then we would have patched it by now (a lot of the issues we have found to be people getting to grips with a new controller layout.)

The RLL game is very different from what people have played for the past few iterations and it takes some time to get to grips with the controller.

We took a decision to make the gameplay very deep and online very good, these were the entire focus and is the base from which we could build.

In my opinion the game does not review well because you cannot score easily, it is a sim and you must make strategic decisions based on real league - you can't score off every set of six, that and the lack of franchise mode, which has probably cost us a good 4 points on most reviews.

As far as bugs go, there are very, very few, if there were many then we would have patched it by now (a lot of the issues we have found to be people getting to grips with a new controller layout.)

So will the AFL game have a "franchise" mode? If so how many years will the franchise be? Will there be a draft with random created players? Similar to NBA 2k etc? Trades etc? Hire coaches etc?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're right Ross, the RLL gameplay is very deep and complex, and it is very, VERY GOOD, but can you please tell us WHY we have to play the game for 10 confusing hours to figure all this out?

Why was there no explanation either in game or in the booklet?

Im not surprised there were bad reviews.

I hated the game to begin with, but I persisted and its become my favourite sports title, EVER.

I take back all my negative comments on it, but still do not like the lack of explanation given to gamers, which Id imagine is a publisher decision.

You're right Ross, the RLL gameplay is very deep and complex, and it is very, VERY GOOD, but can you please tell us WHY we have to play the game for 10 confusing hours to figure all this out?

Why was there no explanation either in game or in the booklet?

Im not surprised there were bad reviews.

I hated the game to begin with, but I persisted and its become my favourite sports title, EVER.

I take back all my negative comments on it, but still do not like the lack of explanation given to gamers, which Id imagine is a publisher decision.

I am really sorry it's worked out like that - to be brutally honest it was an oversight which we have learned a lot from. There is nothing like having what we think is a good game to receive really bad reviews and death threats (I kid you not!!).... some people are really serious about their games.

Essentially we all had seen the game progress internally for 2-3 years and got far too close to it... we should have put in a better effort on the manual and tutorials. We should also have put in an "NBA JAM" style score at will mode to help people that want just a quick fix and high scoring affair.

I really thank you for your persisitence, without people such as yourself we would not have seen any redemption from the reviews.

As a matter of interest, it has held the #1 and #3 positions on the sales charts with Metroid at #2.

In season mode can you cheack player stats like how many goals they have kicked so far and how many disposals there averaging?

I just read the FAQ as suggested. It is a shame there is no draft, as it would be more believable in the "franchise" mode. Just to have random created players able to be draft would be a great addition to the game IMO.

In season mode can you cheack player stats like how many goals they have kicked so far and how many disposals there averaging?

No, you have to guess it.

Seriously, try and name 1 sports/simulation game where you cant see stats for your games.

and eld246 I totally agree with you, but from what I understand Big Ant Studios don't have the most money or resources to make a video game compared to say FIFA and NBA2k, so they don't really have the time or money to add this feature in. (Well I guess they have the time, not so sure about the money thing).

No, you have to guess it.

Seriously, can you stop asking stupid questions? - try and name 1 sports/simulation game where you cant see stats for your games.

and eld246 I totally agree with you, but from what I understand Big Ant Studios don't have the most money or resources to make a video game compared to say FIFA and NBA2k, so they don't really have the time or money to add this feature in. (Well I guess they have the time, not so sure about the money thing).

RLL is fairly light on the stats...

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but id love to see the ability to save replays

P.S
happy with the brownlow ross?

Just being pedantic, but I hope they take Trent Croad's thighs off of Buddy before finalising the game.

He's called 'Emu' for a reason.
Seem fairly proportional. Ross did say they measured the players too.

Lance+Franklin_13.jpg

39865422313069165695559.jpg

Seem fairly proportional. Ross did say they measured the players too.

Lance+Franklin_13.jpg

Yeah, we measured legs, arms, etc... I haven't had time to check the player measurements but my memory of Buddy is certainly not "emu" legs - at least I'd never say that to him :)

PS: I should add that those snippets are work in progress - I couldn't be sure that the final scaling was on the bosy in any case.

P.S
happy with the brownlow ross?

yeah, mostly because Collingwood are the same odds to beat St Kilda as Swan was to win the brownlow, living in hope :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back