New AFL Video Game - Part 6 - READ FAQ BEFORE POSTING

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

About time the AFL gave you a decent budget to work on this game to get it to Fifa standards.

Gee if this game was done properly on a big budget,then it would do more for the game of AFL in the world than anything else could.

You know what. That might just work. (it won't happen though)

Imagine if there was someone willing to absorb high costs. Make an awesome game, And then distribute it to America/UK/Europe. with a good free demo to get people hooked.

There are so many people that will play a good sports game regardless of whether they like the sport. and a lot of sports games make people start liking the sport.

I think it's not about that AFL got a good budget for a game, but they got a good development team going, and one that doesn't sell out exclusivity rights for the PS2!

Whilst i agree that a good development team is essential to delivering a great game, I also view a big budget as an essential thing, particularly for games which require licensing. Games that are built of fictional people and environments don't neccessarily need such a high budget as they don't need to worry about licensing and scanning hundreds of players faces etc.

That said I'm not very knowledgable on video game development so I'm probably worng :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine if there was someone willing to absorb high costs. Make an awesome game, And then distribute it to America/UK/Europe. with a good free demo to get people hooked.

There are so many people that will play a good sports game regardless of whether they like the sport. and a lot of sports games make people start liking the sport.

That's right.

I don't follow real life baseball but I love MLB The Show. It's probably the best sports video game I've ever played. You don't have to know the intricacies of the sport to appreciate the attention to detail and depth this game offers, plus it helps you learn about a game you previously knew very little about.

Unfortunately our small market means we'll never be able to match the budgets, detail and polish of American sports titles, therefore the AFL game is less likely to appeal to those who dislike or are unfamiliar with the sport.

Madden is a great example.

A sport noone plays here but we now know alot about partly because of that game.

Alot of NFL rules I wasn't sure of until I found out with Madden or even the 2k series.

We can all dream but if it was a game on the same level as a Fifa or Madden,everyone would play it regardless thus spreading our game across the globe and give an understanding and appreciation of our game.

Cmon AFL-get onto it.

You want this game to spread bigger.

This is the best way to do it imho.

is that everything including cost of license? (i hear maddens license costs them a lot compared to other big games.)

That's just dev cost - the license is way more than that.

Madden is a great example.

A sport noone plays here but we now know alot about partly because of that game.

Alot of NFL rules I wasn't sure of until I found out with Madden or even the 2k series.

We can all dream but if it was a game on the same level as a Fifa or Madden,everyone would play it regardless thus spreading our game across the globe and give an understanding and appreciation of our game.

Cmon AFL-get onto it.

You want this game to spread bigger.

This is the best way to do it imho.
The difference is though that they have the established markets already in the US (and when it is as big as the US there is no real 'leap' to make). Do you really think there's a whole lot of care for Madden outside the US when it comes to EA's thinking? You really don't get how much Madden actually does outside of the US do you?

Sales of Madden dating back years show that the US is they're absolute primary market.

The best selling Madden (95) sold 4.3 million units in the US and just hit 100,000 in Europe (which includes Aus).

I think you guys overestimate how widespread a Madden franchise might be anywhere outside of the US. Hell, even the NBA series doesn't do that different numbers to Madden outside of the US and the NBA is far and away a bigger sport outside of the US.

You need the real interest to be there before anything can really happen in regards to getting the name and game out there. A demo will only go so far and a higher budget just means that if it doesn't take off then the likelihood of the series continuing is lower or they will instantly strip the budget right back resulting in major cuts to this and that, potentially destroying so much good work.

I think if Ross can get the game out there on the PS Store and XBLM overseas then they are going in the absolute right direction, as it's VERY low cost in distributing the title and you don't really need to have any marketing campaign because it can be right there amongst the other titles on the respective Store's. It's not competing with known sports in retail outlets like Madden, NBA, MLB which have hugely established markets in the US.
I think it's not about that AFL got a good budget for a game, but they got a good development team going, and one that doesn't sell out exclusivity rights for the PS2!
Technically speaking it's true, but if a game isn't given a good enough budget then it can make things just hard to work with and often shortcuts are taken.

Look at the International Cricket series, Codemasters can't (or won't) stretch for licensing of all international teams and then you see fake names, fake jumpers, etc. making the game look unprofessional. That is just one element that lack of budgeting can bring.

The good thing about an AFL game is that if it is licensed by the AFL then that is all you need for players, jumpers and almost everything else (no doubt there could be some stadium licensing going on too) so instantly that hassle is taken out of the equation.

I don't know or really care to know how big BigAnt's budget is for this upcoming game, we've already been told by Ross though that it is the biggest budget for an AFL game, so that is only going in the right direction and hopefully with better return of sales due to extreme anticipation they can get a bit more next year and beyond and develop something the world of gaming can be proud of.
Whilst i agree that a good development team is essential to delivering a great game, I also view a big budget as an essential thing, particularly for games which require licensing. Games that are built of fictional people and environments don't neccessarily need such a high budget as they don't need to worry about licensing and scanning hundreds of players faces etc.

That said I'm not very knowledgable on video game development so I'm probably worng :p
It's all much of a muchness. Games that want to sell well outside of the licensing ring often have a harder time appealing to audiences and getting a name out there.

If you have a specific license then you're generally guaranteed of a return through the audience of the license you have obtained at least, so the leap of faith taken to get the license isn't that big or at least the impact is lessened when you know there is some audience there that you will sell to for sure.

But again there's pro's and con's as well, with a license you can often have strict rules to work with and can't exactly have room to express your gaming imagination in development but then you have that assuredness of calling your game "The Official game of...." so you can expect fair returns. Or if you don't license it you can go in other directions by just going all out arcadey or violent or batshit insane (somewhat like the Blitz series did) but it makes it tough to get the game out there and achieve high sales.

I know this sounds like a small benefit, but it would seriously help with getting more downloads on PSN (if there is going to be a demo)

Seing as the game will be titled AFL, or Australian rules it will mean that it is one of the first games listed under sport in PSN, therefore its the first thing people see, which would make it more likely to be downloaded than something begining with S or something else

Very minor issue, but could get alot of "random" downloads from, which could get new AFL fans from overseas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back