New Assistant Coach Required

Remove this Banner Ad

Dormammu

Club Legend
Nov 24, 2009
Out of sight, out of mind
AFL Club
Fremantle
Would seem that we'll be in the market for at least one new assistant coach, perhaps two if Mitch follows his son across to GWS as rumoured.

So we might as well use the time now to speculate on who might be in the club's sights.

So to get the ball rolling here are some possibilities

The "Tell 'em They're Dreaming" Candidates

Stephen Silvagni. Extremely unlikely, and yes, born and bred defender, plus get's chronically homesick to the point that he tears up as he's manouvering out the garage - and that's just when he's wheeling out the garbage bin.

But who knows, maybe SNOS has some incriminating family Christmas photos involving SOS and the family goat, or something really feral like Victoria Nicholls that we can use to get him over. Or not.

Matthew Lloyd

Too many interests in Melbourne, but hey, dreaming costs nuttin'!!

Not Out of the Realms of Possibilty Candidates

Simon McPhee (Claremont senior coach)
From basket case to comp leaders in the space of two years, it'd be wrong to at least not have a sit down with the lad and see what he might have to offer.

Tony Micale (The Mighty Royals senior coach)
Just seems to get regularly get WAFL teams into finals and the fact that he's on the outer at WCE is a point in his favour.

Bomber Riley (Carlton assistant coach)
Been around forever with heaps of clubs, but is that really a negative? His longetivity in the game, that he's ex-WA and a Neesham protege means that there's no surprises, both parties know what they're getting into.

Serious Candidates

Gavin Brown (Collingwood reserves coach)

Has worked as an assistant coach, currently the Magpies reserves coach and is getting results. May be disappointed to have been so quickly overlooked as heir apparent. Worked with Simon Lloyd who may be the man to talk him to cross the Nullarbor.

Gerard FitzGerald (North Ballarat)

Like Riley he's been around a bit, but the Roosters have been doing very well and his record at other VFL clubs doesn't appear to be too shabby either.

Joel Corey (Geelong)
Ex-WA, part of their leadership group and after Saturday's loss to Collingwood now more conscious of the ravages of time. Would also consider Milburn but was he ever a team leader? And sufficiently versed in the arts of the forward 50?

Tarkyn Lockyer (Collingwood)

Likely to retire ahead of getting delisted, he's an ex-Sharks player and occassional Magpie captain. Gutsy player, but seemed to have some footy smarts too.

The "Now Just Hear Me Out on This One" Candidate

Andrew Jarman. Not really a forward in his time as a player, but has been a patient mentor at North Adelaide and Perth; that all AFL assigned players - Sibo, Ruffles, Bollenhagen, Houghton and Ash Smith - have shown steady improvement would suggest that, at the very least, he has been able to communicate effectively with senior AFL coaches to understand and help implement their player development strategies.

No doubt there are many other contenders worthy of a chat (A Lynch, Bradshaw, various U18 and SAFL coaches) that I've forgotten, so feel free to throw their names in.

Discuss.

I assume you mean Andrew Jarman, and he'd be the first door I'd go knocking on..

Done wonders with Sibo, and tells it straight in the media (questioned Bollenhagen's readiness) so can only assume he's just as straight with the players behind closed doors.

We could well be losing 3 assistants.. Didn't Brad Scott mention his brother and North assistant in the same breath?

Jarman is going back to Adelaide with the Family so out of the question with that one I think.

Ashley Prescott, former Freo Player like Bond who knows where the club has come from, been working as an assistant for one of the Vic Clubs (but cannot remember which one) in player development.

Prescott is at the Bombers and works with Bendigo primarily, plays a role on gameday too.

Andrew Jarman would not click with Harves.

Simon Mcphee is a very smooth operator, very personable with the players and is a fantastic orator.

Ashley Prescott is the assistant coach at Essendon.

Yep, we might be losing three then..with Mitchell to GWS, Wallis to the AFL and Chris Scott being a major contender for the Port Adelaide job.

We could well be losing 3 assistants.. Didn't Brad Scott mention his brother and North assistant in the same breath?
Yeah, but not in this sense. He said it would be bad for North if Chris went to Port as he'd be a dangerous adversary.

When asked about Chris being an assistant at North, Brad said Chris had been telling him what to do for 34 years, so he didn't think he'd handle Brad telling him what to do. :)

I think we should approach a dual All-Australian, multiple B&F winner, two time premiership player, outstanding leader, a man who demands respect and would not only educate but inspire our young side.

I wonder if there's anyone who fits this criteria?

I think we should approach a dual All-Australian, multiple B&F winner, two time premiership player, outstanding leader, a man who demands respect and would not only educate but inspire our young side.

I wonder if there's anyone who fits this criteria?

Peter Bell.. No thanks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've always been a fan of Prescott as a coach.

What about David King? Apparently he's pretty good. Inexperienced but has got the nouse.

If Dean Laidley misses out on a top job, I'd go after him with vigour, although I suspect the Weagles will beat us to him.

I wonder if Bondy has any good relationships with any of the old bulldogs that are due to retire? Jonno? Eagleton?

Simon Black and Brett Kirk would be good?

Would seem that we'll be in the market for at least one new assistant coach, perhaps two if Mitch follows his son across to GWS as rumoured.

So we might as well use the time now to speculate on who might be in the club's sights.

So to get the ball rolling here are some possibilities

The "Tell 'em They're Dreaming" Candidates

Also in this category is James Hird. Doubt it'd ever happen but wouldn't it be great!

I've always been a fan of Prescott as a coach.

What about David King? Apparently he's pretty good. Inexperienced but has got the nouse.

If Dean Laidley misses out on a top job, I'd go after him with vigour, although I suspect the Weagles will beat us to him.

I wonder if Bondy has any good relationships with any of the old bulldogs that are due to retire? Jonno? Eagleton?

Simon Black and Brett Kirk would be good?

You say things like that and somebody just has to lob a handgrenade in ........ Aker :eek:.

Seriously I think from Comments in the media Matty Lloyd has certainly made it clear he would be receptive to a move to join his brothers at Freo.

Prescott as a coach I have heard good things about, not sure if he wants to wait for a senior gig or not though.

Also not forgetting Solly has been helping out since he retired and he is off to the GC.

You say things like that and somebody just has to lob a handgrenade in ........ Aker :eek:.

Seriously I think from Comments in the media Matty Lloyd has certainly made it clear he would be receptive to a move to join his brothers at Freo.

Prescott as a coach I have heard good things about, not sure if he wants to wait for a senior gig or not though.

Also not forgetting Solly has been helping out since he retired and he is off to the GC.

Yeah, its a shame Solly's leaving. He would've been a good replacement for Walllis.

I don't think Prescott is suitable as a head coach but he's a bloody good assistant and from what I've heard, he hasn't been putting his hat in too many rings for a top job so maybe he realises that he's more suited to an assistant role. Or maybe he's just loyal to Knights? Either way, I can't see us getting him.

If you want a hand grenade, what about Jackovich :eek:

Seriously though, another couple of candidates would have to be McManus and Webster. I believe they're both very part time atm and one of them may step up?

Solly going a great job as a development coach in dockers academy - for 1st,
2nd & 3rd yr players run by Simon Lloyd.

The academy has fast tracked most of our youngsters this year.

we need the academy to continue to fast track our youngsters which means we need the right development coaches.

Chris Scott will be at freo next year if he doesn't win a gig at port.

Remove this Banner Ad

New Assistant Coach Required

Remove this Banner Ad

Back