New Brisbane Stadium (2032 Olympics)

Remove this Banner Ad

I believe that all sporting codes should contribute to the building of new stadiums irrespective of what stadium it is and what purpose

How about some retrospective payments to balance the books a little ?

$1.6 billion will build a hell of a lot of good permanent stadium.

Then build it a Victoria park then if that is the case but I doubt it.
If they could duplicate Perth stadium for the cost that would be excellent but I doubt it.

I have previously stated that nobody is going to be looking at the stadium architecture during the Games.

One feature of the Perth Stadium is that you cannot miss it. it's in a prominent position and a great advertising icon.
I imagine Victoria Park would be similar.

Sydney has had an ambiguous relationship with its Olympic Stadium at Homebush over the last 25 years since its completion.

Exactly my point. Sydney cheaped out and didn't produce an effective after Olympic design.
If a stadium in the the style of Perth Stadium had been substituted for Sydney Olympic stadium
then the Olympic Stadium would be in continuous use.
Perth Stadium is actually better viewing for the rectangular codes than Olympic Stadium.

Yet it was supposed to be the centre-piece of the Sydney Games and rival the MCG after.

Yes, and those people who lauded it's design must have egg on their face or a wicked sense of humour.

The Sydney Olympic Stadium could have been used a lot lot more with one simple (and cheaper) change.
The huge centre section should have been incorporated into the build with only the small lower section moveable.
This is how it's done in other stadiums.

It was the friendliness and helpfulness of its volunteers and citizens, and how the whole city embraced the Games. It was the organisation of the Games itself and the way that the athletes, officials and media were accommodated and made to feel welcome.

Maybe, but those memories don't pay like regular use of the stadium.
To get maximum return on a stadium build you have to build a stadium with significant capacity, significant corporate facilities and has great viewing lines and can cater for all sports, concerts and events.
It helps if it has build has appeal and it's in a prominent position serviced by transport infrastructure.
That ALL comes at a price and if you cheap out you're destined to torpedo the whole project

only way to ensure the 'state govt footing the bill, so lets add 30-50% to the cost tax" isnt applied is to have the private sector build and majority owner at 51%, for a period of 30 years, with the state providing their 49% construction costs as financing payments during the construction. i think perth stadium was like that although it was 49/51, i think it was 40/60

Remove this Banner Ad

New Brisbane Stadium (2032 Olympics)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back