• Andrew Brayshaw

Votes: 84 35.7%
  • Alex Pearce

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Other

Votes: 7 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Be careful what you wish for, Tony saying his piece is a bit different to the average poster saying their piece on here
Yeh, no I get that - I just hate the whole edgelord "you can't handle my views" approach to a literal message board. Either post them and deal with the responses or just don't if the post isn't appropriate for the thread.

This is super interesting - directly contradicts the messaging that Fyfe was pushed. Eliza seems to be making a pretty good fist of challenging Ryan Daniels for premier up and coming journo in the west so I'd be surprised if she ran with that line if she wasn't confident.

Exactly - I didn't want to make too much of it due to the few outright haters here but thought it was good to point out that she led with it and focussed on it to start the article.

Bell said all 3 players all got votes from every single member of the playing group, coaches & anyone else who got a say & that Pearce was the unanimous choice for Captain.

It doesn't change your overall point, but I think Bell said that each of Pearce, Brayshaw and Serong received votes from every eligible voter and so it was unanimous that they were the top 3 leaders at the club. But that's quite a different point to "Pearce was the unanimous choice for Captain".

Bigger's poetic words on our new captain deserve a re-see for those who haven't:

"Nah, Moose is all good now. Sure, he can't feel anything below his knee but he's all good and no-one looks quite as majestic pointing the way. He should always have a carcass around to put one boot up on, as he stares into the horizon, wind blowing the luscious locks. The smell of blood and fear filtered through his moustaches; God and the spirits of his Tassie Palawa ancestors on his side.

He should be the captain."

Hail, mighty moose!

Yeh, no I get that - I just hate the whole edgelord "you can't handle my views" approach to a literal message board. Either post them and deal with the responses or just don't if the post isn't appropriate for the thread.

I’m taking a more diplomatic attitude towards life these days right up until we are 3 goals down in the first quarter of round 1

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Perfect choice - there's a reason Moose was a fixture in the leadership group even when he was battling to get on the park.

Andy and Caleb get joint recognition as leaders and standard setters for the playing group, but plenty of time to continue their development as well.
I wont deny Alex Pearce is a good player for us.

But Captain? Hmm, well its been a while since a key defender or any general player in the back 6 has been captain at any club.

My only concern about Alex Pearce in the last few years was his body. He did Miss out the whole 2017 and 2020 seasons with injury. He only played 10 games in 2021. Freo played 24 games last season. Alex Pearce played 21 out of a possible 24 games in 2022.

So I hope he plays a bare minimum of 20 games in 2023. The bloke is one of our key players.

The bloke is 27 years old, turns 28 in june this year. I think he is gonna have a solid 3 or 4 years as captain.

I preferably would of Handed it to Brayshaw for a couple of seasons.

But Captain? Hmm, well its been a while since a key defender or any general player in the back 6 has been captain at any club.

My only concern about Alex Pearce in the last few years was his body. He did Miss out the whole 2017 and 2020 seasons with injury. He only played 10 games in 2021. Freo played 24 games last season. Alex Pearce played 21 out of a possible 24 games in 2022.

So I hope he plays a bare minimum of 20 games in 2023. The bloke is one of our key players.

The bloke is 27 years old, turns 28 in june this year. I think he is gonna have a solid 3 or 4 years as captain.

Sicily is captain at Hawthorn... Awkward

Brayshaw just ain't ready. Give him time to develop on his game and mature in the leadership group.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plus Tom Jonas, Darcy Moore, Phil Davis all now or in very recent times.
Darcy Moore, Like sicily was appointed captain this season.

Tom Jonas has been a solid player. Been captain of Port since 2019. He at least played 121 games from 2011-18 before he got the captaincy.

Phil Davis? Played 18 games for the crows from 2009-2011. Becomes co captain with callan ward from 2012-19. Doesnt seem right to me appointing a leader that played only 18 games in 3 years with a previous club. Ward at least was an Established player at the Dogs. Played 60 games in 4 seasons at the Dogs before he was co captain at GWS in 2012-19.

Darcy Moore, Like sicily was appointed captain this season.

Tom Jonas has been a solid player. Been captain of Port since 2019. He at least played 121 games from 2011-18 before he got the captaincy.

Phil Davis? Played 18 games for the crows from 2009-2011. Becomes co captain with callan ward from 2012-19. Doesnt seem right to me appointing a leader that played only 18 games in 3 years with a previous club. Ward at least was an Established player at the Dogs. Played 60 games in 4 seasons at the Dogs before he was co captain at GWS in 2012-19.
Players are captains 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, not just 90-100 minutes on game day. Theres a lot more responsibilities to being captain than tossing the coin & perhaps the players felt that Brayshaw & Serong weren’t ready for that full time responsibility just yet as young men still developing their game.

Shannon Hurn, Luke Hodge, Darren Glass, John Worsfold ...............all defenders - not sure it makes a lot of difference where they play.

Freo' got this 100% right.

Pearce is the best choice for captain. Maybe in line for something huge and unique.

Pearce's history and time with the club is evidence of the choice being correct IMHO.

The vice captains also paves the way for the replacement captain or captains.

I preferably would have Handed it to Brayshaw for a couple of seasons.
How can you say your concern is his body you’d prefer AB.
If he gets injured AB will be captain so you have nothing to worry about.

How can you say your concern is his body you’d prefer AB.
If he gets injured AB will be captain so you have nothing to worry about.
Again.... Alex Pearce did miss the 2017 and 2020 season with injury. He only played 10 games in 2021.

Pearce did play 21 games out of 24 in 2022. So I assumed his body is fine and his injury issues are gone.

Still remember when David Mundy was captain for a year in 2017. He had a poor year.

Mundy bounced back in 2018 with a solid year.

Alex Pearce could be a solid captain for 2023 and beyond.

But like everyone on here. I want Alex Pearce to play every game in 2023 or at worst 20 games in 2023.

I think Alex Pearce will be a good captain for the next 2-3 years.

But I preferred Brayshaw. Just my opinion.

Remove this Banner Ad

News New Captain for 2023 - Alex Pearce

Back