New Captain?!?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd like Maxwell to be our next captain. Angry man and an inspirational leader.

I was concerned he may not be in out best 22 down the track however I now believe he will always deserve a spot.

Has to be maxwell or Shaw, Maxwell stood up and showed that while not as skillful he has leadership and that's why collingwood picked him up in the first place.
Shaw is also a leader, has been from his under 16 days. Has it in his blood and it'll make him a better player.

I don't want to see Co-Captains, it's something that Collingwood should never do, it'll take away the honour from blokes like Rose, Shaw's, Collier.

i can see maxwell. he is so devoted to everything a teams about. all the 1%'s and corageous things that lift the whole team up another level. But is he good enough? he is a pretty consistant player, not fantastic but then again easily makes the best 22. Perhaps tarks. He just looked a treat this year, and i think he captined most of the games anyway.

its line ball, but i am certian heata will captian the future, so they might get him in there asap,

burns, should have been captain a long time ago, but after burns id say maxwell, cause heater needs a few more yrs

dane swan. 3rd time lucky maybe someone will bite the cherry and tell me what they think of swanny as skipper. gets all around the ground. kicks vital goals. Is now respected by both collingwood and opposition teams.

dane swan. 3rd time lucky maybe someone will bite the cherry and tell me what they think of swanny as skipper. gets all around the ground. kicks vital goals. Is now respected by both collingwood and opposition teams.

I really like Dane so don't get me wrong... (and this will sound a bit weird) but he used to date the sister of one of my partners best friends. Met him once and he was either not the sharpest tool or simply didn't have very strong communication skills.

This was a few years ago now though before he even debuted so he may have more confidence now. Back then though I didn't think much of him as a leader.

I would love too see Maxy as Captain more than anyone else in the team but I don't see it happening

I forgot about Shaw's ADD and whether it could play a factor

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 obvious choices for me -

Lockyer - Great comeback from knee reco, has been a great servant of the club, had a stellar season, and deserves his chance to lead this great footy club.
Maxwell - Great leader in the backline, always puts his body on the line and can be inspirational. Great clubman.

Agreed, Tarkyn future Copeland winner (2007 :thumbsu:) and future captain (2009 - after Bucks retires after holding up the 2008 premiership cup!!!)

I really like Dane so don't get me wrong... (and this will sound a bit weird) but he used to date the sister of one of my partners best friends. Met him once and he was either not the sharpest tool or simply didn't have very strong communication skills.

This was a few years ago now though before he even debuted so he may have more confidence now. Back then though I didn't think much of him as a leader.

To add to that Swanny's attitide problems and off field behaviour nearly cost him his career before he was a regular fixture in our best 22 dunno if he sets the example a captain should off the field

Every time leadership is discussed Josh gets thrown up. When does he show leadership? He interviewed well at 18 and was proclaimed a future captain. Josh Fraser is average at his position, weak in the air for a big man, injured and inconsistent. AT his best he is good around the ground but shows little in the way of leadership on the park. That is enough to rule him out but he PULLED OUT of the leadership group this year and that should take him off the table.

Heath Shaw has future leadership credentials. In the mean time we are struggling. Maxwell is one often thrown up. For my money he is a handy and versatile footballer but he doesn’t have a position that he is clearly best at in the starting 18.

I don’t know who should be captain next year but if Josh Fraser is the man I will very be worried about our on field leadership. I would rather Ben Johnson and he is not as consistent as I would like from a captain. At least he leads on the field and I frankly don’t mind the fact he fights (literally) for his club and his team mates.

If Buckley retires and Burns goes on I would appoint Burns for a year and make Heath Shaw vice captain with a view that if all goes well Heath Shaw takes over. If Buckley stays then I’d leave it up to him. Based on last year comments he’d likely resign the captaincy in which case give it Burns.

On SEN this morning they were speaking to some bloke from the Geelong Falcons about both Maxwell and Bartell. They were asking him whether Maxwell would make a good captain and he said that he thought he had the character to be a great captain. Said that as a kid he worked at KFC and saved his money to buy a magna worth $18k in cash. That is pretty amazing for a kid to be so focused on a goal.

If Buckley plays on, he should be captain. If he doesn't, I don't think there's an obvious candidate. Personally, I don't think Maxwell's a good enough player. I suppose Burns could be a short-term captain, but for mine, he doesn't spend enough time out on the ground these days.

I think in the absence of an outstanding candidate, we might see co-captains. Maybe Maxwell, Burns, and Heater. Obviously, it's not anyone's preferred option. But I think it's a pragmatic short-term fix for a season or two until Shaw, Pendlebury, or Cloke are ready to be captain in their own right.

Nick Maxwell. He would be a similar captain to Gavin Brown.

Maxy will be onbe hell of alot more angry, Rowdy was courageous and tough bloody tough but never had the anger maxy shopws on the field.

Still maxy for captain plays fair, plays hard, and plays ****en angry. In the words of zoidberg "Such a man! I would follow him to hell and back i would"

Remove this Banner Ad

New Captain?!?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back