New Captain?!?

Remove this Banner Ad

If Buckley plays on, he should be captain. If he doesn't, I don't think there's an obvious candidate. Personally, I don't think Maxwell's a good enough player. I suppose Burns could be a short-term captain, but for mine, he doesn't spend enough time out on the ground these days.

I think in the absence of an outstanding candidate, we might see co-captains. Maybe Maxwell, Burns, and Heater. Obviously, it's not anyone's preferred option. But I think it's a pragmatic short-term fix for a season or two until Shaw, Pendlebury, or Cloke are ready to be captain in their own right.

Please god no co-captains all this shows is a lack of decision making from the coaching staff....Mick is not shy on decision making....Collingwood Football Club will need a captain not a committee when Buckley decides his time is up.

If I had to pick a captain for 2008 I would say Maxwell.

If Buckley plays he will be captain as it would be stupid to have such a great leader in the side not leading - it is not in Buckleys nature to sit back and concentrate on himself. Therefore we would not need a new captain until 2009 when Buckley would have to retire. By then Heath may be ready.

Please god no co-captains all this shows is a lack of decision making from the coaching staff....Mick is not shy on decision making....Collingwood Football Club will need a captain not a committee when Buckley decides his time is up.

Like I said, it's a last resort. However, I think it ought to be considered. I'm not enthusiastic about Maxwell as captain. The players I think have leadership potential and sufficient quality for the captaincy are all too young for the job IMO. Until they're a bit more seasoned, I don't think co-captaincy would be such a bad option.

The sky's not gonna fall on anyone's head if we go the co-captaincy path for a couple of years. Plenty of clubs have done it and haven't suffered any ill-effects.

Clarke:D
but in all seriousness ... id like to see heater get it, his shown some leadership qualities on the field. Him or Spiderswan or Lockyer.

I firstly liked the idea of maxwell being captain, but then i heard the idea of burnsy being captain. Sounds like a wonderful idea to send him off. he would get the recognition he deserves. Then we should elect maxwell as captain in '09.

Seems like outsiders are getting into this debate as well. I found it in Inside Football this week.

I tried to attach it a few times with no luck so I have just typed out what it said.

Three Things We Learnt This Week:

Michael Turner:

-Mick Malthouse did a sensational job to get the Pies within a kick of the Grand Final

-Nick Maxwell ahould be groomed as the next Collingwood Captain

They were the two relevent sentences about the pies, I didnt want to add the one about Geelong lol!!!

And also this was in the Hearlad Sun, I'm not sure if anyone had already mentioned it, but I thought I would add it as well.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,22476060%5E19763,00.html

I just thought it was intresting that others are thinking the same as many of us.

please not maxwell...sure his tough as nails and puts his body on the line for the boys but haven't we learnt our lesson from hawthorn???

He will be the new Richie Vandenberg if he's our captain, tough but lacking skill

IMO a captain needs to be in your top 5 players..maxwell is not in our top 10

I say make Heater the skipper...he is courageous and is a top line player!! obvious choice

IMO Fraser doesn't look like a leader, he just seems a little bit more of a follower. Maxwell on the other hand, in the same vein as Heater, would be great captains.

Lets just get one thing straight here gentlemen.
HEATH SHAW WILL CAPTAIN THE COLLINGWOOD FOOTBALL CLUB,

maybe not next year, maybe not in 5 years, but mark my words he will

please not maxwell...sure his tough as nails and puts his body on the line for the boys but haven't we learnt our lesson from hawthorn???

He will be the new Richie Vandenberg if he's our captain, tough but lacking skill

IMO a captain needs to be in your top 5 players..maxwell is not in our top 10

I say make Heater the skipper...he is courageous and is a top line player!! obvious choice

tom harley isn't in the cats best 5 players, and would probably strugle to make their top 10 in relation to skill, yet his a premiership captain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tom harley isn't in the cats best 5 players, and would probably strugle to make their top 10 in relation to skill, yet his a premiership captain.

I've always questioned what that even means??

so what if he is a premiership captain...does that mean he is a better captain then say Buckley who has not won a premiership?? I think not

IMO premierships should never be used to evaluate a single player, they are a reflection of a great team, not a great player

Isn't that because he has ADD?

I'd like to see him as captain some day.

If Buckley plays on - he will be Captain

If Buckley retires Didak Captain (has a great ring to it)

If Buckley retires and Didak leaves... I will not be happy.

Burns, Lockyer, Swan, Johnson (leadership group) -Burns will be Captain for next year... Then Chris Judd will take the Helm

Buckley will retain the captaincy as their is another year in the champ yet!
If we get Judd he would have to be considered the next year, otherwise I am on the Heath Shaw bandwagon, just has to curb his frustrations when he loses a contest (which doesnt happen frequently).
Maxwell wouldnt be a bad choice but in my opinion Bucks will continue to lead the great club that is the Collingwood Football Club.

Buckley will retain the captaincy as their is another year in the champ yet!
If we get Judd he would have to be considered the next year, otherwise I am on the Heath Shaw bandwagon, just has to curb his frustrations when he loses a contest (which doesnt happen frequently).
Maxwell wouldnt be a bad choice but in my opinion Bucks will continue to lead the great club that is the Collingwood Football Club.

Just wanted to know why you think Maxwell would be a bad choice? Just curious about your answer thats all.

Remove this Banner Ad

New Captain?!?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back