NEW COACH= New Game Plan

Remove this Banner Ad

Cats had Ablett, Bartel, Ling, Enright, Scarlett, Milburn, Chapman, Rooke, Corey, Selwood, Harry Taylor, Ottens, Stevie J etc.

Cannot even begin to compare them with our current team sorry to tell you.......:eek:

Their 07 season could have gone any way.

Sure, lets all call the season over because the Dogs lost the first game of the year under a new bench rule and some tactics that obviously didnt work

One thing i notice with Eade if we put in a bad performance he rarely drop's a big name player or he take's player's into the game not match fit.Hawthorn droped Sewell last year,Hodge didn't play because he had no match fittness.Ling ,Chapman didn't play and they still had a great win it must have been temping to put Chapman in, maybe this is why they have been so succesful in years,no one get's a game on name alone and past achievements.Think Eade could do the same.

What an interesrting and long read some of these post are. You blokes take yourselves much too serious and have a pretty high opinion of yourselves and your knowledge of the game. it's simple the bombers played great and we played shit, do agree with the need for a second ruckman who can go forward, but the rest is ramblings of the void

We were outcoached and outplayed. If we don't improve something has to change. This bombing the ball all day was infuriating.

Instead of extending the contracts of players like Stack, Addison and Milligan we could have drafted players like Michael Barlow, Robin Nahas, Jeff Garlett or James Podsiadly. The side then becomes vastly different, wins more matches, Cooney doesn't get a strain injury and we win a premiership.

So Cooney got injured and we subsequently didn't win the Premiership because we extended Dylan Addisons contract??? And if Eade was a good coach we would have the great Robin Nahas a midget forward who averages exactly 1 goal a game?? :eek:

Eade has extended the contract for Hooper for another 2 years, yet 90% of the fans here could see quite clearly after his finals match that he wasn't going to make it. Lost opportunities like this cost us premierships.

You're writing Hooper off, based on his debut game in a final? That's all it takes to write him off, 1 game in an extremely pressure filled situation for a debutant? And while he didn't go great guns, he doesn't kick that goal we would not have won that game

He was lucky in 1996 to be in demand by several clubs and he took the Sydney Job. He took over from Barassi. Look at the players he had, Lockett, Kelly, O'Loughlin, Cresswell, Grant, Dunkley, Roos and others. They finished top of the table in 1996 but couldn't win the premiership against North Melbourne. So, is it, "In his first year of coaching he took Sydney to a Grand Final", or is it, "In his first year of coaching he was given a dream team and screwed it up."

This is laughable. This "dream team" that he screwed up won 8 games the season before under the great Barassi. But Eade taking them to a Grandfinal loss against possibly the most powerful team of the 90's was a screw up???

I used to watch Eade coach Sydney, his histrionics in the coaching box were pittiful and indeed at one stage he had to be censured by the police for the foul language sprouting from his coaches box. I thought, this man is not intelligent.

Rodney Eade's an unintelligent man is he?? Its one thing to have an opinion, but to claim that he is not intelligent complete shoots you're credibility to shreds

He was lucky to meet and marry a Footscray girl, Wendy a Bulldog through and through.

So just to clarify,meeting his wife who happened to be a Bulldog fan was a stroke of luck that has helped him land his current job??? :eek: I find it hypocritical in the extreme for you to question his intelligence in light of some of the absolute dribble you've come up with

You've basically said that Eade is an unintelligent man who has got where he is because he knew a few people and has been lucky and I think that is an extremely naive, uninformed, disrespectful and laughable opinion

Flooding and Rodney Eade.

It was according to the press, in Sydney where Eade invented flooding, a tactic that became a blight on the game, used to choke attacking sides and minimise the damage a side could do to you on the scoreboard.

What really happened:
All that the Swans were doing on their small Sydney ground was pushing one line back in order to open their forward line to the likes of Lockett and co. This was not innovative by any means, but it got attached to Eade with the 'flooding' tag by the press. Pagan's paddock was a similar tactic.

When was the last big surprise:
When Terry Wallace pulled the super flood on Essendon. Now that was flooding.

Flooding and Rodney Eade.

It was according to the press, in Sydney where Eade invented flooding, a tactic that became a blight on the game, used to choke attacking sides and minimise the damage a side could do to you on the scoreboard.

What really happened:
All that the Swans were doing on their small Sydney ground was pushing one line back in order to open their forward line to the likes of Lockett and co. This was not innovative by any means, but it got attached to Eade with the 'flooding' tag by the press. Pagan's paddock was a similar tactic.

When was the last big surprise:
When Terry Wallace pulled the super flood on Essendon. Now that was flooding.

Sorry James but your views on Eade have reached the stage where they are no longer objective. He deserves to be judged on performance but your hatred for him is a little disturbing. Is there more to this tale? Were you once a jilted lover of his? Did he refuse to have his photo taken with you at a family day? Have you sought any counselling?

What do you know about football. How many games did you play at AFL level? I certainly know very little about tacticsd but I can recognize crap when its written.

For gods sake, saying we don't have a game plan and that nothing has changed is just ignorant.

Running game in the 70's give me a break, players were scared to move from their set positions in the 70's and the flood is an Eade idea my friend, well known by all in footy circles, not a Sheedy idea.

ROUND ONE not ROUND 22 was played yesterday.

I very disappointed that you did not read either post, if you bothered to read them you will note
a) I never said we didn't have a game plan, just one that did not work with the current styles of St. Kilda & Collingwood
b) You are obviously very young & believe what you read in the papers
i.e. Sheedy used to flood at Windy Hill ( when he was hit by injuries) this is a fact!!!!
c) As far as the running game is concerned have a look at the 1977 grand final replay!!!!!

I do agree with one thing you said however "you know very little about tactics"

So Cooney got injured and we subsequently didn't win the Premiership because we extended Dylan Addisons contract??? And if Eade was a good coach we would have the great Robin Nahas a midget forward who averages exactly 1 goal a game?? :eek:

You're writing Hooper off, based on his debut game in a final? That's all it takes to write him off, 1 game in an extremely pressure filled situation for a debutant? And while he didn't go great guns, he doesn't kick that goal we would not have won that game

This is laughable. This "dream team" that he screwed up won 8 games the season before under the great Barassi. But Eade taking them to a Grandfinal loss against possibly the most powerful team of the 90's was a screw up???

Rodney Eade's an unintelligent man is he?? Its one thing to have an opinion, but to claim that he is not intelligent complete shoots you're credibility to shreds

So just to clarify,meeting his wife who happened to be a Bulldog fan was a stroke of luck that has helped him land his current job??? :eek: I find it hypocritical in the extreme for you to question his intelligence in light of some of the absolute dribble you've come up with

You've basically said that Eade is an unintelligent man who has got where he is because he knew a few people and has been lucky and I think that is an extremely naive, uninformed, disrespectful and laughable opinion

You have missed the point. Making the correct decisions early creates opportunities and your circumstances can change markedly. Not making the correct decisions loses you opportunities. I am talking about at the selection table and with personnel. I gave you a few examples only and you chose to peacock them.

You chose to pick on the Cooney injury and Nahas examples. By making the correct decisions our team becomes stronger and wins more games. Therefore matches become completely different and Cooney doesn't have to over-stretch and strain himself.

With regards to Nahas, I'm not an apologist for him but please consider that we recently traded for Justin Sherman, now have a look at his stats and compare them with Nahas. Who has the better stats - Nahas has the better goal kicking average. Nothing wrong with short people if they can play. Lots of good short people around. I'd trade half a dozen of our players for Brent Harvey.

For further example, when he was at Sydney he was advised repeatedly to play Tadgh Kennelly but he refused and it was not until a long time down the track that he got a game from being an emergency. Kennelly was an instant success.

Another example for you. It was painfully obvious that at the end of 2009 Brad Johnson and Akermanis had to retire. Johnson was hobbling around like an old man and Akermanis no longer had his engine. Eade should have retired both of them and maybe even Eagleton too. None of those players really contributed much in the finals or the season proper. A good coach would have retired them.

Where would we be now with 3 new players each with 24 games under their belt. The scenario for the club becomes completely different.

Here is another example:
At the selection table last year Eade kept on selecting Eagleton although everybody knew that he was out of form and needed a spell in the reserves. At the same time we have hopefuls in the reserves looking for a spot in the seniors. I can only imagine what (for example) Everitt would have thought and how it may have influenced his actions and mindset and what detrimental effect it had on the club as a whole.

I gave the example of Hooper being given a two-year contract. This is just one player out of many. Hooper never really showed anything much whilst at Williamstown. He never showed anything much in the final. I can see nothing in him that would suggest that he has any elite or above average skills that will turn him into an A grade or B grade player. Eade should also have made this judgement and delisted him, not to give him a two-year contract. You have to keep turning over the C graders, its a no-brainer, otherwise you lose opportunities. You lose premierships. Collingwood fans tell me that they turned over their dud players quickly with Malthouse and that helped them win a premiership.

I'll repeat the bit about Sydney but in different words. In his first year at Sydney Eade inherited a side that after a poor start got to the top of the ladder. Generally you would expect such a team to win the GF, but it didn't and basically it went downhill from there until the situation got so desperate that Eade had to resign. The administration at the time that included Richard Colless and Kelvin Templeton had the opinion that the side under-performed and this was due to Eade's coaching. This might be ancient history now, but you have to ask the question, "Is history repeating itself".

Eade was lucky to meet Wendy, 'cause she is a great Bulldogs supporter. But consider that Eade was being interviewed for a coaching position by Collingwood, Richmond, Hawthorn and Adelaide at the same time that he was being considered by the Bulldogs. It may have been more family harmonious for Rocket to favourably consider the Bulldogs rather than the other clubs, particularly in view of the stresses that the family suffered in Sydney.

Here is some more info for you - from David Smorgon. Ricky Nixon, Eade's manager advised the coach selection committee not to appoint Eade as coach of the Bulldogs, so too did Gordon Collis - Sydney's president.

Please forgive me for the following, but if you are going to print stuff like that which I have quoted below, you should have your grammar and spelling right.
"Its one thing to have an opinion, but to claim that he is not intelligent complete shoots you're credibility to shreds"[unquote]

Sorry James but your views on Eade have reached the stage where they are no longer objective. He deserves to be judged on performance but your hatred for him is a little disturbing. Is there more to this tale? Were you once a jilted lover of his? Did he refuse to have his photo taken with you at a family day? Have you sought any counselling?

He he he he he he he. I liked your post. That last part was very funny.

I don't hate Rodney Eade at all, how could anybody hate him. He is such a likable guy with a lovely smile. I agree that he deserves to be judged on his performance, I hope that's what I am doing. He is just a poor coach that's all.

All that information above regarding Flooding came from Damien Drum who was Eade's assistant whilst in Sydney.

Anyone who thinks that people calling for a new coach are making emotional judgements because we've lost one game, think again. Mostly these are the same people that have been saying this for 3 or 4 years.

Somewhere along the line the buck has to stop with the coach. Eade has a track record of not being able to motivate our team to go out and play like every game was their last. One other poster said that he never drops senior players after a big loss - well surprise surprise, some of our big names go missing every few games - BECAUSE THEY HAVE NO FEAR OF BEING DROPPED!

On top of this as others have mentioned the game plan seems about three years behind the rest of the pack. The long bombs out of the backline towards the boundary yesterday were more like 80s and 90s footy than 2011. The difference in gameplan was startingly obvious yesterday. The bombers won the hard ball after 1/4 time, but it was what they did with it that made them so dangerous. Generally they kicked short out of a pack to players 20-25m away. This freed up space and allowed their on-ballers to run past and stream into the forward line. Our option after winning the ball was to generally kick long and high into the forward line.

At selection the coaching staff made a monumental error in not playing two ruckmen. Yes, they admitted to this mistake however it doesn't take 17 assistant coaches to work this one out, especially when the opposition had two ruckmen who have done very well against us in the past.

The stupid thing is that we will probably go out and win the next two games and go to the bye 2-1 and everyone will be happy again and talking about how good we are...

I'll repeat the bit about Sydney but in different words. In his first year at Sydney Eade inherited a side that after a poor start got to the top of the ladder. Generally you would expect such a team to win the GF,

In 1995 Sydney had all of Lockett, Roos, Dunkley, Kelly, Cresswell and Lewis and won 8 games. All of those players played at least 18 games in 1995. In 1996 Eade took them to a grand final. Does none of the credit for that leap go to Eade?

There is also no way should Sydney have been expected to win that grand final against a team that had made three straight preliminary finals. You are entitled to your opinion and things did go downhill after 1996 but Eade did very well with that side in 1996. North Melbourne had a much better side then Sydney.

I very disappointed that you did not read either post, if you bothered to read them you will note
a) I never said we didn't have a game plan, just one that did not work with the current styles of St. Kilda & Collingwood
b) You are obviously very young & believe what you read in the papers
i.e. Sheedy used to flood at Windy Hill ( when he was hit by injuries) this is a fact!!!! Thats RUBBISH, not one person has ever attributed the flood to Sheedy
c) As far as the running game is concerned have a look at the 1977 grand final replay!!!!! MORE Rubbish, the 70's your joking.

I do agree with one thing you said however "you know very little about tactics" IN A COACHING SENSE- DON"T TWIST BY WORDS

Maybe one of the reasons we can't beat the Saints and Collingwood is that we don't have the cattle. You can't say we don't have a game plan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He he he he he he he. I liked your post. That last part was very funny.

I don't hate Rodney Eade at all, how could anybody hate him. He is such a likable guy with a lovely smile. I agree that he deserves to be judged on his performance, I hope that's what I am doing. He is just a poor coach that's all.

All that information above regarding Flooding came from Damien Drum who was Eade's assistant whilst in Sydney.

Every chance you get you bag the coach, grow up

Maybe one of the reasons we can't beat the Saints and Collingwood is that we don't have the cattle.

We have a good side but we haven't been pro-active with our list management. Game plans are changed each year and Eade doesn't have a problem developing effective ones.

Bring Scott West back to coach the mids!

That'd be real handy. Lets teach some more players to pick up a million posessions and then dont hurt the opposition with crap disposal.

Cross and Boyd do that now .... lets not make any more clones of Westy.

Yep, great possession getters but too slow and cant kick!!!

Eade came to our club when it was completely lacking in key position forward options, it was lacking in players wililng to consider themselves worthy of playing seniors and he managed to get them to believe they were talented enough to mix it with the better teams in the competition.

Throughout this time, still lacking the key forwards, the team developed one of the most complex ball movement strategies and forward patterns I've seen, enabling it to become one of the most dangerous attacking teams in the competition. On the side, he also developed what is regarded to this point in time, one of the best defences (back six) going around.

It takes a lot of coaching talent and nouse to do that, not luck.

I agree that last year, through losing players to age, injury and form we lacked the unpredictable forward movement we've benefited from in the past. It's a challenge for Eade to see if we can regain that, and Eade has to show that he is capable of turning a fairly fresh list (remember, 9 players played yesterday that didn't play in the 2010 prelim) into a team that can balance defense with attack, while getting the most out of a mature and capable midfield.

Our players need to stand up and take some responsibility for their actions. I don't think Eade would have been happy with the midfields unwillingness to stand defensive side of an opponent at stoppages, and I'm sure he's as disgusted as I am with the likes of Cross, Boyd, Cooney and Griffen showing their much younger and quicker opponents no respect throughout the entire game.

A new coach would come in with fresh ideas, no doubt, but it doesn't mean those fresh ideas would be better placed to get a higher level of performance out of our current list.

We have a good side but we haven't been pro-active with our list management. Game plans are changed each year and Eade doesn't have a problem developing effective ones.

I agree, this has been a issue over the past couple of years. However, I think we recruited well this year, but need to manage the list going forward as there are a number of players hitting or over 30.

Maybe one of the reasons we can't beat the Saints and Collingwood is that we don't have the cattle. You can't say we don't have a game plan.

There you go reading the papers again,

I am not going to argue with you, seeing is believing

1) Sheedy did start the flood prior to Eade, I saw it in 87 & 88 , when he had a lot of injuries, (particularly at Windy Hill) - you may be too young to remember ( they never made the finals in either year)

2) You obviously have not seen 1977 Grand Final repay, maybe for the
same reason as No:1

3) Not twisting your words:- just quoting you

May pay to get some of these games & watch them to enable you
to make an informed opinion.

Cheers

There you go reading the papers again,

I am not going to argue with you, seeing is believing

1) Sheedy did start the flood prior to Eade, I saw it in 87 & 88 , when he had a lot of injuries, (particularly at Windy Hill) - you may be too young to remember ( they never made the finals in either year)

2) You obviously have not seen 1977 Grand Final repay, maybe for the
same reason as No:1

3) Not twisting your words:- just quoting you

May pay to get some of these games & watch them to enable you
to make an informed opinion.

Cheers

Was Sheedy's flood as structured as Eade's of 1996? Did he spend a whole pre-season implementing it, or was it a throw away tactic brought into play through desperation?

If you can't give Eade some credit for the ball movement he implemented up to 2009 then you perhaps need to start heeding your own advice by really watching some games of football. The Bulldog's, mainly due to having smaller bodies and no key marking forwards of note had to implement a fast running and un-predictable game plan to score enough goals to compete. Don't underestimate the effort and strategy it took to get the team to where it was in the years leading up to that.

You chose to pick on the Cooney injury and Nahas examples. By making the correct decisions our team becomes stronger and wins more games. Therefore matches become completely different and Cooney doesn't have to over-stretch and strain himself.

This is crazy its such a stretch, You're basically blaming Eade for Cooney getting hurt, its ludicrous. What else is Eade guilty of? Maybe we draft Barlow he steps on Cooney's hand, he breaks his wrist :)

Another example for you. It was painfully obvious that at the end of 2009 Brad Johnson and Akermanis had to retire. Johnson was hobbling around like an old man and Akermanis no longer had his engine. Eade should have retired both of them and maybe even Eagleton too. None of those players really contributed much in the finals or the season proper. A good coach would have retired them.

IMO you're changing history here. Brad Johnson in 2009 got the most disposals he had got in a decade. He kicked 38 goals, came 4th in the Best and Fairest and kicked 2 of our 3 2nd half goals in a tight Prelim where we only kicked 7 for the night. There is not a coach in the land that would have retired him. You're saying these guys didn't contribute in the finals but in the Brissy final Eagleton got 30 touches and 3 goals. They were calculated risks and its extremely easy to bag them in hindsight

Here is another example:
At the selection table last year Eade kept on selecting Eagleton although everybody knew that he was out of form and needed a spell in the reserves. At the same time we have hopefuls in the reserves looking for a spot in the seniors. I can only imagine what (for example) Everitt would have thought and how it may have influenced his actions and mindset and what detrimental effect it had on the club as a whole.

Eagleton missed 9 games. He did play reserves

With regards to Nahas, I'm not an apologist for him but please consider that we recently traded for Justin Sherman, now have a look at his stats and compare them with Nahas. Who has the better stats - Nahas has the better goal kicking average.

Nahas playing much closer to goals kicked 1 more goal than Sherman and got a hundred less touches. What am I missing?? If Nahas considering the role he plays didn't kick more goals than Sherman he'd be in a lot of trouble

I'll repeat the bit about Sydney but in different words. In his first year at Sydney Eade inherited a side that after a poor start got to the top of the ladder. Generally you would expect such a team to win the GF, but it didn't and basically it went downhill from there until the situation got so desperate that Eade had to resign. The administration at the time that included Richard Colless and Kelvin Templeton had the opinion that the side under-performed and this was due to Eade's coaching. This might be ancient history now, but you have to ask the question, "Is history repeating itself".

He didn't inherit a side that "after a poor start got to the top of the ladder." He inherited a side that had won 8 games and got them to the top of the ladder and to the Grandfinal. The fact that you saw this as Eade screwing up shows to me you are completely incapable of even recognising when Eade has done well and can not look at him objectively. He takes a team that won 8 games under an all time great, gets them to the Grandfinal and all you can do is bag him about it

Saying he is not intelligent is not judging him by his performance. Its petty. Implying he's got where he is because of luck and who he knows is not judging him by his performance. Its petty. For some reason or another you seem to have a personal agenda against him. You have attempted to discredit basically everything he's done in footy. Even the flags he played in weren't worthy of your praise, but instead a snide remark.

For what its worth, if we don't seriously contend this year I think Eade should go. He should not be sacked after round 1 and regardless of what happens I'm not going to question his intelligence or bag him for the stuff he's done well.

Also PM me if you need help with quote formatting ;)

It's really ****ing easy to sit back complain, moan and whinge whenever the side puts in a bad performance.
It's a lot harder to suck up all the disappointment from a bad loss and stick by the team, the coaches and the descisions and plans that have been put in place.
Here's a tip: Bunker down this week, don't read the papers or watch any of the Footy shows this week and wait until next week when we've had a comfortable win over Brisbane. The sun wil be shining again and life will be good again.

Was Sheedy's flood as structured as Eade's of 1996? Did he spend a whole pre-season implementing it, or was it a throw away tactic brought into play through desperation?

If you can't give Eade some credit for the ball movement he implemented up to 2009 then you perhaps need to start heeding your own advice by really watching some games of football. The Bulldog's, mainly due to having smaller bodies and no key marking forwards of note had to implement a fast running and un-predictable game plan to score enough goals to compete. Don't underestimate the effort and strategy it took to get the team to where it was in the years leading up to that.

Hi Jeemak,

Firstly, I suggest you read my posts in relation to GAME PLAN. Secondly,
I'm not taking anything away from Eade in what he did in Sydney, or our running style from 2006 to 2008. Just pointing out that flooding & the running game was done prior to his coaching career.

It is now 2011 & the issue at hand is our game plan, whatever that is, cannot compete with the style played by Collingwood, St. Kilda & now Essendon have used it with great effect. Other teams are now attempting to use this style!!!

Do you know what our game plan is?

Cheers

Essendon with virtually the same personnel brutalised us today and should have won by more.
Remember this same team finished 14th last year!
Why is it so? Well before I answer the question, I will state the obvious:
Essendon have been well drilled in playing a similar style to St. Kilda & Collingwood
i.e. 1) more numbers on and around the ball
2) Gang tackling
3) Frontal pressure
(These three cause turnovers as we know & create scoring opportunities)
4) More numbers behind the ball to allow them to run & spread
If we are to compete & win on a regular basis in 2011 we must either have a game plan to combat this style of play or adopt a similar one. More teams in the competition are attempting to play this type of football.
I am of the firm belief that the playing personnel is good enough to play & beat anyone.
Eade is allegedly a very good coach, if this is the case, why were we belted today!!!!
The answer is simple GAME PLAN; Eade has not changed our style of play in the last four years, save and except for reducing our scoring options in 2010. The usual excuses of, we don’t want to peak too early, the team wasn’t fired up or we had players short of a run & injuries, are just rubbish. We just didn’t have a game plan to compete!!!!
This is not a knee-jerk reaction, it is an observation that has become a fact after watching us in 2007, 2008,2009 & last year, comments I have posted on big footy previously.
The simple answer is we NEED a NEW COACH

****, what's with all the odd fonts, it doesn't establish your argument.

Do you really think that the crap we saw on Sunday was Eade's game plan?

Where does the responsibility of the players fit in?

****, what's with all the odd fonts, it doesn't establish your argument.

Do you really think that the crap we saw on Sunday was Eade's game plan?

Where does the responsibility of the players fit in?

Hello Dry Rot,

Firstly, perhaps you better read it again, the fonts may have affected your vision.

Secondly, if you don't know where the players responsibility fits in you
better give it away!

Cheers

Remove this Banner Ad

NEW COACH= New Game Plan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back