News New Crows Logo

Remove this Banner Ad

Little tip: the amount of influence glorified social media managers have on presentation on entire AFL clubs is a joke. absolute no idea on the sport or graphic design as a process (I know nothing about this, I don't know what kerning is and feel impressive at work when I say what a serif is) but the amount of pull they have is an offense.

Some of the garish shit they get away with is insane. there needs to be a thread dedicated to social media presentations.

The AFL is really bad. lots of them look like bad AI. like an inch away from a Mr Beast screenshot.

****ing heinous when you see some of the tight, respectful, club appropriate stuff even a fourth division English club has.

Little tip: the amount of influence glorified social media managers have on presentation on entire AFL clubs is a joke. absolute no idea on the sport or graphic design as a process (I know nothing about this, I don't know what kerning is and feel impressive at work when I say what a serif is) but the amount of pull they have is an offense.

Some of the garish shit they get away with is insane. there needs to be a thread dedicated to social media presentations.

The AFL is really bad. lots of them look like bad AI. like an inch away from a Mr Beast screenshot.

****ing heinous when you see some of the tight, respectful, club appropriate stuff even a fourth division English club has.

Feel like the graphic designers at AFL clubs are like guitarists. the really technically great ones generally make absolutely shit end products.

Incredibly ignorant take, with zero understanding of how these things work internally, the lack of resourcing that exists and the expectations both internally and externally to deliver content that is fresh, engaging and different year on year, as well as staying aligned with modern industry trends.

I wanted to let this through to the keeper but damn.

I don't have a robust understanding of the industry - but my father in law is a commercial graphic designer and I've sat with him while he was in his study designing packages for horse feed, cleaning products and some other stuff while running me through his directives/what the clients didn't like etc.

And it seems the designers themselves are in a constant push and pull with their managers, who are in turn in a push and pull with the clientele... when it comes to a commercial product what usually eventuates is the safest possible option which the designers don't really have any of their heart in.

A company chooses a firm, the designers at the firm get a brief, they go off and design and pitch their work, either those are brought to the clients who select the direction they want to go in or the firm internally chooses which one to go with.
Anyone who's ever had to deal with corporate anything can guess how it goes getting bossed around by people who have no idea how your job works.

But... I don't know how this would go down in something like sports branding where it's kind of the point to stand out and be profound. It would be different even from the work of 'world leading' design firms like Pentagram, where again, you want something cutting edge but it still has to be easily digestible, something that can be at the bottom of an ad for anything etc.

But in sports logos, a field which you would expect demands the creative of individuality you can't help but wonder what creative juices are lost within the design firm process.
You look at sports logo history at the dawn of commercial sports brands and the best ever were often designed by the artist at the city's local newspaper - when it's someone's personal art it defines an epoch rather than being derivative of it, whereas the work of a firm often must be rebranded decade after decade and is the work of research and market trends. That is not to say there aren't good sports logos that come from the process of design firms because there obviously is, but yeah - I'd be much quicker to blame corporate meddling and the culture of design by committee for vanilla flop designs than the designers themselves.

Last edited:
I've seen the shite the Freo guy does and he was clearly hired to continue doing the same. which is shite that looks like a promo poster for a Marvel movie. it's all dashes, rings of fire, smoke. it just looks a bit... lame.

I'll also never tying in a 2003 jumper's rereleases with... a skateboarding theme? for a footy club? it was just a real hackneyed idea of the era. it had no relationship to that jumper design or the club at the time.

The guy has talent but he doesn't have taste. I know that's harsh but it really does look like a live action version of Yu-gi-oh or something.

It's not resourcing or whatever, it's just a matter of taste, and AFL clubs have nfi.

Remove this Banner Ad

News New Crows Logo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back