Votes: 28 22.4%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Daniel Cherny

@DanielCherny
·
10s

Andrew McQualter is the first former Gold Coast player to become an AFL senior coach.

Daniel Cherny
@DanielCherny
·
10s

Andrew McQualter is the first former Gold Coast player to become an AFL senior coach.

He'll know better than anyone what NOT to do. "Hmm Gold Coast would do X, so imma gonna do Y. Delightfully devilish Andy"

Premiership within 3 years. Bookmark it.

So Will Schofield was wrong - it wasn’t Steven King - how soon until he implies that the club was ‘spooked’ by King’s collapse and changed their mind?
Schofield repeatedly asserted that he had no inside information and it was merely a gut feel. Not quite sure why you're calling him out, he's been open and transparent.

Congrats Andrew Mcqualter... Welcome to the West... Onya Pykey... Not before time either...

Am happy we picked a coach that's impressionable... And actually wanted the job!

Now get after em in the draft/trade period.

MEGA

Did I overhear McQualters daughter ask as Pykey went up to the door, "daddy, is this the Santa that you said was giving mommy a swanky new house for Christmas and me a bedroom overlooking the Beach and all the ponies I could ever ride"?

Good luck to him as not going to be all smooth sailing, but feels like the right age demographic for what will shortly be kiddie central.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congratulations on getting Mini, guys. I was genuinely disappointed when we didn't select him as Richmond's coach. He has the exact manner you want as a modern day coach with an ability to inspire and relate to the players. He reminds me a lot of the current Collingwoobles coach but has the tactical nous fly is lacking. Mini look us to an even ledger of win/losses when he took over - something our current coach hasn't been able to achieve atm.

I wish him all the best. He's a great coach and I fear we are going to be left with egg on our faces in a few years when he's lifting the cup aloft beside Reid and we're still trying to rebuild. I hope I'm wrong but regardless, rest assured, you have a good one here.

I remember when Adam Simpson was first appointed... it felt a little bit underwhelming, and I wasn't sure the club made the right choice. But he embraced the club, and within a couple of years we played in a grand final.

I have no idea whether McQualter will be a success. But I am 100% confident the club went through a thorough process and have done their best. To all the naysayers, go and get stuffed.... give the guy his chance.

I will give the only information that I can.

This decision was made on the basis of 2 reasons.
1. The health of Steven King (he was the lead applicant)
2. The existing relationships McQualter had with the Richmond players seeking trade.

I have had discussions in the past with McQualter and he is good with the kids however I didn't get to see the full presentations as I wasn't part of the process. He inspires confidence and will certainly have his own way of doing things.

Lastly this has been finalised since last Wednesday it was just decided to announce post grand final out of respect to the AFL and in particular the teams in the lead up to the grand final.

This decision plus the grand final has thrown a lot of what i've been doing up in the air and made significant differences, I have to get back to it as some player targets, contract options and what the senior coach has presented has changed what the club is looking for and when.

I have my personal opinions on the appointment but will keep them to myself as this stage as I am busy and still working for the club.

I will be able to give full details 2 days post draft as that is when finalisation of my contract.

I wish Andrew all the best on what is going to be a very challenging role moving forward. I expect further changing to the coaching and development team to follow.

Welcome on board as the new coach Andrew.
Just glad it is all sorted and we can now get onto the next phase.
I am sure he already has some plans and styles he will implement and having looked from the outside in has some ideas about players that haven't been tried yet.
Exciting times really.

Hopefully we can also recruit a couple of high end assistants to help out as well.

2. The existing relationships McQualter had with the Richmond players seeking trade.

I have had discussions in the past with McQualter and he is good with the kids however I didn't get to see the full presentations as I wasn't part of the process. He inspires confidence and will certainly have his own way of doing things.

Lastly this has been finalised since last Wednesday it was just decided to announce post grand final out of respect to the AFL and in particular the teams in the lead up to the grand final.

This decision plus the grand final has thrown a lot of what i've been doing up in the air and made significant differences, I have to get back to it as some player targets, contract options and what the senior coach has presented has changed what the club is looking for and when.

I have my personal opinions on the appointment but will keep them to myself as this stage as I am busy and still working for the club.

I will be able to give full details 2 days post draft as that is when finalisation of my contract.

I wish Andrew all the best on what is going to be a very challenging role moving forward. I expect further changing to the coaching and development team to follow.
The bolded is disappointing and what I was concerned about.

We shouldn't be making a decision as big as the one for Senior Coach based off the preferences of some Richmond role players.

Please tell the club not to take it up the arse with Baker.

Not a fan of that reason...

We shouldn't be making a decision as big as the one for Senior Coach based off the preferences of some Richmond role players.
You'd hope this wasn't a factor in a long term decision like this.

Personally I think the board are smart enough to not consider this a factor in selecting the next coach.

I don't think the club would've appointed McQualter just to get Baker and Graham. McQualter would've just been the best candidate based off the interviews etc and it just happens that Baker and Graham are now happy to confirm West Coast as their club of choice. I'm sure they would've probably done so anyway even if one of the other guys got appointed.

Disappointed if both of those reasons played a significant part

Unless Kings health condition is really serious, would hate that he missed out because of it.

McQualter's relationship with Tiger players should have had no bearing - it's not like any of them are H.Reid - I'd rather they just appoint the best coach. Hopefully he is...

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach NEW HEAD COACH - Welcome to West Coast: Andrew McQualter

Back