News New Irish Recruit - Oisin Mullin...2022 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally, I think we should dial it down a little when it comes to Mullin..Looks like a fine athlete and yes, physically ready..

But expecting him to break into a Premiership outfit before he's even played one game of AFL football is,IMO, a little over the top.

Of course, if I'm proved wrong, that can only be a good thing for Geelong.
And without seeing his football skills

Personally, I think we should dial it down a little when it comes to Mullin..Looks like a fine athlete and yes, physically ready..

But expecting him to break into a Premiership outfit before he's even played one game of AFL football is,IMO, a little over the top.

Of course, if I'm proved wrong, that can only be a good thing for Geelong.
That's what you told us this time last year, when a few of us said Holmes was going to be a star, then you come out and say you called it on Max. lol

Merrick debuted in round 7 of his first year on the list. This bloke has higher credentials in comparison to merrick, so dont be suprised if he debuts
in the first half of the season.
Think Mullin will have the athletic and physical attributes - the big challenge will be skills with the sherrin, particularly kicking. Some of the Irish lads have adapted quickly (including Merrick and Tuohy), some brilliantly (Tahg K) and others have really struggled.
The other key is commitment/persistence - compared to when Merrick started we have a much stronger list - he’d be starting from a long way back. Even if he adapts well, I’d be backing Mullins to make a 2024 debut rather than 2023.

Last edited:
Merrick debuted in round 7 of his first year on the list. This bloke has higher credentials in comparison to merrick, so dont be suprised if he debuts
in the first half of the season.
Think Mullin will have the athletic and physical attributes - the big challenge will be skills with the sherrin, particularly kicking. Some of the Irish lads have adapted quickly (including Merrick and Tuohy), some brilliantly (Tahg K) and others have really struggled.
The other key is commitment/persistence - compared to when Merrick started we have a much stronger list - he’d be starting from a long way back. Even if he adapts well, I’d be backing Mullins to make a 2024 debut rather than 2023.
He will play a game in the first half of 2023 for sure.

I hope my timeline is wrong on him but ill not hold my breath.

They aren't gonna come out and say he sucks - but its a long way from twirling a footy drinking a coffee to hitting players on the chest under pressure.

I will say he's clearly in the best footy shape of any Class B rookie ive seen come to the club - or perhaps any club - he's in fantastic shape so that bodes well for an acceleration of his progress no doubt.

GO Catters

Okonbur arrived with a physique ready to go and didn’t mind the physical side of our game, he just couldn’t get his head around the nuances of Aussie Rules.
Let’s hope Mullin is more Tuohy than Okonbur.

The best year for Mullin’s development would be to play all his games in the VFL.

I would prefer he is getting 20+ possessions in the VFL each week and also tries out a few different positions throughout the year.

There is a queue for senior spots so we don’t need to rush his development.

The bigger achievement for this year if he likes being at the club and adjusts to living in Australia. He looks genuinely happy in the interviews I’ve seen so far.

Okonbur arrived with a physique ready to go and didn’t mind the physical side of our game, he just couldn’t get his head around the nuances of Aussie Rules
Talking of Okunbar - interesting article on Okunbar with a bit of reflecting on his time at the cats. Key takeaways are that he only got 17 VFL games over three years, due to injury. He did also point out that Irish recruits like him have to do an extra hour each day to gain the skills, but as he was injured so much and couldn't do much of that either, he really fell way behind. The fact that he has also spent his first year back in Ireland out injured makes you think that Geelong simply decided he was too injury prone rather than it being a skills issue.

As for Mullins - he was a class above Okunbar in Ireland and he already has the physique that if he was a regular draftee, you would be saying he would be playing round 1.

Okonbur arrived with a physique ready to go and didn’t mind the physical side of our game, he just couldn’t get his head around the nuances of Aussie Rules.
Let’s hope Mullin is more Tuohy than Okonbur.
I don't know if you have ever seen Stefan Okonbur play Aussie Rules TB but quiet frankly he was never going to make it as a AFL player, there's a significant difference with comparing the overall talents of Oisin Mullin and Stefan Okonbur. This kid Oisin is a natural athletic and talent, it just shines out with him, hence why he's been awarded best young Irish Footballer for NOT one but two years. And as far as his kicking is concerned he is far more likely to be one of our better kicks at Catland (I liken his physic to Christian Petracca), which apparently with his kicking he's already displaying amazing skills, so overall there is enormous upside to all parts of his game. 'So excited' to have him on board given the high class young talent we are already developing at the club with the likes of SDK, Max Holmes, Toby Conway, Ollie Dempsey, Jhye Clark, Shannon Neale, Ollie Henry, etc (plenty more?), what an amazing time to be a Cat supporter..... GO CATTERS !!!

Last edited:
I couldn't see him forcing in and becoming best 22 but realistically he is probably only two injuries to small defenders away from being in the frame. There are no defenders in the VFL.

Depends on what position they are grooming him for if its wing we have heaps of competition (smith, duncan, holmes, menegola, tuohy plus bruhn and maybe bowes will be running through the mids) if its as an attacking half back then we still have a few options (stewart, tuohy if he plays there, potentially duncan as in finals, zuthrie, bowes here if not in mids etc).
But if they are grooming him to be a lockdown small defender to take the papley/cameron types then yes we dont have anyone for that in the vfl behind bews so that might be his best way in.

Lockdown back pocket and key defender backup for sdk are probably the only things our list really lacks (apart from ruck support but the hope would be conway is ready in 12 months).

Depends on what position they are grooming him for if its wing we have heaps of competition (smith, duncan, holmes, menegola, tuohy plus bruhn and maybe bowes will be running through the mids) if its as an attacking half back then we still have a few options (stewart, tuohy if he plays there, potentially duncan as in finals, zuthrie, bowes here if not in mids etc).
But if they are grooming him to be a lockdown small defender to take the papley/cameron types then yes we dont have anyone for that in the vfl behind bews so that might be his best way in.

Lockdown back pocket and key defender backup for sdk are probably the only things our list really lacks (apart from ruck support but the hope would be conway is ready in 12 months).
We are set for some sort of era...!

He will play 1 or 2 senior games this year. They will do the same thing that they did with Merrick, even if he is not ready. If they think he is going to make it, they will gift him a couple of games midseason to give him a bit of exposure to the level he needs to get to. The development path with the Irish boys tends to be quite different to a regular draftee.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope my timeline is wrong on him but ill not hold my breath.

They aren't gonna come out and say he sucks - but its a long way from twirling a footy drinking a coffee to hitting players on the chest under pressure.

I will say he's clearly in the best footy shape of any Class B rookie ive seen come to the club - or perhaps any club - he's in fantastic shape so that bodes well for an acceleration of his progress no doubt.

GO Catters

I’m with you.
When you think that he’s 22 and hasn’t been in a professional environment at all, his build is impressive.

That doesn’t mean he can play footy. But he’s not coming from miles behind athletically. In fact, he looks ok to go.

Preseason of Jan and Feb will be very positive for him I think.

That's what you told us this time last year, when a few of us said Holmes was going to be a star, then you come out and say you called it on Max. lol

That's total bullshit...happy to see where I said anything less than praise for Max Holmes.

He fits Geelongs biggest weakness. Rebounding the football from the backline with speed. Henry, kolodjashnij, Bews and O’Connor just don’t have the agility, speed and confidence to do it on a regular basis which makes it slow football at times. Geelong from 2007-11 had great rebounders in Enright, hunt, scarlett, wojo and Mackie. Which helped move the ball with pace. So I feel get him the into team as soon as possible with Geelongs motto to move it on quickly will help out a lot. Duncan’s isn’t really a half back flanker but gets used there for he’s good disposal. only real good rebounders are Stewart and Guthrie who are the only natural defenders, with Touhy pinch hitting from wing to defence. Guthrie is still working on he’s kicking to be a real rebounding threat. So I feel Mullin should be getting games because of his pace on that alone. If we had a Saad, McKenna or even a Clark type player, someone who isn’t afraid to take the game on in other words. Playing out of the backline would make Geelong even stronger. Geelong just doesn’t have a fast or mobile backline sadly enough (good to great markers though). Too many dour defenders with not so good foot skills. So this will help the team to get a more explosive player to move the ball quickly.

Henry could be that type too but gets a little too caught up with ball in hand and might not have the nimbleness to play like that. Bews foot skills are hit and miss and once in a blue moon plays risky football where something good happens but doesn’t do it nearly enough. Koladjashnij isn’t mobile enough and doesn’t have the footy smarts or skills to execute fast attractive football. O’Connor doesn’t have the courage to do it and seems to go in his shell at times to be consistent and De Koning is still young and learning to have that offensive side to he’s game. They’re average to above average stoppers. There offensive side is just not a weapon. So it’s about finding that balance. Even someone like Jermaine Jones could help the defence out haha.

Last edited:
Bews has those three traits in spades. Just not the best decision making and disposal at times, let’s see how much better OM will be in comparison.
He’s more a stopper. Only 34 rebounds for the year. 1 bounce all year. Kicks out on the full at least once in every other game he plays. Only averaged 10 disposals and can look uncoordinated with ball in hand. Yes he’s got pace and a big bodied but doesn’t have the intrinsics to be an offensive weapon. He’s not like he’s father.

He’s more a stopper. Only 34 rebounds for the year. 1 bounce all year. Kicks out on the full at least once in every other game he plays. Only averaged 10 disposals and can look uncoordinated with ball in hand. Yes he’s got pace and a big bodied but doesn’t have the intrinsics to be an offensive weapon. He’s not like he’s father.

Only 1 bounce all year. That’s hard to believe for JB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

News New Irish Recruit - Oisin Mullin...2022 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back