News New Irish Recruit - Oisin Mullin...2022 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Mullin has been a standout on the track I'm told. Fitted in really well with the group and become a pretty popular figure already.

I spoke with someone connected down at the club and they're trying not to put too much pressure on the kid but his kicking is "elite" and he's blown the testing off the charts with burst speed and repeat running and agility testing. They already have a view that he'll play AFL games much quicker than anticipated. Coaches are thinking they're bandits on this pick.

JaMarcus Russell in the NFL went pick 2 to the Raiders.
Could throw a ball 70 yards downfield and hit a bloke in the numbers on the run from his knees

Was outta the league in 3 years as a bust - the point being the nuances of the game got him in the speed of the game.

Not saying that Larry will be that - I hope the opposite completely - but ill wait and see how he goes in full speed match sim and games before getting overly excited.

Hes got all the tools clearly.... but putting them together from ground zero will be the challenge.

Okunbor was a specimen too...

Will watch eagerly his progress and how it all plays out.

GO Catters

Could throw a ball 70 yards downfield and hit a bloke in the numbers on the run from his knees

Was outta the league in 3 years as a bust - the point being the nuances of the game got him in the speed of the game.

Not saying that Larry will be that - I hope the opposite completely - but ill wait and see how he goes in full speed match sim and games before getting overly excited.

Hes got all the tools clearly.... but putting them together from ground zero will be the challenge.

GO Catters
I've heard he's a talent. 👌

GO Catters

Id like to see how he adapts and has feel for the right thing to do in the moment. id say last year was the first time I saw the American pie do something that I thought showed he had developed a feel to some degree for the game.. so having speed and kicking talent is one thing... I want to see what he looks like in game.

but if the reports are accurate , we may have a blitz type freakish freebie on our hands. Who spot does he take?

Id like to see how he adapts and has feel for the right thing to do in the moment. id say last year was the first time I saw the American pie do something that I thought showed he had developed a feel to some degree for the game.. so having speed and kicking talent is one thing... I want to see what he looks like in game.

but if the reports are accurate , we may have a blitz type freakish freebie on our hands. Who spot does he take?
Cox is sits comfortably in the worst 30 footballers to have played that many games.

Mullin has been a standout on the track I'm told. Fitted in really well with the group and become a pretty popular figure already.

I spoke with someone connected down at the club and they're trying not to put too much pressure on the kid but his kicking is "elite" and he's blown the testing off the charts with burst speed and repeat running and agility testing. They already have a view that he'll play AFL games much quicker than anticipated. Coaches are thinking they're bandits on this pick.
You still have to have the talent to do that - even when shown the correct way

But if you look at Zac Touhy who is a beautiful powerfull kick - but was only taught that when he came to Aust - and now Mullin seems the same

The former Socceroos coach years back - the English guy Terry Venables - he had the best saying of any coach - and that was - Practise doesnt make perfect - its make permanent . And thats it - quite a few Aust kids - they pick up at a very early age - some dodgy kicking technique - and they do it over and over again - and guess what - they are stuck with it - its permanent - and they cant fix it - Fogarty the ex Geel player would be a prime example of that

So these Irish players when they are at a mature age - they are being taught the proper way to kick a football - they still have to have the ability to execute it - however contrast that to quite a few Aust kids - who have got some shocking technique - and repitition has meant they are stuck with it

You still have to have the talent to do that - even when shown the correct way

But if you look at Zac Touhy who is a beautiful powerfull kick - but was only taught that when he came to Aust - and now Mullin seems the same

The former Socceroos coach years back - the English guy Terry Venables - he had the best saying of any coach - and that was - Practise doesnt make perfect - its make permanent . And thats it - quite a few Aust kids - they pick up at a very early age - some dodgy kicking technique - and they do it over and over again - and guess what - they are stuck with it - its permanent - and they cant fix it - Fogarty the ex Geel player would be a prime example of that

So these Irish players when they are at a mature age - they are being taught the proper way to kick a football - they still have to have the ability to execute it - however contrast that to quite a few Aust kids - who have got some shocking technique - and repitition has meant they are stuck with it
Interesting theory there actually

I too echo the thoughts that it won’t be the skills that will be the issue it will be how quickly he adapts to the game and builds a football IQ which is not an easy thing to do with limited exposure to the game let alone being thrown into a new sport at a elite level with the speed and players with far more experience. Thankfully, he will have a few Irish boys to help that transition (Thouy and MOC )which will hopefully ease the pressure a bit in that regard.

Still no vision of this guy kicking a footy
Actually a few rumours floating around that the bloke doesn't even exist. The photos posted by Geelong of Mullin are apparently of a bloke who also works in JB Hi Fi in Geelong, and does a few shift at Maccas in Newcomb on weekends. Until footage appears of him kicking I think we need to remain open minded to the fact this might be a joke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually a few rumours floating around that the bloke doesn't even exist. The photos posted by Geelong of Mullin are apparently of a bloke who also works in JB Hi Fi in Geelong, and does a few shift at Maccas in Newcomb on weekends. Until footage appears of him kicking I think we need to remain open minded to the fact this might be a joke.

It’s true. An anagram of Oisin Mullin is:

I’m n illusion

Freaky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is exciting to hear!

I have reservations though from when I use to have closer connections to the club and all the assistants were saying that Billie Smedts was the greatest thing they'd ever seen and would put money on him to win the NAB rising star if they were allowed.

GO Catters
Yep exactly, weve all seen blokes who look like jets at training but no good on game day (I was one of them). Footy drills, pack marking contests, happy days.....game day? I didn't know where to position myself and read the play, found myself running around a lot where the ball never went.

This is exciting to hear!

I have reservations though from when I use to have closer connections to the club and all the assistants were saying that Billie Smedts was the greatest thing they'd ever seen and would put money on him to win the NAB rising star if they were allowed.
If Billie Smedts was the greatest thing you'd ever seen, you clearly didn't get out very much. I accept that injuries did him no favours. But both his skillset and his game nous seemed to be seriously limited to me.

One of the more glaring draft pick busts I can remember over Wells' long and illustrious career.

If Billie Smedts was the greatest thing you'd ever seen, you clearly didn't get out very much. I accept that injuries did him no favours. But both his skillset and his game nous seemed to be seriously limited to me.

One of the more glaring draft pick busts I can remember over Wells' long and illustrious career.
From all reports he (Smedts) was "burning up the track" so to speak. He couldn't be tackled during training....anyway point being that looking like a star at training doesn't always translate to being a star.

Excited to hear about Mullins progress though, better than hearing that he can't kick.

From all reports he (Smedts) was "burning up the track" so to speak. He couldn't be tackled during training....anyway point being that looking like a star at training doesn't always translate to being a star.
The Smedts one is bizarre to me. It's not as if it's only the Cats who saw something in him. He was highly rated pretty much across the board going into that draft, and then never looked anything other than a fairly limited player to me once we saw him in action.

And then Carlton gave him a shot as well, further underlining the sense that some serious footy people were seeing something in him I just couldn't envisage.

Whereas even Mullin's Gaelic highlights have me thinking that he could be a serious AFL player if he puts in the hard work and develops an ability to read the game. Looks to have some transferable skills that could really cut through in our game.

Remove this Banner Ad

News New Irish Recruit - Oisin Mullin...2022 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back