New Jersey unveiled today!

Remove this Banner Ad

"If the Fitzroy identity happened to no longer be represented in the AFL by BL, then I'd probably stop following football altogether".

Sadly, i'm seriously contemplating this myself. Out of interest, what do you consider constitutes the 'Fitzroy identity' and how much of it would have to be discarded before you pulled the pin?

Personally, I couldn't show that sort of selfishness towards my fellow Fitzroy supporters. I'm glad that the FFC board hasn't so far shown that sort of selfishness either, despite having a small number of supporters who think that it should.

I have said this before but the the biggest casualty (and saddest aspect) of the forced merger is the destruction of the "Fitzroy family"! Those pre 96 Fitzroy supporters know what I am talking about............not a cross word spoken amongst us!

The AFL have alot to answer for and it is any wonder the AFL do not want to discuss another merger and simply prop clubs up financially now.

In relation to the current legal matter, the FFC do not want a cent of BFC money..........they will settle on the BFC respecting the merger agreement.

While I don't think much of the new logo design, I would be disappointed to see this go to court.

The Bears and Lions merged (ie 2 clubs became 1), so to me, this feels like the Lions are taking themselves to court. No one can come out of this as a winner.

What about the thousands of Lions fans who support the club due to the Fitzroy links? Do you not care about how this group of fellow Fitzroy supporters will feel if your ideas are taken up?

I'm not against the idea of the club's "Honour Boards" and memorabilia being kept in Melbourne, but, if everything else you've said above were to occur, merely to appease the small number of Fitzroy supporters who "hate" BL, then it would be at the expense of a larger number of Fitzroy supporters who do in fact support BL.

If the Fitzroy identity happened to no longer be represented in the AFL by BL, then I'd probably stop following football altogether. The same goes for my father. To me, this would be very disappointing, considering that football is something that my dad and I have in common and something that we can do together. I'd suggest that this is the case for a lot of people - that football bridges gaps in age, ethnicity and social classes.

No doubt, some people will say "you can watch the Fitzroy team in the VAFA". I've been to many Fitzroy games in the VAFA over the last decade. It's always a nice day out to make it along to Brunswick St. Oval to watch the Fitzroy jumper make it around the park. However, it's not a substitute for what is offered by the Lions in the AFL, but rather something completely different that has its own set of appealing factors (note that I am not comparing the worthiness of either club's links to Fitzroy, but rather stating that the links are different). Supporting the Fitzroy VAFA team and the Lions in the AFL are two completely separate activities. In my opinion, they can be complementary, but it's hardly as if one is going to suffice for filling the void of the other, if the other happens to discontinue.

Therefore, your suggestion deprives those Fitzroy fans who have chosen to supporter the Lions fans because of the Fitzroy link of the enjoyment that they receive out of following the club merely to appease the selfishness of those small number of Fitzroy supporters who are hostile towards BL.

Personally, I couldn't show that sort of selfishness towards my fellow Fitzroy supporters. I'm glad that the FFC board hasn't so far shown that sort of selfishness either, despite having a small number of supporters who think that it should.

Brisbane's not stupid. They would of done the Math and relise there are only bout 3000 paid up melbourne lions members. They have to lease an office at the Manningham and secretarys and do mail outs and phone ups. It costs a mint to run a club now days EVEN A LOCAL one.
If you go to the Brisbane site on any day up to this year you se NOTHING i repeat NOTHING at all relating to Fitzroy-ONE tiny section for Membership only. Brisbane Is Brisbane Not Fitzroy. It is a one team town and that is the inpression the Current Brisbane Board is SENDING out, both in media and style change.

Stocka's comments in his last few posts have mirrored my thoughts entirely. Enough said on that.

Alscotoz mentioned:
"If the Fitzroy identity happened to no longer be represented in the AFL by BL, then I'd probably stop following football altogether".

Sadly, i'm seriously contemplating this myself. Out of interest, what do you consider constitutes the 'Fitzroy identity' and how much of it would have to be discarded before you pulled the pin?

In my mind, the jumper change has been a major catalyst. For over 10 years I've been either a direct BL Member or AFL Member with BL Club Support (effectively making me a financial and voting member of the BL). This year I have made the decision not to financially support the Board and Admin - I'm still an AFL Member, but effectively I have no 'Club Support' from the AFL/BL's perspective.

That makes me a 'Fan' and potential member - the kind of person that the Board disregards. So I don't financially support the Club via membership nor will I buy any merchandise.

That traditional BL jumper has become a major part of the BL identity in my eyes, as well as representing to me a major element of the 'Fitzroy' identity in the Brisbane Lions and thus the AFL. So take that jumper away, and the identity is vastly diluted, and that is what the BL Board and Admin has done. The colors, song, Jonathan Brown, Lions Melbourne game numbers, significant Lions crowd at Melb games, logo, and BL representation (and respect) of the Fitzroy history also add to the Fitzroy identity that I feel with the BL. But to me the major component is that jumper. It is a main reason why I jumped onboard in 97.

So to me the Board have diluted less important factors in the logo, and indirectly by changing the logo have disrespected Fitzroy's representation in the merged Club... but most importantly have diluted the Fitzroy identity via the guernsey change. I've pulled the pin financially. Whether I pull the pin for good remains something for me to contemplate. I hold hope that the issue will be sorted over time and we'll return to the great jumper we had - either via FFC legal involvement, or through sheer embarrassment due to ridicule, or lack of merch sales, or a combo of those factors.

IMPORTANTLY to me, the Club has also diluted my feelings as to the 'Brisbane Lions' identity of the club (Bear, Roy or late starter to the AFL) by not consulting its members on the guernsey change, by treating members and fans alike with contempt in its correspondence to us, and by unneccessarily changing the now traditional BL guernsey into a rabble outfit.

Adey couldn't really have put it better myself. My withdrawal at this stage is also only financial but that's because i have two young boys who love the Lions (and understand the history to a point) and i'll still take them to a few games a year. The guernsey is definitely the clincher for me. I'm still prepared to reconsider my decisions but at the moment will wait and see.

Well i know will cop some sh*t for this but i think like a marrige gone BAD we should be able to take back anything that was TAKEN from us in 96.
We should be GIVEN back that logo to use in special games at the B S O and herritage games. Brisbane dont want it. And ask for all Honour boards to be returned and our song to be striped from their use YES they need no more access to anything Fitzroy at all.
Like that lousy marrige get a total devorce. They could write themselfs a new song Get new Colours with any old layout. Yes Change the hole dam kit. Then after not winning any Grand finals for a few years and being in a vertual A F L nowhere for a few years i know what will happen. ALL OF a sudden people will talk of the good old days of the lions and what it was like? and maybe one day they will say HEY THOSE Fitzroy people gave us so much and its just slipped away. As i am old Fitzroy boy i want it all back GIVE IT ALL BACK BRISBANE AND THE A F L and give us a divorce. ITS NOT WORKING.:mad:

GIVE THE $6 MILLION BACK - CHEATS!!!:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

This is some of the dumbest crap i've read on BF.

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere.

The full Statement of Claim lodged at the Supreme Court of Victoria on 22nd December 2009

IN THE SUPREME COURT OF VICTORIA AT MELBOURNE
COMMERCIAL AND EQUITY DIVISION

No. SCI 10642 2009

FITZROY FOOTBALL CLUB LIMITED
(ACN 005 881 201)
Plaintiff
- and -

BRISBANE BEARS-FITZROY FOOTBALL CLUB LIMITED
(ACN 054 263 473)

Defendant

STATEMENT OF CLAIM

Date of document: 22 December 2009
Filed on behalf of: The Plaintiff
Macpherson + Kelley Solicitor's Code: 040032
Lawyers DX 17501 Dandenong
40-42 Scott Street Tel: 9794 2600
Dandenong 3175 Ref: DGL:193191:kap

1. The plaintiff is incorporated according to law.

2. The defendant:
(a) is incorporated according to law; and
(b) since 1996 has carried on the business of managing and operating the Brisbane Lions Football team in the Australian Football League (“AFL”).

3. By the terms of a merger agreement dated 17 July 1996 and/or a deed of company arrangement dated 4 August 1996 the defendant, for consideration, covenanted with the plaintiff that the logo of the Brisbane Lions football team would be the Fitzroy lion logo in perpetuity (“the agreements”).
PARTICULARS
The agreements are in writing and copies may be inspected at the offices of the solicitors for the plaintiff.

4. The Fitzroy lion logo referred to in the agreements is:
(a) depicted in:
(i) trade mark 415755, lodged on 26 September 1984 and registered on 24 May 1989;
(ii) trade mark 547027, lodged on 6 December 1990 and registered on 15 October 1992;
(iii) trade mark 751045, lodged on 16 December 1997 and registered on 8 September 2000; and
(iv) trade mark 841774 lodged on 7 July 2000 and registered on 15 March 2002; and
(b) is described:
(i) in trade Mark 547027 as “Lion, Paw on Football”; and
(ii) in trade Marks 751045 and 841774 as “Lion Standing, Paw on Ball;” and
(c) appears thus:

(“the Fitzroy lion logo”).

5. The Fitzroy lion logo was the logo of the plaintiff at the time of the merger, effected by the terms of the merger agreement dated 17 July 1996 referred to in paragraph 3 above (“the merger”), and had been so since 1977.

6. Further, the defendant admitted in August 2000 that by the terms of the agreements, the Fitzroy lion logo had to be used in its entirety and in perpetuity.

PARTICULARS
The admission is in writing and is contained in issue no. 21 of The Lion Tale, the official magazine of the Brisbane Lions football team dated August 2000. The following there appears: “Kilby [the then Marketing Manager of the Brisbane Lions football team] explained that under the terms of the merger via which the Brisbane Lions were ‘born’, the trademark lion, with its paw on the football, had to be used in its entirety and in perpetuity.”

7. The Fitzroy lion logo has been the logo of the Brisbane Lions football team at all times since the merger until October 2009.

8. On 22 October 2009 the defendant announced, in breach of the agreements or one or other of them, that the new logo of the Brisbane Lions football team for AFL football season 2010 and beyond is the logo depicted below (“the new logo”):

9. Wrongfully, and in breach of the agreements or one or other of them, since about October 2009 the defendant’s logo has been the new logo, not the Fitzroy lion logo.

PARTICULARS
The plaintiff refers to the contents of paragraphs 17 – 21 of the Affidavit of William Lawrence Atherton sworn 11 December 2009. Further particulars will be provided after discovery.

10. In the premises, the plaintiff is entitled to the relief sought herein.

The Plaintiff claims:
A. A declaration that pursuant to the Deed of Company Arrangement dated 4 August 1996 and the Merger Agreement dated 17 July 1996 the logo of the Brisbane Lions Football team in perpetuity is the Fitzroy lion logo depicted in paragraph 4(c) of the statement of claim herein.
B. An order that the defendant be restrained from using as its logo the new logo or any logo other than the Fitzroy lion logo.
C. The defendant pay the plaintiff’s costs of the proceeding.
D. Such further and other order as the court thinks fit.

22 December 2009
DJ O’CALLAGHAN

BLD WRIGHT

Macpherson + Kelley

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would think North fans in particular would understand the difference between a shit admin and a shit club.

I can understand old Roys fans feeling aggrieved by what's going on, but I would urge any considering flying off the deep end to consider their motivation.

Coming onto the Brisbane board to stir up shit by ranting about 'giving our stuff back' is not addressing the issue at hand. It's part of a different argument. I would suggest it's the element POBT made the preemptive comments about in saying maybe the FFC would take a settlement that helped the VAFA side and dudded the BBFFC supporters. The element out there that have always been angry about what happened, and have taken up with other clubs and want to see Brisbane fail as a whole would love to see any issue bust up what they always detested. Not that it'll ever bring back what they had, but to visit the pain they still feel on a whole other bunch of footy fans.

I can't blame them for being upset and angry, but the intentions of their actions are as dishonourable as what was done to the FFC in the first place. Te seek to destroy the BBFFC is to become exactly what they hate so much.

What's done is done, and what we are fighting for nowdays is the memory that many of your former brothers did follow and what many of us Brisbanites have taken to heart as part of our club. I can respect your not feeling you can follow it or be a part of it. But what we are fighting for is to protect the soul of our (the supporters) club that we feel offers a home to both old roys & bears if they want it and will be there for us always. Would you really try to visit the same agony on your former roys brothers yet again knowing how you still feel? Would you visit it on Bears fans that have taken that spirit to heart and are now fighting hand in hand with those people? If the answer is yes, you'd be best to just walk away and ask yourself if you think trying to inflict that pain you've felt on others is going to make you feel any better.

I dont usually post on other boards but i have been following this thread closely.
I wish you all the best with your action against the Brisbane Admin
I also admire your stand on the subject and the pride in Fitzroy history , it shows.
I really hope it all works out the way you want it to.

That's more like the Brisbane spirit!!

No, it's not. The vast majority have not agreed with what's been done. The 'spirit of Brisbane' is not embodied by the board. I believe what John's getting at is the frustration over what I addressed in my previous post. This debate has been long and stressful and has been one where we're asking very serious questions and having to try'n keep cool heads. The last thing we need is stirring coming from elsewhere, and what is resolved among all the BBFFC people here, no matter their heritage, is what matters first and foremost.

Me...... all I want is the jumper to remain as it was.

You don't throw history out ( we created history by winning 3 in a row wearing it ) for the sake of trying to increase membership.
Membership numbers increase or decrease in line with on field performances. That is fact !!
Again, refer Geelong the second most successful team this past decade.
Membership increased with on field success, jumper remained the same, although they did update the logo.

Being an old Fitzroy supporter, I say thanks to the Brisbane supporters for putting up the fight and also to those old Royboys that have embraced the merger and joined in to save the representation of our past.

I have two young sons, their mother and majority of our extended families follow the Cats. We live in Geelong, yet like me they follow Fitzroy or that, that is remembered as part of the Brisbane Lions. As the boys get older, they're beginning to understand the history of both clubs, that merged to form the Brisbane Lions. Either by reading books or watching videos..... At their best - Fitzroy highlights from 1986 and the DVD's from the Premiership years 2001 to 2003
Even kept every copy of the Season reviews/previews and the Lions Tale ;) for them to read.

We met Kevin Murray at a family day ( I wonder what the great man thinks of all this ) my eldest shook his hand, had his photo taken with him and you should have felt the pride I felt, when Kevin signed the back of my son's Brisbane Lions jumper.

Finally Bowers and Co need a trip to the Sports Museum located at the MCG, visit the AFL/VFL area and soak in the atmosphere of the history and traditions of our great clubs. Also view the video footage that is played as a tribute/memory of the time of the merger, there they will see and feel the passion that cannot be obtained from some marketing gimmick.....

Beautifully written with the passion and understanding that is missing from our Board MonkeyDaniel...thats what it is all about.....some things just ARE, and shouldn't be tampered with..

I got goosebumps:)

Look, FFC people had a choice post 1996 season. The FFC history options were put on the table (song, jersey history etc) Either follow BLFC, don't or follow another AFL or other team. I chose to follow BLFC because i believe what they offered at the time was adequate for me to become a member. Took a long time to come to that conclusion but glad i did. Now the goal posts are being moved by a group of people who in my opinion don't have a clue. For those that chose not to follow the BLFC in 1996, i absolutely respect your decision but to come on here with your 'i told you so' attitude and attempt to belittle your 'family' (ex?) is pretty ordinary. What the Brisbane admin have done is disgusting; if it is not rectified then i'm only there thru my kids but in some perverse way there are people out there who are glad the only link FFC have to the premier competition in Australia is being 'crucified'. If you love FFC you should join with BLFC supporters (wherever they originate from) and work to perpetuate the FFC existence. Just like it took me a while to decide to follow BLFC i ask the former FFC non BLFC supporters to consider what is going on at the moment. If you want to do the best by FFC and it's history fight against the BLFC board and admin NOT your fellow 'family' members. Cheers. Al

Not for one moment to i feel like i have been stooged (after 13 years?) but what has taken place in the past couple of months is out of order.

PS It took me a while to write 'against' fellow FFC people

If you go to the Brisbane site on any day up to this year you se NOTHING i repeat NOTHING at all relating to Fitzroy-ONE tiny section for Membership only.

I take it that you must have only looked at the front page, as opposed to the 'History' sections under the pages entitled 'The Club'.

You may want to check this section as well:

http://www.lions.com.au/theclub/history/fitzroylions/tabid/5170/default.aspx

On top of that, periodically there are articles on the website and in the club magazine ('The Lions Tale') that relate to Fitzroy, be it various events in Melbourne, Historical Society functions, articles on past-players and so on. The Fitzroy VAFA team has even got a mention once or twice.

Brisbane Is Brisbane Not Fitzroy. It is a one team town and that is the inpression the Current Brisbane Board is SENDING out, both in media and style change.

No-one has said that Brisbane are Fitzroy. I'd agree that the logo/jumper change makes the club's board and admin look as though they're out of touch with the club's members, particularly those Fitzroy supporters such as myself. However, up until this point in time, I have been fairly happy with the club's efforts to indeed make it a two-town club that has given some very good representation of the Fitzroy identity, history and heritage at AFL level. I say that as a long-term, full member of the club as well as a Fitzroy supporter and member.

Just to make sure we're accurate MG, I think we should both acknowledge that the Fitzroy VAFA team is not "Fitzroy" either. It is merely a local team that the FFC board has managed to merge with in order to represent the Fitzroy identity.

Fitzroy, as a stand-alone club and team, as it was for 100 years in the VFL/AFL, unfortunately ceased to exist at the end of 1996. The fact that the playing operations were merged with Brisbane and also the the FFC board has been able to continue to operate, has allowed for Fitzroy's identity, history and heritage to be represented by these various "outlets" since 1996.

With that said, I don't mind going to watch the Fitzroy VAFA games and it's enjoyable to watch a local team get around in the Fitzroy jumper. I also find that supporting the Brisbane Lions has been very enjoyable and am glad that there has been a team that has represented the Fitzroy identity, history and heritage at AFL level (which is the level in which Fitzroy originally existed).

Look, FFC people had a choice post 1996 season. The FFC history options were put on the table (song, jersey history etc) Either follow BLFC, don't or follow another AFL or other team. I chose to follow BLFC because i believe what they offered at the time was adequate for me to become a member. Took a long time to come to that conclusion but glad i did. Now the goal posts are being moved by a group of people who in my opinion don't have a clue. For those that chose not to follow the BLFC in 1996, i absolutely respect your decision but to come on here with your 'i told you so' attitude and attempt to belittle your 'family' (ex?) is pretty ordinary.

Brilliantly said, alscotoz. Agree 100%. :thumbsu:

I could not care less about your opinion nor should you care about my opinion of North Melbourne, apparently the team that you barrack for.

It is opinions like yours John that mean zero, just like similar sarcastic opinions by people like you in 1996.

As for a productive opinion and relevant to this thread, regardless of who I follow in the AFL, as a past and present FFC member I HAVE A STAKE in the logo matter via the FFC........I'm sure you will ignore that too John.

I am on record for supporting old Fitzroy people who decided to follow Brisbane and admire the Brisbane people who are fighting the fight to uphold the merger agreement. That won't change.

Remove this Banner Ad

New Jersey unveiled today!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back