News New Jumpers for 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Possible brisbane leaks, source - myteamshop.com.au. Blue cuffs on away strip and writing on the inner collar of all guernseys.
Good, they went back to blue cuffs for their red uniform, the gold ones were atrocious. Although, I wish they'd make the yoke longer at the back like their late 2000's ones.

Lions have gone full side-stripe (like the early 2000s) for their shorts, which is a change from the Lions logo cutting off the stripe

59420---Mens-Home-Shorts-Front__78137.1702015483.png
60255---Youth-Away-Shorts-Front__29805.1702015199.png

Possible brisbane leaks, source - myteamshop.com.au. Blue cuffs on away strip and writing on the inner collar of all guernseys.
Given the whole point of the away jumper is for Brisbane to be wearing a Fitzroy design, it was weird to see them get rid of the blue cuffs last year. I guess they wanted to try something different and provide some consistency across all three jumpers, but it just wasn't as good with the yellow cuffs in comparison to the blue cuffs. A good change imo.

Something in their constitution prevents them from using a black sash for some reason.

Constitution also requires them to wear black shorts, but they wore red for a period of time. Their constitution is flexible when they can be bothered.

Major “Don’t make me tap the sign” issue for Essendon supporters.

To be clear: the Essendon constitution does NOT include any rules on what our clash jumper needs to feature.

The constitution states that we will wear our home kit (a black jumper with a red sash) in all games… subject to the AFL’s rules.

Ie, it will be worn expect if the AFL tells us we can’t, such as when they tell us to wear a clash strip.

There is NOTHING in the constitution that dictates what we wear in those circumstances.

However, the club has CHOSEN to retain a red sash on every jumper because it is the single enduring symbol of the club. The VFA was formed in 1877, and every jumper we have worn in any game since has featured some form of red sash.

It is something the club has chosen to honour over going with a black sash or anything else. Personally I like that they have, but there’s certainly nothing in the constitution that says they have to.

This is the closest we’ve come, but the black sash has a smaller red sash within it.

Would love the Bombers to embrace red shorts with their clash.

Agree, I’d like to see the red jumper paired with red shorts. And a third white kit with the same sash design.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Major “Don’t make me tap the sign” issue for Essendon supporters.

To be clear: the Essendon constitution does NOT include any rules on what our clash jumper needs to feature.

The constitution states that we will wear our home kit (a black jumper with a red sash) in all games… subject to the AFL’s rules.

Ie, it will be worn expect if the AFL tells us we can’t, such as when they tell us to wear a clash strip.

There is NOTHING in the constitution that dictates what we wear in those circumstances.

However, the club has CHOSEN to retain a red sash on every jumper because it is the single enduring symbol of the club. The VFA was formed in 1877, and every jumper we have worn in any game since has featured some form of red sash.

It is something the club has chosen to honour over going with a black sash or anything else. Personally I like that they have, but there’s certainly nothing in the constitution that says they have to.

This is the closest we’ve come, but the black sash has a smaller red sash within it.

Agree, I’d like to see the red jumper paired with red shorts. And a third white kit with the same sash design.
All it states is that it must consist of a black jumper or guernsey with a red sash... subject to the rules and directions of the AFL. So the fact that the club keeps wearing a red sash even on red doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Red and black with a sash IS Essendon, doesn't matter if the sash is red on black or black on red to be honest - everyone who watches footy immediately knows the club by the sash alone.

All it states is that it must consist of a black jumper or guernsey with a red sash... subject to the rules and directions of the AFL. So the fact that the club keeps wearing a red sash even on red doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Red and black with a sash IS Essendon, doesn't matter if the sash is red on black or black on red to be honest - everyone who watches footy immediately knows the club by the sash alone.

The constitution is irrelevant to this discussion, there's nothing in it regarding what our clash jumpers need to be.

"Not making sense" is a strange comment. Since the VFA started, one single symbol has endured for Essendon in every game: a red sash. It was originally on navy blue, then on black, it's had other details and features for special jumpers, and it's also been on grey, on red, and now on a larger black sash on a red jumper. But it's always been there.

The club has simply opted to continue that tradition, that's all. It makes perfect sense.

Who cares what people who watch footy think. That's not why it's done.

Plenty of people are keen to see a black sash on red and now they pretty much have that, there's just a smaller red sash on it. Who knows, it might get even thinner and be just a thin red line. But I don't think the club is going to get rid of it., and that's fine.

News New Jumpers for 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back