KUNG FU

Norm Smith Medallist
May 31, 2006
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Petrenko #23 - do not like. rest are good
Someone had to get #23 - and all of the candidates are either recent additions via trade, or 2nd/3rd year kids who are yet to establish themselves.

I think Macca would have wanted it to go to an indigenous kid & with Tambling taking #1 Petrenko was the only other option. We don't have a whole lot of aboriginals on our team list any more, having lost McLeod, Jacky and Griffin at the end of 2010. Tambling, Johncock, Armstrong & Petrenko are the only ones left.

I've always been on the sceptical side of the divide with Petrenko, but he does have an excellent reputation around the club. Even Rendell nominated him as someone who will be in the leadership group in the next couple years presuming his football develops well over the next 12 months.

I've always been on the sceptical side of the divide with Petrenko, but he does have an excellent reputation around the club. Even Rendell nominated him as someone who will be in the leadership group in the next couple years presuming his football develops well over the next 12 months.
Just needs that small defender opening. He's not extremely versatile with his position, the club have tried (and the regret of most supporters) to squeeze him forward, but that's not his game.

Wanting to see Martin play off the HBF a bit in the PS, the Goody number is perfect.

Hope Tambo lifts the #1 into decent history (no hate Greg Anderson).

We haven't made a habit of retiring numbers, even temporarily, in the past...

Ben Hart's was retired and maybe Nigel Smarts'?

I think the number 23 could've done with a year off but then you would probably have to rest 36 as well.

Hopefully Jared has a successful career :thumbsu:

Just needs that small defender opening. He's not extremely versatile with his position, the club have tried (and the regret of most supporters) to squeeze him forward, but that's not his game.

Wanting to see Martin play off the HBF a bit in the PS, the Goody number is perfect.

Hope Tambo lifts the #1 into decent history (no hate Greg Anderson).

I'm still glad we tried him as a forward and I don't think we should abandon his development in roles other than small defender. You are right though, his best spot is in defence and the sooner he is able to play that role regularly the sooner he'll hit his straps. I'm just worried that he is a little one-dimensional & small and that really limits his prospects long-term. Not to mention he spends a little too much time on the injury list. Anyway, let's not allow my comments to detract from what I consider to be good news and hopefully a little psychological token that takes Petrenko's game to the next level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ben Hart's was retired and maybe Nigel Smarts'?

I think the number 23 could've done with a year off but then you would probably have to rest 36 as well.

Hopefully Jared has a successful career :thumbsu:

As I recall the only number that has ever been retired was 32, and that was only for the singular 2008 season.

I don't think Hart's is retired, and Nate van Berlo has been wearing Nige's quite well for some time now.

Hart gave his to Gallman.

I swear Hart's number was retired. Whether it was for long or not I'm not sure...

Here I just found this post from 2007:

afc numbers for 2008

34 - Greg Gallman (Ben Hart had his number 'retired' for 5 years by the club and requested that it be allocated to Greg Gallman)

I swear Hart's number was retired. Whether it was for long or not I'm not sure...

Here I just found this post from 2007:

Good find. Still doesnt make up for the vB error though. :p

P.s. im fairly sure Nikkinoo is an academically accepted source. I reference her in essays.

Don't mind seeing Petrenko get the #23.

At least it goes to someone who McLeod knows closely and I'm guessing would have had a fair bit to do with up to this point in his career.

Plus we aren't going to be drafting a young McLeod anytime soon, if that's what we were going to wait for we would never see the 23 out there again.

petrenko definately looked much more comfy down back this year than when up forward. i, like most, would have preferred to have seen him spend almost all his time down there. but, i'm guessing that for his overall development and creating the best football player he can be in 2 or so years, the coaching group thought that playing him forward was the best option. couldn't have had anything to do with match-day results, so must have been about development.

Pretty happy with this. There'll obviously be a few who aren't keen on the sacred #23 being on anyone's back right now, but Pets is a good kid, I think he'll do okay with it. #10 suits Saenschsational as well, though I was keen on him getting 30 for the Vardy factor (and #36, for the Jaesnch is a gun factor).

I find it a little amusing that some fans get a fired up / emotional over jumper numbers. In 50 years time there will have been at least another five players to wear each of the numbers 23 / 32 / 36. All the emotion attached to Macca, Roo and Goody will be long gone. In the end they will be fond memories and grandpa tales.

Darren Jarman was arguably one of the greatest players to wear number 3, yet I can't recall there being much angst at his number going to Massie or Reilly. Look at the great number 6 - Griffin, Watts, Byrne, Nelson. That number must be ruined by now!

In any event, I'm looking forward to these guys having solid careers with the club and play to the best of their abilities.

#32 must always remain with a gun ;)

Originally Posted by NikkiNoo
afc numbers for 2008

34 - Greg Gallman (Ben Hart had his number 'retired' for 5 years by the club and requested that it be allocated to Greg Gallman)
Astute call from Hart there.

Remove this Banner Ad

New numbers nominated

Remove this Banner Ad

Back